• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flexible Dieting

chopsuey

Hi guys and gals,

So I've been hearing lots about flexible dieting and wanted to know your thoughts about it?

- Have you tried it? If so, pros / cons you found? Also, if you have tried (or are doing flexible dieting now) have you also done the 'traditional' nutrition approach (meat + veggies etc) - how do both ways of eating compare (if at all?).

Cheers,

I think alot of the guys on here like "flexible dieting" - I myself do - and have done it ever since I started training - with of course a mix of traditional style bodybuilding diets - "flexible dieting" is simple a fad like anyother form of diet - its simply common sense - which I guess alot of people lack sometimes.

I guess the main things to ask is do you compete? If so I guess flexible dieting would simply be eating lol - its not a diet its as mentioned common sense - get some of your food from "good/healthy/clean" sources and then fit in some foods you really want.

As mentioned above [MENTION=7082]jzpowahz[/MENTION]; is a prime example of "flexible/common sense" dieting working from a non-competitive point of view - all the way to a bodybuilding stage.

I guess when it comes down to the nitting gritty in regards to competition and dieting - yes some people have successfully used "flexible" eating all the way through - some need to cut things out and go a more traditional road of dieting - I think this is purely based on the individual and how you react to different food types.

If it is simply an everyday eating "diet" you want to implement then "flexible dieting" is for you, its for everyone - it is simply using common sense....

flexible dieting or IIFYM isn't a fad, it is just common sense with a little rigour.

I've been doing it for several years now. If I don't count the actual macro tracking, I've been doing it pretty much intuitively all my life.

It's a sensible approach where you aim to meet your Protein, Fat and Carb macros every day to achieve whatever goals you have (gaining, fat loss, or maintenance/body recomp).

I think the main issue with this is that people tend to go full retard on it, eating maccas or a chocolate bar everyday. Just need to make sure the micronutrients are also getting taken care of.

As most have suggested, it is pretty much to add in the occasional "treat" within your macros to reduce cravings

I think the main issue with this is that people tend to go full retard on it, eating maccas or a chocolate bar everyday. Just need to make sure the micronutrients are also getting taken care of.

As most have suggested, it is pretty much to add in the occasional "treat" within your macros to reduce cravings

Those who do it properly eat mostly whole foods and allow themselves something extra to fit. Anyone eating crap all day won't last long on iifym.
As you say, you have to eat a variety of whole foods to get your micros and fibre.

After reading the thread title I was wondering how many posts before someone mentioned jzpowahz. Not even one lol.

The thing is everyone looks at his progress (which is awesome) and is like "I told you so, stop following a traditional diet". But who else here has made it work? Following other peoples' logs, most follow a pretty loose diet, but no one else is even getting close to his results. What most people don't realise or chose to ignore that he's incredibly active and has a lot of muscle mass, which burns up a lot of the calories and generates a fast metabolism. He's far beyond the average gym goer, but many average gym goers want to eat like him.

In my opinion, a traditional diet is more foolproof. Most foods are pretty clean and if you over eat a bit here and there, no damage done. If you don't have your macros dialed in perfectly with IIFYM or overeat the wrong foods, you'll pay for it.

But as others have said, a lot of it is common sense. If you have something classified as a cheat meal, balance it out with a low calorie meal or increase your activity on that day. Personally I try to follow a traditional diet 90% of the time. Then on weekends or the odd occasion of going out, I'll eat whatever. But I'll take note of the macros and deduct them from other similar meals in my plan. The other way to incorporate cheat meals is to have them before or after a big workout session. So either leg day or a big cardio event. After my regular hiking outings, I'll go out to a cafe for brunch and usually order a massive serving of scrambled eggs on toast with salmon. A bit of a refeed for the body after burning 800 or so calories. So far this has worked for me and is something I really look forward to.

I think another angle is how much are you enjoying your food. I know when I was bulking and had a more relaxed diet, I would eat most cheat food regularly and not appreciate it. It was all just food. Where now restricting my diet and not eating certain foods, when I do get them, I enjoy them a hell of a lot more.

Last edited:
YEW! I'm not average. I'm going to tell my Mum. She'll be proud :)

P.S today is
500g chicken, about 750g various veggies, chicken/ham pita, some fruit and some ice cream.

Filling, tasty and hits macros and micros :)

Clean is a meaningless word when it comes to food. There is no one set definition of clean.

If you are overeating on IIFYM your macros aren't right.

Eat a range of foods hit your macro targets and you will be fine. Adjust as needed. Anything else is pretty much a fad.

If you are trying to get into proper BB comp condition don't come here for advise.

Clean is a meaningless word when it comes to food. There is no one set definition of clean.

If you are overeating on IIFYM your macros aren't right.

Eat a range of foods hit your macro targets and you will be fine. Adjust as needed. Anything else is pretty much a fad.

If you are trying to get into proper BB comp condition don't come here for advise.
But what does the BB stand for in AusBB?

I have always mainly watched the very top line (ie calories) then made sure I was getting enough protein.

i would cycle my carbs and fats for variety, and made sure I had a cheat meal once a week.

now I am older and less dedicated to the cause, I will still watch the top line calories, but be a lot more flexible with the rest.

in a perfect world whilst dieting I would operate on very low to trace carbs, as this has always suited me best for fat loss and satiety, but if I do that for more than a day I stop sleeping, so these days I aim for about 2500 calories, 200-300 grams protein give or take, and balance the rest.

YEW! I'm not average. I'm going to tell my Mum. She'll be proud :)

P.S today is
500g chicken, about 750g various veggies, chicken/ham pita, some fruit and some ice cream.

Filling, tasty and hits macros and micros :)

LOL no, you are not average, Chris!

I hit up chicken thigh fillets, tuna mixed veg, salads, oat sourdough, fruit, protein wrap, yoghurt, glazed doughnuts and looking forward to a little gelato tonight

But with such knowledgable members such as yourself and [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; .. how could any of us mortals go wrong? ;)

I IIFYM. Definitely winner.

me too! bit of a setback on goals this year for obvious reasons but it's been the shizz for helping me to prevent lean mass losses and much fat gain.

it's handy also when you just need to hold steady post surgery :)