• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I'm guessing you did not watch the program. As it points out, the only athletes who benefit from carbs are sprinters. Long distance runners/cyclists/etc operate better on a high fat diet which helps the body to use the fat stores which are far more plentiful than a carb shot.

Because appearing on a TV show means it is a per reviewed and generally accepted scientific theory.

I'm guessing you did not watch the program. As it points out, the only athletes who benefit from carbs are sprinters. Long distance runners/cyclists/etc operate better on a high fat diet which helps the body to use the fat stores which are far more plentiful than a carb shot.

So, you are wrong there.

As far as "turning the body anabolic", that's one of those half truths politicians use. The "bro science" that you need carbs to trigger an insulin response is like saying you need a sledge hammer to knock in a thumb tack. Yes, you could, or you could just push it in with your thumb. Take in any food/liquid beyond plain water and you get an insulin response. Protein, fat, lettuce. It all has an insulin response. Sometimes the response lasts longer, sometimes it's greater in volume than other items, but it still gets a response.

WPI will spike your insulin nicely without the risk of long term pancreatic damage. So does steak and bacon. You don't need a cup of sugar to get a response.

I actually set it to record a week ago and watched it last Thursday on ABC.

You just confirmed my point; athletes benefit from carbs. I would certainly class weight lifters or gym rats in the athlete category opposed to a long distant runner category. Lifting heavy weights require relatively short bursts of intense force. Yes, fats and protein will provide energy to do this, but it isn't optimal. It's one of the reasons pre and intra workouts are loaded up with carbs and some sugars.

Try it yourself. Have 3 low carb days in a low to deplete glycogen and do an intense workout. You'll have no where near the energy compared to consuming carbs and sugars before the same workout.

Insulin is a growth hormone. You can eat lettuce if you want post workout which will barely trigger an insulin response. Or you could eat carbs pre and post workout to trigger a greater insulin response, which is exactly what you want after breaking down your body in the gym so your body gets the signal to grow.

Life in general just sucks for me without carbs.

Yep. 10 days I lasted once. My conclusion? It fucking ruined me. Still hit calories nicely, but was under 30gm of carbs for 10 days. Energy was gone from day 4. It never returned. Strength was non existent, and what I did have didn't last long...

added carbs back as normal. Took a week and I felt okay again. Worst self experiment. Won't be doing it again. A balanced diet works best for me. Absolutely no question.

I actually set it to record a week ago and watched it last Thursday on ABC.

You just confirmed my point; athletes benefit from carbs. I would certainly class weight lifters or gym rats in the athlete category opposed to a long distant runner category. Lifting heavy weights require relatively short bursts of intense force. Yes, fats and protein will provide energy to do this, but it isn't optimal. It's one of the reasons pre and intra workouts are loaded up with carbs and some sugars.

Try it yourself. Have 3 low carb days in a low to deplete glycogen and do an intense workout. You'll have no where near the energy compared to consuming carbs and sugars before the same workout.

Insulin is a growth hormone. You can eat lettuce if you want post workout which will barely trigger an insulin response. Or you could eat carbs pre and post workout to trigger a greater insulin response, which is exactly what you want after breaking down your body in the gym so your body gets the signal to grow.
1.Pre workouts are filled with amino acids not carbs.
2.you need more than 3 days to be properly fat adapted and be able to use fat for fuel.

I shouldn't have used the word 'loaded'.

Some examples:

BSN NO-Xplode 2.0
Serve 22.5g.
Carbs 10g.

MusclePharm Assault
Serve 23g.
Carbs 9g.

To be fair, some pre workouts contain 0 calories and carbs. But the whole point of a pre workout is to boost energy and alertness. The amino acids are for recovery and are usually consumed intra or post workout.

yesterday I had 80g of fat, 142g of protein, as part of my 2700 calories for day. Still 1800 come from carbs.

I shouldn't have used the word 'loaded'.

Some examples:

BSN NO-Xplode 2.0
Serve 22.5g.
Carbs 10g.

MusclePharm Assault
Serve 23g.
Carbs 9g.

To be fair, some pre workouts contain 0 calories and carbs. But the whole point of a pre workout is to boost energy and alertness. The amino acids are for recovery and are usually consumed intra or post workout.
These two amino acids are key ingredients to any preworkout

beta-Alanine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Arginine alphaketoglutarate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would say pre-workouts are chock full of protein not carbs

Just have a look at the amino acids page on bulk nutrients

Bulk Nutrients Amino Acids Range

Most of them a pre-workout supps

The ingredients vary a lot by manufacturer. Either way, it's not really here nor there in regards to the 'carbs as a fuel source' topic.

Is it strange that I've never felt an ounce of difference with a pre-worked? And that a well timed small meal of protein and carbs, around 30gm each, works insanely well on its own?

I'm the same. I'm a bit indifferent to pre workouts. I've tried many, but nothing has really had a memorable effect. I may notice it if I'm very tired and sluggish in the afternoon, but it only gets me back to neutral. I find 4 rice cakes about an hour before the gym is much more noticeable in terms of extra energy.

I get a huge kick from pre-workout, consumed on an empty stomach they make a huge difference. Especially when training in the morning.

Eat a balanced most of the time, have some carbs - focus more on proteins and fats though - but always eat towards your goals - just like you train towards your goals.

When it comes to dieting I personally think keto for alot of people is fantastic and it brings us back to how we should really be eating.

Eat a balanced most of the time, have some carbs - focus more on proteins and fats though - but always eat towards your goals - just like you train towards your goals.

When it comes to dieting I personally think keto for alot of people is fantastic and it brings us back to how we should really be eating.

You contradict yourself from one paragraph to the next.

Why is keto how we should be eating.

You contradict yourself from one paragraph to the next.

Why is keto how we should be eating.

How am I contradicting myself?

I believe that we should get most of our food sources from meats, animal fats, nuts, fatty fish, oils, avocados, eggs etc

Of course when your not dieting add some forms of carbs in there, oats, rice, pasta etc - this changes from person to person though - I know some guys that can eat 500g+ of carbs everyday - if I look at a bowl of rice I put on weight - use your common sense, and get to know your body.

This is simply my personal view - and before you ask no I don't have an article backing it up, no I don't have a university study, no I don't have blind trials.