• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Will have a break from upper body for about at least 4 to 5 months until I can close my hand and get a decent grip.
I will start doing squats and standing calf raises once I can use my hand a bit to stabilize the bar.

No good bro, you'll look like Peter Sagen doing that, or worse, maybe even Andy Schleck, better pump the left gun and tell the chicks you're a pro tenni$$$$$$ player rather than a cyclist.

No good bro, you'll look like Peter Sagen doing that, or worse, maybe even Andy Schleck, better pump the left gun and tell the chicks you're a pro tenni$$$$$$ player rather than a cyclist.

Ha Ha... I could be a left handed pro tennis player but considering how retarded and unco I look using my left hand I don't think that will convince them.

One thing I know is I wont be giving blood for a while. I was taken to emergency by ambulance and some friends came over and stayed with the wife and son.
I am in the emergency ward, drip hanging from my arm, still in shock from it all and I receive this text message from the wife with the attached pictures:
"Once again I'm left to clean your bloody mess up!"

Appointment at the orthopaedic ward at the hospital this morning. Scheduled to have the stitches removed if everything has knitted back ok.
Will probably get some more light exercises to do. My thumb and index finger have no feeling at all due to the nerve damage but I can move them.
Can still only move my finger to just under half way then they just get stuck, seize up. Frustrating!
I can only close my fingers into a fist if I use my other hand to assist.
Another 4 weeks and my cast comes off.

Back for a check up at occupational health yesterday. Fingers aren't moving enough yet like they thought they should be. Still a bit of swelling around the hand which they said is normal for this type of injury and surgery. They said they only see about 10 types of these injuries a year so its hard to judge recovery from one person to another.
Back to orthopaedic surgeon on Thursday again for check up.
I think I no the RBWH hospital inside out....and they don't miss ya for parking fees.

Had my weekly follow up this morning. The skin on my wrist wound is slowly heeling, it looked a bit gross a week ago. Have had to change the dressing on a daily basis now and apply a sodium chloride dressing to help dry and heal the damaged skin.
Nerve pain has slightly increased which they said might happen. Might have to visit the gp and get some endone in to me.

just read thread tonight; I wish you well with your recovery
Thanks very much for your wishes....I am confident and staying positive on making full recovery and coming back stronger.
I will have some time to concentrate on the wheels now and get them up to speed!
Cheers

Is the nerve pain localised or shooting up the arm / through the hand? Does it pulse or is it constant?

Watch the endone taking too often, it can fuck with your head and leave you mega lethargic. Good for pain relief but it does have longer term side effects which are not always advantageous. When possible, I use to just take it at night so I could get some semi pain free sleep then put up with the pain during the day, or for as long as I could stand. It's the sitting idle bit that keeps the mind on the pain. Keeping busy takes your mind off it.

Keep up the good work.

Is the nerve pain localised or shooting up the arm / through the hand? Does it pulse or is it constant?

Watch the endone taking too often, it can fuck with your head and leave you mega lethargic. Good for pain relief but it does have longer term side effects which are not always advantageous. When possible, I use to just take it at night so I could get some semi pain free sleep then put up with the pain during the day, or for as long as I could stand. It's the sitting idle bit that keeps the mind on the pain. Keeping busy takes your mind off it.

Keep up the good work.

The nerve pain was shooting thru the palm of the hand to the finger tips.
I'm off the Endone. They gave that to me while in hospital and agree was well needed at night to help with sleep.
I'm on lyrica at the moment which is designed for nerve pain. But for full effect you are required to take it for 4 weeks for full effect.....at my dose anyhow.
Nights are the worse, sitting on the couch before bed....as you said sitting idle heightens the sensitivity. It's nothing severe but enough to keep you unsettled.
Cheers

Another weekly follow up.
They have increased my Lyrica dose to 300mg a day as some of the nerve pain is getting a bit uncomfortable. They also have put me on another med called Endep. I take this at night as it is suppose to reduce the pain even more and makes you drowsy as well.
Endep is actually an anti depressant but in low doses blocks the nerve pain apparently. If it doesn't kill the pain at least I will be extra happy:)

Cast stays on for another 2 weeks. My skin/wounds have just about healed up so will be able to stop applying the dressing daily.
Still a long road ahead

Another weekly follow up.
They have increased my Lyrica dose to 300mg a day as some of the nerve pain is getting a bit uncomfortable. They also have put me on another med called Endep. I take this at night as it is suppose to reduce the pain even more and makes you drowsy as well.
Endep is actually an anti depressant but in low doses blocks the nerve pain apparently. If it doesn't kill the pain at least I will be extra happy:)

Cast stays on for another 2 weeks. My skin/wounds have just about healed up so will be able to stop applying the dressing daily.
Still a long road ahead

I've had endep as well. Makes me drowsy as fuck. Doc tried to up my dose but I was a walking zombie all day. It didn't get rid of my pain but reduced it a little.

Good luck with the recovery

Also nerve pain is the most painful thing I've had to deal with. I feel for ya.

Thanks mate, yeah it is a weird feeling. One minute my fingers are hot then its a cold flush from the inside out. Sometimes it feels like someone is pulling my fingers from the inside out.....cant really explain it.
The Endep tabs they gave me are 25mg. Doc said have one an hour before bed.Hopefully they can assist with my sleep a bit.

Thanks mate, yeah it is a weird feeling. One minute my fingers are hot then its a cold flush from the inside out. Sometimes it feels like someone is pulling my fingers from the inside out.....cant really explain it.
The Endep tabs they gave me are 25mg. Doc said have one an hour before bed.Hopefully they can assist with my sleep a bit.

Yep. Same tabs. Doc put me on two 25mg tabs but I couldn't do it. Supposedly the dose is 150mg for depression. I suppose you won't be depressed if you are sleeping all the time.

[MENTION=16347]BrisVegasGhost[/MENTION]; is the fact that there is nerve activity, even though it's painful a good sign?

@BrisVegasGhost ; is the fact that there is nerve activity, even though it's painful a good sign?

Not exactly. The pain sensations can come from the tendons that where repaired as well. As the tendons heal it is like a tightening inside the fingers. There was about 9 components joined back together being the main artery, nerves and tendons. As well as the 50 odd stitches to seal me back up. As this repairs it creates a tightening/ shrinkage feeling.

The nerve does grow back slowly, very slowly....they estimate 1mm a day. So I have about 220mm of nerve to grow back. They said it normally grows back up its original path. It can sometimes go off the path which can cause minor issues.