• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Robert Oberst’s 20,000 calorie strongman diet

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Across those six meals a day, Oberst consumes 15,000 to 20,000 calories — at least five times the recommended daily intake for Australian males.
He eats directly before going to the gym because it enables him to workout harder for longer.
“When you go to the gym and your body’s fuelled up with good nutrients and protein, when you get to the point when you’re working hard and you’re hitting your last reps, you’re burned out, there’s something else in there driving you,” Oberst explains.
“Instead of reaching down and there’s nothing there, you have some power left.”

367539-b8dfaa98-5a4d-11e4-bb41-d2d878d2a380.jpg

Oberst packs his trolley with eggs. He says he could easily eat a carton a day. Source: YouTube

Oberst’s diet consists of largely of eggs, meat, pasta and rice. And lots of it.
For breakfast, he’ll eat 8-10 eggs and then snack on whole boiled eggs throughout the day.
For lunch, he’ll often have two large steaks.
Dinner is a pasta meal, which also includes meat.
And in between it’s more meat and more eggs, plus he finds room for six cups of rice.
The main rule is Oberst consumes 1.6kg of meat per day, which can come from various sources.

367567-b928e38e-5a4d-11e4-bb41-d2d878d2a380.jpg

Meat, meat and more meat. Source: YouTube

“Basically, I clean out the meat section,” he says of trips to the supermarket, where he packs his trolley with beef, turkey and pork.
“It’s got to taste good and it has to have a high protein content,” he says.
He eats no cheese and no dairy.
“It’s very strict,” Oberst says. “I get one day off every four weeks where I can eat what I want.”
The 29-year-old is currently the second strongest man in America but “I am working my arse off take first place”.

367595-b8673874-5a4d-11e4-bb41-d2d878d2a380.jpg

Oberst competes an the truck pull in China. Source: Getty Images

A former American football player, Oberst worked as a bouncer at a bar before a colleague encouraged him to join strongman.
He describes his job as “travelling around the world and lifting up heavy weird objects”.
“I get paid to be the freak show. I’m fine with that.”

Pretty impressive. He sure is a big unit so that amount of food seems fitting for his size and activity levels.
Not sure just how good for you all that meat is in the long run. Didn't see much fruit or vegies etc.

I can't see how eating just before training gives him more energy. It's virtually impossible his body could assimilate all that nutrients into usable energy in such a short time. More psychological than anything.

Looks like he has a great family unit which would be a huge support for his lifestyle and profession. All power to him.

I thought most strongmen 'only' ate 5-7000 cals per day? I suppose it makes it hard if you don't do dairy at all.

This guy is the bro scientist of strongman. Excess protein (unless on BULK gear), scared of food groups while eating that many calories is just retarded.

And basically proves that you can indeed get pretty over weight while eating nothing but "clean" foods

You will always gain weight regardless of food type - I believe he could prob eat less and get the same results - but you have to take it with a grain of salt - does he really eat that much food every single day? some people are very good at marketing themselves.

And also we have to remember his one single goal is to be stronger - not to look good, feel good, even possibly be that healthy - excess of anything is never going to be a good idea but some people are driven to reach their goals and some things they do don't always make sense - doesn't mean its right or wrong though.

well he is a pro strongman so I'd assume gear use, and most of them are pretty porky with the exception of Hafthor Bjornsson and Derek Poundstone, just that 20k cals seems ridiculous even for a strongman, not to mention being physically able to eat that much!

And basically proves that you can indeed get pretty over weight while eating nothing but "clean" foods

Yep, I proved this. I ate a pretty clean diet through my bulking cycle earlier this year. Nearly all the same food I was eating when cutting down, just more of it. Still put on plenty of fat.

No way he would constantly be hitting 20k cal EVERY day... And as eluded to, that much protein every-day?

His body must be fubar'd.