• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

steveP

I searched for a general holiday or SEA travel thread and there weren't any.

Anyway, I'm heading to Vietnam at the end of the year as somewhere new to visit. Just wondering who else has been there and do you have any tips. Things like places to visit, money saving tips, dealing with the locals. I've been to Thailand and I assume it will be a similar culture. I'm not one to be bothered by busy streets or pushy shopkeepers.

The first thing I need to sort out is a Visa to Vietnam, as I've heard horror stories of people being forced to get the next plane back home as they didn't have a pre approval letter for a Visa On Arrival.

The plan is to fly into Ho Chi Minh City and pre book a few nights. Then once there, travel up or down the coast to some of the resorts.

I've heard the following places are worth checking out:
- Phu Quoc Island
- Nha Trang
- Hoi An
- Halong Bay
- Da Nang

Think [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION] ; too
watchout some boys look just like girls there

I visited only Singapore in the last month with my whole family. It is the most famous Asian country. It is a home of countless incredible places. I explored there many things like; Singapore Zoo, Jurong Bird Park, Singapore Botanic Gardens and Tiger Sky Tower. All of these things are awesome for fun in Singapore.

I was thinking of going to Singapore this year. But it seems like you could do everything in 3-4 days. It's not somewhere like Thailand where you could stay for 2 weeks and never be bored.

Why not Stevep. You should go to Singapore this year. I am very happy that you like to reply me. I am sure you will spend a great time in this country. It offers lots of amazing things for fun. I must say you don't forget to share your experience with me after coming back.

Singapore provides a perfect climate to the visitors. My uncle has visited there one year ago. It has marvellous attractions like Sentosa, Singapore zoo, Universal Studios Singapore, Jurong Bird Park and Underwater World Singapore. SteveP I would like to suggest you that should may go there. I am sure you will have there ideal time.
]

Last edited by a moderator:
Singapore is really nice destination to visit. But i have never been there before because I just want to get complete and sufficient information about it. Well Elizabeth have shared here really massive information about the beautiful and awesome destinations. I want to see some images here. Anyone like to share here?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Thank you please for the gracious input and check out my website flingflongnewbie.com.

I've been there 4 times, stay a the marina bay sands, don't leave the joint cos:
a) its too fuken good
b) its too fuken hot

Marina-Bay-Sands-Hotel-Singapore.jpg

I have been to Vietnam twice. Both times just rocked up at the border and got the visa there - no preapproval necessary imo.

I did a pretty typical tourist route first time, which was ho chi min - Nha trang - hoi an - hue - hanoi - halong bay - back to Hanoi. All with overnight sleeper buses.
I did it all with no pre-booking, and would say that was the easiest. Everything is super easy and cheap to book once you are there.
If you want to be lazy, there are plenty of companies that run tours based on what you are describing, they book your accommodation and transport, then you are free do to what you like when you get to the different places. I've used Intrepid when i visited Laos; the guide was excellent and we didn't have to do any thinking at all, just enjoy the experience.

Nha trang was awesome for water/adventure sports. Hoi An had best food and super relaxed vibe. Others were all kinda similar.
Hustle and bustle of the bigger cities in ho chi minh and hanoi, hanoi being very smelly and grosse.
I also enjoyed the Viet War exhibits and cu chi tunnels out of Ho Chi Minh.
Ha Long bay was a lot of effort for what it was worth, but i'd say worth doing once.

My experience with locals were if you were courteous to them, they were courteous to you. Pretty easy to pick those trying to cheat you and those trying to simply make their living.
I'd recommend bringing AUD cash and exchanging there, exchange rate in Melbourne at least was definitely worse. If you choose to use the locals rather than banks to exchange, be super careful and count the money thoroughly - we were attempted to be cheated with short changing.

We also did singapore on a stop over on the way back.
3-4 days is enough.

Too fukn hot.
Too similar to any other international city.

I did a pretty typical tourist route first time, which was ho chi min - Nha trang - hoi an - hue - hanoi - halong bay - back to Hanoi. All with overnight sleeper buses.
I did it all with no pre-booking, and would say that was the easiest. Everything is super easy and cheap to book once you are there.
If you want to be lazy, there are plenty of companies that run tours based on what you are describing, they book your accommodation and transport, then you are free do to what you like when you get to the different places. I've used Intrepid when i visited Laos; the guide was excellent and we didn't have to do any thinking at all, just enjoy the experience.

We did a similar thing, got off the plane in Ho Chi Minh City and played it by ear. Stayed there for 3-4 days looking at the near by attractions such as the museums and Chu Chi tunnels. Then went on a 3 days tour of the Mekong Delta. It went right down to the Cambodian border. The further out you get from the main cities, the more cheap and nasty it gets. The hotel beds and food were not good, but you got to see a lot of the "real" Vietnam down south.

Then we hopped on a sleeper train and went up to Nha Trang. It was so good there that we stayed there a week, including NYE. We got a beach front hotel for like $25 a night on the main strip. It wasn't the fanciest hotel, but you can't argue with that price. We were smack middle in the Polish Town or something, as the Vietnamese waitresses spoke to us in English, but with a Polish/Russian accent. Was weird. And just across the bay was Vinpearl island, a massive theme park island.

After all the cheap hotels, we went all out and got a luxury hotel back in Ho Chi Minh City for 2 nights before flying back. We just assumed we would get the sleep train again. We were wrong. They celebrate New Year's Day on the 2nd of Jan, and everything was booked out, even flights. We were lucky to get on a dodgy student double decker/bunk bus that broke down half way with no air con.

I'll try to dig up some pics.

I've been there 4 times, stay a the marina bay sands, don't leave the joint cos:
a) its too fuken good
b) its too fuken hot

Marina-Bay-Sands-Hotel-Singapore.jpg
Will go and stay there some time. Would like to go when the grand prix is on one year. You've been before then yeah?

Will go and stay there some time. Would like to go when the grand prix is on one year. You've been before then yeah?

Haven't been there for the GP, but my mate is communicating with them for the GP weekend package, need 20 kunce and you you get the weekend package, with the overlooking balcony and a fully crazy waitress serving drinks during the race.
Looking forward, we go to the KL GP with the boys every year and we have a blast, this would be insane. Besides the pool they have bars and a nightclub up on the roof top, last time I was stil in the pool posing the guns at the Asian chicks in the nightclub.