• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spotters Ettiquette

chopsuey

So I now go to a fairly blokey gym and today was asked by a fairly regular lifter to spot him.

Sure, no worries.

Smith machine shoulder press behind the neck was the move.

So I stand to the side and he tells me he wants 4 reps.

He really struggled on rep 3 so I super gently helped him lift the bar with one finger, then on rep 4 I gave a subtle 'come on, up' and again a gentle, subtle lift and we were done.

Did I do the right thing by speaking on rep 4?

I ask because I get shitty unless I indicate to a spotter to help me

I reckon your fine, spotting and being spotted by someone on a one-off basis is something you cant complain about too much. I reckon it's like a sacred relationship that becomes fine tuned over time until you can communicate almost subconciously. If he asks you again you know you did good.

Spotting on a one off basis is pretty hard. You don't know how they train at all and what they're capable of lifting. Spotting in a smith is stupid. I get the "mental assistance" that comes as soon as someone puts a couple of fingers on the bar but seriously, toughen up and just lift!

I got asked to spot once (usually just ignore kunce), guy wanted 5 reps. Struggled on the second so I started to 'assist' (ie two fingers) on the third... Got yelled at to get off the bar, so I did. He didn't get the rep out and never asked for my help so he racked it on the safety.
Apparently I was the bad guy for not spotting correctly... Told him to fuck off and went back to my own thing.

I guess you've got to communicate but from training on my own, on the rare occurrence that I train with someone and they start talking it up, I just lose focus, crack up and the lift is gone. It probably helps some people though?

I always communicate how I want them to help first (stop me from dying only), but even still some will jump in to get involved when I'm grinding it out..
Its better than no spot at least. No point giving them stick about it

Getting random kunce to spot you is a crapshoot. You have to tell them EXACTLY what you want them to do and sometimes that isn't even enough.

"I'm going for 5. Last two will be a grind. Don't touch the bar unless it starts to drop" ...assists on 1st rep. Shoot me.

I try and avoid being a spotter like the plague.

far too often the lifter will have way too much weight on the bar, and I have injured myself before assisting where I really shouldn't have had too.

as I am getting older and no longer lift heavy weights due to past and current injuries, I sure as hell don't want to risk one for someone else.

Is that you in the avatar pic?
I'd be more than happy to show you how this spotting thing is done correctly.

Is that you in the avatar pic?
I'd be more than happy to show you how this spotting thing is done correctly.

I think that this is it.

"Smith Machine" is an anagram of "mechanical spotting device".

"Could you spot for me?" means "Do you come here often?".