• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Coming back after a break

jj80

Anyone ever had trouble coming back to lifting after a break?

I have just started working out again after an injury put me out for a few weeks (>1month now?). I'm having issues doing long workouts. Just no energy. Benched 120kgx1 for a hard single the other day (bad for me).

I had totally forgotten what it feels like to quit mid set cause I didn't like the pain. Managed to push through my wimpiness tonight somewhat and get out 3 sets of 10 chins but I should have done more back work after (but didn't). Could also be due to work related stress but ughhhhhhh.... Never been so unmotivated.

Guess it just takes time to fall back into the routine.

I had about 7 months off. Only because I was working in some no name town in Tazzie that didn't have a gym. The closest one was an hour away.
But got back into it quite easily because I missed the training and feeling good.

I've had time off due to a broken leg, but was desperate to come back, was itching, almost going nuts without weights.

I had about four months off over winter - I had pneumonia.

I had a couple of attempts at re-starting during that time, but too early - I couldn't do it, and I got sicker.

However, once I was really over the chest problem, I'd try to start again, but very gently, as if I were just beginning - not going anywhere near the weights that I had been able to lift before.

That was mid-August - now I'm doing better than I ever was before.

I think that what helps is not to think "I've lost all my strength! I can't do what I used to be able to any more!", but "I'm starting [again]! Let's see what I can reach!" - and then measure your progress from there.

The people who have horrific injuries or strokes, and have this attitude, probably do better than those who don't - they count it as a great achievement when they can first stand up, or feed themselves, or something like that.

Anyway, your "hard single" bench of 120kg is far beyond what I can do - 120kg bench is a distant goal that I aspire to!

set some goals.
im a manual labourer and ive done a variety of things that interrupt with being able to train optimally.i sometimes yearn for a job where i could sit at a desk and command peasants and save my energy however thats not gonna happen any time soon.
in a funny way i like having to use energy to make money and unfortunately due to my lack of materialistic fervour, im kind of content being a nobody.nevermind
im not sure i have the mentality to run a business and accept responsibility anyway lol..i dont know if making decisions that could cost many people their jobs would suit me.
id never sleep.
it screws with your bench the most so im surprised you can come back after a long layoff and bench at 90ish%.

Last edited: