• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Skipping breakfast may actually be good for you

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
SKIPPING breakfast could actually be the best way for Australians to tackle obesity, fatty liver disease and other related conditions.

While it seems to go against accepted wisdom, evidence is growing that losing weight by fasting between 8pm and midday, could have health benefits beyond weight loss.
Melbourne gastroenterologist Dr Alex Hodge is due to present his surprising research at the Australian Gastroenterology Week conference tomorrow, which may eventually change dieting advice.
Dr Hodge’s study involved 32 patients who were split into two groups. One group skipped breakfast and the other followed standard diet and exercise advice.
After 12 weeks, both groups lost about the same about of weight but those who fasted also reduced their waist circumference, which is one of the best indicators of liver damage.
They also had improvements in visceral fat, insulin resistance, blood pressure and other measures of liver damage.

Skipping breakfast could be the best way to lose that food baby. Source: Supplied

Dr Hodge told news.com.au that fasting might not be suitable for everyone, including children, pregnant women, the elderly or those who require insulin, but he was hopeful it could help others.
“It’s cheap and relatively easy to do, you don’t have to count calories but of course eating healthy doesn’t hurt,” he said.
Interestingly, there was no difference in calorie intake, activity levels, quality of life or hunger between the two groups.
Dr Hodge said he found that those who fasted seemed to eat the same amount of food, as they tended to eat more at lunch and dinner.
“People didn’t like not having milk in their coffee ... and had a hunger bump in the morning but once they were over that, they were OK,” he said.
“There were no other negative benefits we found, from such a small study of course.”
Unfortunately, like most other diets, participants tended to put the weight back on once they stopped.
“When the standard care group was changed to intermittent fasting for an additional 12 weeks,
they continued to show improvements. However the fasting group started gaining weight and waist circumference when crossed over to standard care,” Dr Hodge said.

You can lose weight while eating what you want. Source: News Limited

The Monash University researcher said that he hoped to get his work published in a journal and also complete a larger study that would confirm his results.
Although only 32 patients, who all had fatty liver, were involved in the current study, Dr Hodge said the results were “statistically significant”.
He also hoped to include participants with metabolic issues, as it is unclear if skipping breakfast has an impact on a person’s metabolism.
Dr Hodge said non-alcoholic fatty liver disease was an increasing problem currently affecting more than 5.5 million Australians.
“(It) is a red flag for other conditions — associated with three times the rate of diabetes and twice the rate of heart disease,” he said.
About 5 per cent of people with the disease would go onto to develop cirrhosis.
“Anything people can do to lose some weight, and especially around the waist, will delay the onset of illness,” Dr Hodge said.
AGW is the key conference of the Gastroenterological Society of Australia, the peak professional body for health professionals working in the disciplines of gastroenterology and hepatology.

Research shows skipping breakfast could be the best way to lose weight

This statement is what just made me headbutt my desk so early in the morning

“It’s cheap and relatively easy to do, you don’t have to count calories but of course eating healthy doesn’t hurt,” he said.

These studies/news stories don't take into account that most people are eating shitty food in the morning. It's more about cutting out shitty food than not eating.

Last edited:
I think the positives in the result reflect what the results are with the 5/2 diet , where you fast for 2 non consecutive days a week . Fasting keeps your body in repair mode and fasting for a short time in the morning would keep the overnight repair going for a little longer .

Proper eating is a must though , eating for nutrition that is .

I think the positives in the result reflect what the results are with the 5/2 diet , where you fast for 2 non consecutive days a week . Fasting keeps your body in repair mode and fasting for a short time in the morning would keep the overnight repair going for a little longer .

Proper eating is a must though , eating for nutrition that is .
urrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh 90% of people on the 5/2 diet or loosely on it think it gives them the golden ticket to smash as much as they want and what they want on them 5 other days, then have no idea why it isn't working

I have no doubt that would be correct .

