• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've had endep as well. Makes me drowsy as fuck. Doc tried to up my dose but I was a walking zombie all day. It didn't get rid of my pain but reduced it a little.

Good luck with the recovery

I had one Endep tab (25mg) an hour before bed....had my best sleep I've had for a long time. I first fell asleep on the couch and the Mrs woke me up to come to bed. I did feel like I was in a Zombie trance walking from the couch to the bed. Got to bed about 10pm and didn't wake till 6.45. This is a sleep in as I am normally up just after 4.30am I get pretty bad sleep apnea which normally makes me toss ad turn as well but I didn't move last night.
Felt a bit grogy this morning, like a mini hangover that lasted an hour. Best thing is it seems to have blocked some nerve pain.

Another visit today. Not the news I wanted to hear tho. My fingers are not moving as much as they expected due to the scar tissue build up.

So looks like full recovery will be longer then anticipated. Apparently as explained by the surgeon the fitter and healthier you are the scar tissue will build up quicker. Its part of the heeling process. So now that the scar tissue is growing it prohibits a smooth glide of the tendons.

But the scar tissues does mature...a bit like cheese in a brine bath. It will eventually soften and allow everything to move freely again....hopefully.
Worst case scenario that if after 6 months things don't improve I have another operation to scrape some of the tissue to make a silky smooth path for the tendons.

My wound has nearly healed. Pic on the left is when I had my stitches out 2 weeks ago. Looks like toasted crusty cheese mmm. Pic on the right is from today. You can see the scar from my palm and it makes an "S" shape towards my forearm. At the crease of my wrist it was cut about 30mm to the right.

Follow up with the hand therapist today. Cast is finally off....yay! But still a long uphill road ahead.
I have about 3 hours of finger and hand exercises to do each day as well as massage my scar tissue 3 times a day for 10 min
Its a full time job this rehab. Can still only can just move my fingers. Index and thumb have no sensation at all.

I have to wear this silicone gel sheet over my scar every night. It is suppose to help heal the scar tissue and soften it.
One reason why I cant completely move my fingers is that the tendons snag on the hard scar tissue. But this should improve over time...

Follow up with the hand therapist today. Cast is finally off....yay! But still a long uphill road ahead.
I have about 3 hours of finger and hand exercises to do each day as well as massage my scar tissue 3 times a day for 10 min
Its a full time job this rehab. Can still only can just move my fingers. Index and thumb have no sensation at all.

I have to wear this silicone gel sheet over my scar every night. It is suppose to help heal the scar tissue and soften it.
One reason why I cant completely move my fingers is that the tendons snag on the hard scar tissue. But this should improve over time...
Positive to at least get the cast off mate. Especially in the heat!

Hey BFG, good to see you comming along.

If you haven't figured it out yet, 2nd to the pain and annoyance of the injury itself, is the painstaking rehab. This is the bit that takes ages and your diligence and effort now will offer you the best possible outcome at the end. Scar tissue is a nasty byproduct of the body repairing and protecting itself. Unfortunately the scar tissue can only be broken down through manual manipulation. I'm sure as your rehab continues over the comming months the physio will become more intense and often very painful. I'm sure you've been told all this, but I just want to remind you to keep smashing out all your prescribed exercises to their letter, as tedious, boring and painful as it is.

Hey BFG, good to see you comming along.If you haven't figured it out yet, 2nd to the pain and annoyance of the injury itself, is the painstaking rehab. This is the bit that takes ages and your diligence and effort now will offer you the best possible outcome at the end. Scar tissue is a nasty byproduct of the body repairing and protecting itself. Unfortunately the scar tissue can only be broken down through manual manipulation. I'm sure as your rehab continues over the comming months the physio will become more intense and often very painful. I'm sure you've been told all this, but I just want to remind you to keep smashing out all your prescribed exercises to their letter, as tedious, boring and painful as it is.
Thanks mate. The rehab is a really like a full time job at the momentHave had some good improvement this week.I can now roll my fingers around my dumbbell. I can only lift 5kg max at the moment.But ever so slightly I am getting more movement.Still another 4 weeks until everything is fully healed then I can increase weight and exercise volume.

Another visit today.

The hand therapist was blown away by my improvement in the last 2 weeks. She said she sees people with a lot less severe injuries who don't even recover this quick.

So was some positives to come out of today. I can move up to 8kg dumbells now and slowly increase weight. Still a fair bit to go but its coming along.

Follow up appointment today. Its now 12 weeks since surgery. Tendons are now fully healed so I can not tear or damage them now.
This means I can increase my weight. Still can't actively make a fist but getting close.
Still zero sensation in the fingers and thumb.

I can hold my own weight on the chin up bar but can do a chin up yet. Pumped out light some barbell curls for the first time in 3 months. Pumped!!.
But simple things like turning the key in the car ignition or holding a pen is awkward because of no nerve feeling in the finger.

Will still have another 3 months off work I think. Hopefully will have a bit more nerve growth by then. I have a few projects to keep me busy till then.
Cheers

Sounds like some mixed news mate, am glad to hear it's healing well but no change in sensation to the finger and thumb isn't good

First chest work out in over 3 months tonight. Made it thru with no problems doing 3 sets of each.
Started with just the bar on bench press and worked up to 60kg. Wrist felt pretty good so went on to incline barbell at 60kg.
Finished off with body weight dips. Could only do 5 reps of these.

Will see how the hand and wrists feels tomorrow but I feel confident it will be ok. There was no pain during the workout. Just have to slowly work up my strength again.

It was only a short workout but it has my appetite racing again.

Another appointment today with the hand therapist. I swear she wants me.
Just about have full movement back now....I would say about 98%. Again she was blown away with my progress and wished all her patients where like me.

So she is hitting on me ya thinks??

Still no feeling in the thumb and fingers. She had me close my eyes and jabbed my hand with a pin to detect the sensation in my hand. They call this nerve mapping. I think she was just perving on me honestly.

Cranking the weights up tomorrow and starting to hit it harder. I was going to go back to work the end of this month but she wants me to have another 2 months or possibly more off. I think she just wants to spend more time with me.