• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How healthy are kebabs?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
KEBABS are bloody delicious.

But a cheeky late night or lunchtime kebab is often accompanied with a mountain of food regret. We’ve always assumed kebabs are super unhealthy, but hoping to convince ourselves otherwise, we asked nutritionist and dietitian Susie Burrell for the lowdown.
And the good news is, Burrell says kebabs are “actually not that bad”.
“They’re not deep fried. The meat’s not too bad. You get some salad in there. I think there are worse options,” she said. Score!
261838-0d67def4-6094-11e4-8f83-4f43733686cd.jpg

Om nom nom. Source: Supplied

Burrell says the key to keeping your kebab healthy is to skip the cheese and extra creamy sauces.
“When you have cheese, sour cream, garlic sauce … that’s when it goes a bit haywire. So skip those and you can ask them for less meat, although that’s probably not going to happen at 2am,’’ she says.
She says the main problem with kebabs is the portion size — they’re basically two serves of food.
“A kebab is around 500-600 calories. And often you’re having a kebab after you’ve already eaten dinner. But in terms of the composition it’s not awful. Nutritionally it’s not too bad.”
261892-024cf70c-6094-11e4-8f83-4f43733686cd.jpg

Ask for extra salad and less meat to make your kebab healthier. Source: Supplied

Burrell says asking for a ‘baby kebab’ — some kebab shops sell small or kids’ sizes kebabs — or sharing one with a friend (cute) is a good option.
“Kebabs or a grilled chicken burger or a plain hamburger are OK late night food options. Pizza is one of the worst. So are fried chips and fast food burgers, because they’re so easy to overeat,” she says.
I know what I’m having for dinner tonight.

Kebabs: Healthy or not?

I have definitely eaten my fair share of kebabs over the years!

when I was younger and bulking pretty hard core I would get the kebab guy near my work to make me a double- two wraps to make,one huge one, triple chicken, lots of cheese, sour cream and salad.

I wouldnt have have been surprised if it was 2000 calories!

ok ok , i have slow on the take up , i have only just started buying kebabs , and must say i am quite hooked on them

My 'usual' would easily be over 500 cal.
Chicken, double meat, egg, cheese, sweet chilli and sour cream.
They're writing this article on the "2am kebab" worrying about calories but no mention of the bulk cals that would have been consumed prior with alcohol

Give it a go man, usually toasted but for some reason it's so hard to get toasted kebabs in Perth

Give it a go man, usually toasted but for some reason it's so hard to get toasted kebabs in Perth

That place at Harbourtown toasts it real good, it turns out crispy. The only problem though with double meat and all the toppings the kebab starts to split down the side and everything starts to gush out like a prolapse nightmare hahah.

To counteract that, tell them to get rid of the kabouleh bullshit, no need for salads and shit when you just want meat, moar meat. :cool:

There's a place round the corner from me that opened up recently that toasts them properly and make their own bread fresh in the morning, they're killer at lunchtime! Usually go in for "the usual" at lunch and get a steaming hot Turkish loaf straight out of the oven to go

I don't give a fark if they cause your ass to drop out, they taste damn good and I will not abandon them!

i love a kebab only started eating em a couple years ago but damn they are so good.... glad they are not to unhealthy better than pizza anyways

I often wonder why the people who right these articles believe that lower calorie = healthy option.

Don't know if they are aware that not everyone is constantly trying to lose weight.

Ha. Susie Burrell. I have some good stories about her. Lol. She was our dietician for a few years. Unprofessional is an understatement when it comes to her. But somehow she gets some good media gigs. Maybe her talents away from the diet advice have something to do with it lol

She has a regular spot on 2GB afternoons.

Fuck me some of the shit, but occasionally she does make some good points.

I often wonder why the people who right these articles believe that lower calorie = healthy option.

Don't know if they are aware that not everyone is constantly trying to lose weight.

because most kunce are obese or at risk of it

I love kebabs / souvi, especially the local souvi place that cooks real meat with charcoal mmmmm. Wouldn't think they would be any worse than a decent hamburger with the lot.

I often buy open kebabs, skip most of the soaked bread and sauces, and it's lean as fuck, fuken.