The whole calorie counting thing is still flogged hard everywhere , was just watching an ad the other day for the latest national health campaign and it was the simplistic calorie in calorie out through exercise to lose weight , thats been thoroughly debunked for a long time yet its the topic of convo mostly because plenty of people are making money from it .

Quality of calories is not mentioned at all :( .

I have no doubt that would be correct .

The whole calorie counting thing is still flogged hard everywhere , was just watching an ad the other day for the latest national health campaign and it was the simplistic calorie in calorie out through exercise to lose weight , thats been thoroughly debunked for a long time yet its the topic of convo mostly because plenty of people are making money from it .

Quality of calories is not mentioned at all :( .

you serious bloke? haha

I can assure you that you can not "eat whatever you want" if you skip breakfast and you will lose weight. I've been IFing for the majority of the last 4 years and have bulked up for the majority of the time.

Might have misunderstood me jzpowahz ,I have no doubt that StrungOut's opinion on the 5/2 diet is correct .

I mentioned quality of calories for a reason and it wasnt to say you can eat whatever you like , far from it.

The human body is well designed to turn whats eaten into stored energy ie fat quickly , its how we have survived famine as a species .

Speed of digestion of food is of major importance so eating high fiber fruit and vege's which digest slowly and release energy over a longer time cannot be compared to a meal of the same calorie count that is high in processed carbs for instance which are digested quickly and stored as excess just as quickly .

Speed of digestion of food is of major importance so eating high fiber fruit and vege's which digest slowly and release energy over a longer time cannot be compared to a meal of the same calorie count that is high in processed carbs for instance which are digested quickly and stored as excess just as quickly .

If it's the same calories it doesn't matter.

I wouldnt recommend bypassing breakfast , I agree with the science behind fasting in that your body is in repair mode while your not digesting food.

Delayed breakfast would be as far as I personally would go but not skip it , just keeping the body in repair mode for slightly longer after sleep .

Sorry I dont believe all calories are equal , not by a long shot. A meal high in digestive sugar will become fuel in the body much more quickly than a meal high in fiber with a slower release time , the total calories in a day could be equal but the body wants to store that ready made fuel as fat more quickly , not to mention insulin spikes and the following crash would very much affect someones eating habits during the day if they are trying to achieve the weight loss prescribed in the OP .

I gave up on breaky and now take my break at work at 930-10am which is just half a grapefruit and a cuppa tea.
I really dont miss it or get hungry. My lunch is at 1pm and is massive. Somewhat an intermittent fast but it works for me. And I get good energy levels PM where I need it.

Thats pretty close to what I am talking about kaz , a delayed breaky . I only say that for trying to achieve benefits from fasting a little longer .

I couldnt eat that little though , the hunger pains would be kicking in . I love breaky :).

Delayed brekky [emoji106]

With my calorie intake, Id rather 2 big meals than smaller food throughout the day. Otherwise hunger takes over!!

Sorry I dont believe all calories are equal , not by a long shot. A meal high in digestive sugar will become fuel in the body much more quickly than a meal high in fiber with a slower release time , the total calories in a day could be equal but the body wants to store that ready made fuel as fat more quickly , not to mention insulin spikes and the following crash would very much affect someones eating habits during the day if they are trying to achieve the weight loss prescribed in the OP .

No matter what you eat a meal your body is going to store some as fat to use it up later.

Just because some gets stored as fat after a meal doesn't mean it can't be broken down for energy later. In fact storing energy as fat then breaking it down isn't 100% efficient and results in some energy loss.

Insulin spikes. Unless you are do diabetic you won't have a problem with that. Your body regulates blood sugar in a fairly narrow range. If you are getting huge swings in blood sugar causing highs and crashes go see a doctor.

It's ASSUMED breakfast is pretty much after waking up.
ASSUMED OK. By definition it is not necessarily so.

Break (ing) the fast.

i just seems that with most things diet, we throw the baby out with the bath all the time.