• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bodybuilder claims disability benefits claiming too weak to walk

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
767750-2ef90ba6-64a9-11e4-a360-a5bf402bfb8e.jpg

Cheat ... Peter Beddoe claimed nearly $54,000 in disability benefits while at the same time competing in bodybuilding championships. Picture: home.bt.com Source: Supplied

A BENEFITS cheat who claimed to be too weak to walk has turned out to be Mr Wales, a competitive bodybuilder.

Peter Beddoe, 49, from South Wales, claimed nearly $54,000 in disability benefits while at the same time competing in bodybuilding championships, even taking out the title in the Mr Wales Over 40 contest.
A court heard that Beddoe visited the gym every day and was a respected role model on the British bodybuilding scene.
He was being paid the higher rate of disability allowance meant for people who could not walk, Wales Online reported.
VICIOUS: Female bodybuilder arrested over boyfriend attack
PRICE TO PAY: Secret sacrifices of entrants in bodybuilding competitions
767778-2a92f4dc-64a9-11e4-a360-a5bf402bfb8e.jpg

Caught out ... Beddoe was busted after tip offs from the public alterted authorities to his actions. Picture: Walesnews.org.uk Source: Supplied

He scammed the system claiming he needed a walking stick, crutches or other means of support to be able to get around, a far cry from the images of him strutting his stuff on stage.
Officials from the Department of Work and Pensions launched an investigation after two tip offs that he was illegally claiming benefits while competing in bodybuilding contests.
The investigation uncovered that he made 340 visits to the gym in one year alone, using weights in his training sessions.
Prosecutor Stuart McLeese said, “Between 2008 and 2013 he visited the gym more than 1,100 times.”
Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard Beddoe took up bodybuilding to build up the muscles around his spine after he was involved in an accident at the age of 30.
Wales Online reported that he legitimately claimed disability benefits at the time but didn’t notify the department of working pensions that his health had improved and that he was receiving help with pain management.
Lawrence Jones, defending, said, “Mr Beddoe has to accept that when his medication improved and pain management improved he should have let the benefits agency know.”
767830-23f08024-64b1-11e4-a360-a5bf402bfb8e.jpg

Sentenced ... Beddoe was sentenced to six months in jail. Picture: BBC Wales News Source: Supplied

Beddoe admitted to two charges of making dishonest representations to claim benefits and one of fraud between 2006 and 2013.
Judge Recorder Richard Booth jailed him for six months saying his “disgraceful” offences were so serious that only a prison sentence was necessary.
The judge told him, “Your claim for disability reads ‘I would injure myself without support. I need a frame or other means of support to be able to walk...’
“But you failed to disclose you were training as a bodybuilder and exercising over a long period.
“You were awarded a higher rate for those who are unable to walk but I see that you made 1,100 visits to the gym between 2008 and 2013.
“You also passed yourself off as a role model to other bodybuilders at the gyms where you trained.”
The court heard Beddoe - a former hairdresser before claiming benefits - had shown no remorse for his offences and had told investigators “everyone exaggerates their claims”.
After the case Carolyn Davies, team fraud leader with the DWP, said, “We were very surprised when we had two anonymous tip offs that a bodybuilder was receiving disability benefits.
“It’s unfair that some people get support when they do not have a disability, while many people depend on the benefits system to provide a safety net.”

It's actually a legit claim when you think about it.

I know I'm written off after a big training session. Can barely stay awake at work.

Damn media just looking for a scape goat ;)