• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
"Squats, Bench, dead - thats all you need"

"I've been doing 5x5 for 5 years now"

"You don't need to train arms to get big arms - all you need is squats"

I have been I suppose guilty of saying squats will biuld big arms, but in the context of;

A good upper boby routine will stimulate growth in the arms but adding good heavy squatting will stimulate a lot of muscle, the bigger muscles, producing many chemicals in the body that spread throughout to stimulate further growth in the system.

I have been I suppose guilty of saying squats will biuld big arms, but in the context of;

A good upper boby routine will stimulate growth in the arms but adding good heavy squatting will stimulate a lot of muscle, the bigger muscles, producing many chemicals in the body that spread throughout to stimulate further growth in the system.

Of course!

Always good to keep it simple though - you want big arms - train them - you want big legs - train them - you want a big back - train it etc etc

When asked if this is true, I've always answered these words:
Kunce who can squat heavy grow muscle faster than Those who can't / don't, still have to train everything.

As someone who is currently unable to do heavy squats or deadlifts, I have replaced these with Bulgarian split squats, RDL's much lighter and rows I guess. Do you think that would have a noticeable difference to upper body growth?

You don't need to "confuse" a muscle, you need to give it a reason to grow via progressive tension overload.

"don't eat xx food because it has sugar in it, except for 30mins post workout because then all the sugar goes straight to your muscles"

As someone who is currently unable to do heavy squats or deadlifts, I have replaced these with Bulgarian split squats, RDL's much lighter and rows I guess. Do you think that would have a noticeable difference to upper body growth?

You don't need to "confuse" a muscle, you need to give it a reason to grow via progressive tension overload.

"don't eat xx food because it has sugar in it, except for 30mins post workout because then all the sugar goes straight to your muscles"

In this case it would be more relevant to a person who has never squatted, than you or me.

how does working your quads make your chest bigger? releasing more testosterone? im not scientist but ive read that it wasnt significant enough to do much for us.

Last edited:
how does working your quads make your chest bigger? releasing more testosterone? im not scientist but ive read that it wasnt significant enough to do much for us.

It won't make your chest bigger, but putting your largest muscle groups under extreme stress through compound movements facilitates the release of small amounts of additional growth hormone.

this in turn with a decent training protocol for other muscle groups should help growth.

This is was my understanding over the years, however there could have been studies done since to change this belief.

The indirect effect of exercise, in that growth somewhere produces some growth everywhere, the magnitude is based on the mass of muscle involved, in that the closer the neighbor the greater the effect.

as a muscle works intensively a chemical reaction occurs that spills over and effects the entire body.

since there is a limit to your overall recovery ability, and since many of the body's chemical functions affect the entire body, it should be evident that training everyday is a mistake.

which makes it apparent that the effect is greatest when all major muscles are worked at the same time.

All I'm saying, you can biuld large arms without working without working your legs - but you will biuld them much larger and much quicker, if you also exercise your legs.

ill go further to state that most trainees react to the lack of progress by procuring their own chemicals, supplements and shit, instead of using their heads.

"hard-work" should be its own anti-overtraining, if the intensity is high as it should be and workouts brief you would not want to return for days.

Last edited:
The indirect effect of exercise, in that growth somewhere produces some growth everywhere, the magnitude is based on the mass of muscle involved, in that the closer the neighbor the greater the effect.

as a muscle works intensively a chemical reaction occurs that spills over and effects the entire body.

since there is a limit to your overall recovery ability, and since many of the body's chemical functions affect the entire body, it should be evident that training everyday is a mistake.

which makes it apparent that the effect is greatest when all major muscles are worked at the same time.

All I'm saying, you can biuld large arms without working without working your legs - but you will biuld them much larger and much quicker, if you also exercise your legs.

ill go further to state that most trainees react to the lack of progress by procuring their own chemicals, supplements and shit, instead of using their heads.

"hard-work" should be its own anti-overtraining, if the intensity is high as it should be and workouts brief you would not want to return for days.

Agreed.

If if I am going to do a heavy workout on a major muscle group I will do it Friday, allowing the weekend to rest and eat,more calories.

I will then train my stronger body parts/ smaller groups through the week

People on this forum tellng me all I need is a squat rack and oly bar with no attachments.

People on on this forum telling me I just need to train three days a week with a beginner routine.

People on on this forum who look like Danny Devito acting like Arnold Schwarzenneger this page

People on this forum tellng me all I need is a squat rack and oly bar with no attachments.

People on on this forum telling me I just need to train three days a week with a beginner routine.

/QUOTE]

Doing that and you would be training better than 95% of people in the gyms.