• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gut health - foods and supps

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
Morning all,

i have recently been thinking about improving the function of my digestion system, as I have suffered from many gut related ailments over the last 3 years.

i have started taking 2 teaspoons of Apple cider vinegar, and the juice of half a lemon in warm water 20-30 mins before my 3 main meals, to aid in digestion.

i take a probiotic in the morning with breakfast, and try and eat reasonable quantities of green matter, and also use vital greens daily.

i am considering introducing glutamine 3 times daily to help my stomach lining and General gut health, and also moving to HCL instead of Apple cider vinegar before meals.

To give a frame of reference I have been a life long sufferer of GERD/GORD,mand for the last 5'years have been using a medication called nexium, that is a proton pump inhibitor. Recent testing has indicated my digestive system is under stress, and I am very low in magnesium. These are both long term side effects of nexium use.

from my recent research a lot of GORD is actually mis diagnosed, and is actually low levels of HCL, not excess stomach acid.

i am going to introduce some of these measures, and start making home made kefir to get my gut flora in the right direction.

has anyone else experienced any of this, or have a EDUCATED perspective?

cheers all.

Do you eat much yoghurt? I have some with breakfast every second day and feel much better when it's regularly in my diet. Also a random yakult isn't a bad idea.

It could be as simple as something that your gut doesnt like. I have had gut issues for years now, I been diagonised with lactose intolerance and IBS by a gastro doctor after being anal probed. The crappy thing with IBS is that is doesnt really have a clear definition but its more if you have a certain set of symptoms they will diagnose you with IBS. I do my best to try and stick to a low fodmap diet which helps alot. With IBS it effects everyone differently so it can be really hard to know what you can eat without going on an elimination diet. I know with myself I seem to have an issues when I eat vegetables/fruit, even if they are low fodmap they can flare my stomach up, I think I could have an intolerance to insoluble fibre but im still trying to figure this all out. I know garlic and onion flares my gut issues and it is found in majority of processed food, you can see that if you have something like this the amount of problems it can cause unless you make all your own food from scratch.

Also do you suffer from depression, anxiety or high amounts of stress? Ive have severe depression and social anxiety which takes a major toll on my gut health, since starting anti depressents it has definitely helped with reducing my ibs flareups. The gastro doctor got me to start taking nexium but I stopped as it would make me randomly through up undigested food. If I did what you did on a daily basis it would flare up alot of gut issues from the apple cinder vinegar, the super greens etc. The funny thing is the healthier I tried to be the sicker I got, anyway just wanted to share my experience. IMO the best thing to do would be to go on an elimination diet, that is really the only way to really know if your problems are caused by something you are eating.

Hopefully chocchilli will chime in as I know she has some gut issues and she seems very well informed.

I've had GORD on and off for about 5 years - too much alcohol, smoking, spicy food and getting fat were the likely causes; I took Nexium for 3-4 years, then tried cutting back to Zantac, then cutting down the dose of that until now when I only take a Zantac if I start to get symptomatic (generally only from overeating or drinking), this was in addition to stopping smoking and cutting back a lot on the drinking.

I tried inner health plus etc, didn't make any changes that I could notice, same for eating probiotic yogurt etc. Had never heard of HCL before

An alternative to kefir could be sauerkraut or any other fermented food , the fiber from sauerkraut could help with Prebiotic as well as the Probiotic.

It could be as simple as something that your gut doesnt like. I have had gut issues for years now, I been diagonised with lactose intolerance and IBS by a gastro doctor after being anal probed. The crappy thing with IBS is that is doesnt really have a clear definition but its more if you have a certain set of symptoms they will diagnose you with IBS. I do my best to try and stick to a low fodmap diet which helps alot. With IBS it effects everyone differently so it can be really hard to know what you can eat without going on an elimination diet. I know with myself I seem to have an issues when I eat vegetables/fruit, even if they are low fodmap they can flare my stomach up, I think I could have an intolerance to insoluble fibre but im still trying to figure this all out. I know garlic and onion flares my gut issues and it is found in majority of processed food, you can see that if you have something like this the amount of problems it can cause unless you make all your own food from scratch.

Also do you suffer from depression, anxiety or high amounts of stress? Ive have severe depression and social anxiety which takes a major toll on my gut health, since starting anti depressents it has definitely helped with reducing my ibs flareups. The gastro doctor got me to start taking nexium but I stopped as it would make me randomly through up undigested food. If I did what you did on a daily basis it would flare up alot of gut issues from the apple cinder vinegar, the super greens etc. The funny thing is the healthier I tried to be the sicker I got, anyway just wanted to share my experience. IMO the best thing to do would be to go on an elimination diet, that is really the only way to really know if your problems are caused by something you are eating.

Hopefully chocchilli will chime in as I know she has some gut issues and she seems very well informed.
Thanks for your reply.

i had never experienced depression etc, but about 2.5 years ago I got bad insomnia. After battling this for 12 months it led to mild depression.

the GP put me on a anti depressant, and whilst this allowed me to lift my mood and gain some perspective, it did nothing to help my sleep.

i have spent thousands upon thousands on sleep studies, phycologists, cognitive behavioural therapy to help me sleep over the last year, all to no avail.

I recently started kinesiology and accupuncture as alternative methods, and both showed my gut being under stress. The kino showed a larger magnesium deficiency.

i came off the anti depressants as they had not helped with my core problem. I have been off for 3-4 months and feel normal. I use a sleeping pill to get me by, but the problem remains.

from my research nexium severely depletes magnesium, and hinders absorption of it.

magnesium is a key mineral in adrenal health, and ultimately relaxation and sleep.

i am exploring this relationship further, with the view to reduce and eventually come off the nexium, but I am looking at strategies to help avoid the acid rebound (even if I have very low acid currently)

Do you eat much yoghurt? I have some with breakfast every second day and feel much better when it's regularly in my diet. Also a random yakult isn't a bad idea.

I do eat Greek yogurt, but from what I understand kefir has many more strains and larger volume of both pro biotics and beneficial yeasts.

I've had GORD on and off for about 5 years - too much alcohol, smoking, spicy food and getting fat were the likely causes; I took Nexium for 3-4 years, then tried cutting back to Zantac, then cutting down the dose of that until now when I only take a Zantac if I start to get symptomatic (generally only from overeating or drinking), this was in addition to stopping smoking and cutting back a lot on the drinking.

I tried inner health plus etc, didn't make any changes that I could notice, same for eating probiotic yogurt etc. Had never heard of HCL before

HCL = hydrochloric acid. One of the key components of stomach acid. It is usually combined with peptin to help digestion.

from what I have read a lot of GERD is actually due to low stomach acid, and is misdiagnosed by GPs and the valve opening up due to PH. Introducing HCL makes the stomach more efficient at digesting and absorbing nutrients. I have been reading a lot of info on this.

You don't have a gluten or dairy intolerance that you're not aware of?

Both of those are possibilities, but not my core focus.

i have had GERD for over ten years, and over that time have dieted right down to low bf % using both zero carb and zero dairy diets.

my issue has never been aggravated by food specifically, but rather is always in the background unless medicated.

it would get worse if I didn't eat regularly when younger, before I started taking nexium.

An alternative to kefir could be sauerkraut or any other fermented food , the fiber from sauerkraut could help with Prebiotic as well as the Probiotic.
Hi,

yes i I have looked at that too, however the preperation of proper sauerkraut seems a lot more troublesome than kefir. From what I uderstand you simply add the kefir grains to a cup of milk and leave it ferment for 24 hours, then strain,mand put the grains in a new cup of milk, with the fermented stuff able to be drunk through the day.