• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CrossFit and Functional Training |The Fundamental Problems

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=5]Here's what you need to know...[/h]
  • Strength and skill can't be developed through methods that employ constant variation.
  • Strength is the most important physical attribute, improving all other attributes, like speed, agility, balance, and power. Basic barbell training is the best way to build strength.
  • CrossFit and "functional training" completely miss the point of basic strength training.
  • A wobble board squat can't translate to a skilled performance in an actual sport, unless the sport is wobble-board squatting with light weights.
  • An increase in strength always improves athletic performance.
read more here T Nation | CrossFit and Functional Training

Kind of to a degree this is correct, although 90% of crossfitters are not there to become world beaters, they are there for a good sweat out and for the social aspect of it, anyone who is serious about competing is on a fairly routined program which works technique and weightlifting weekly, this week alone ive only done 1 of the daily prescribed workouts, all my other ones were programmed for overall improvement,
comparing the average crossfitter to a competitive one is like comparing your average gym goer to a aspiring bodybuilder or power lifter,

Strength and skill can't be developed through methods that employ constant variation.
Correct, not until the skill of an exercise is achieved, strength can then progress
Strength is the most important physical attribute, improving all other attributes, like speed, agility, balance, and power. Basic barbell training is the best way to build strength.
Basically correct in terms of performing exercise, which are all by-products of strength and most important..flexibility.
Basic barbell movements are the best way in terms of simplicity but does have limitations in terms of proper exercise.

CrossFit and "functional training" completely miss the point of basic strength training.

Most methods do IMO

A wobble board squat can't translate to a skilled performance in an actual sport, unless the sport is wobble-board squatting with light weights.
Correct

An increase in strength always improves athletic performance.

Mostly, to a degree.

Muscles have the ability to perform unlimited movement, to a point where nobody really understands the functions, if one says they do they are a fool, Nerves that originate from a given muscle for example cross over other muscles and in some circumstances just end randomly.

So it would then also makes sense that a limited (small) number of "proper" exercise is all one needs to benefit.

I don't get the wobble board comment, I've never seen or heard of one being used in Crossfit,

sport specific: skills of sport and conditioning of relevant muscles.

Unless I was a weightlifter, would avoid such movements for most sports. Not necessary.

I read somewhere that most elite level crossfitters like Rich Froning and the luscious Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet don't do any of the WODS daily, they're on a routine developed by their coaches. They'll do a WOD for public events or box visits.

I read somewhere that most elite level crossfitters like Rich Froning and the luscious Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet don't do any of the WODS daily, they're on a routine developed by their coaches. They'll do a WOD for public events or box visits.

I've read the same thing.

Nor should they. They are elite athletes and doing the average joe programming is hardly going to make them the best.

Nor should they. They are elite athletes and doing the average joe programming is hardly going to make them the best.
It's done on the downlow though, crossfitters are under the impression the pros are doing the exact same routines as they are.