• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I find this "training the core" quite fascinating when you consider that 2/3 of that is low back strength.

we do all these fancy exercises like bridges, tons of various adaptations of ab work and lunges but nothing to specifically address the low back.

now I cannot identify with one exercise that effectively strengthens the muscles of the low back.

can anyone?

having said all that, I do not believe that ab work contributes to strengthening the core, and in fact can make things worse, I also believe that weak abs, if there is such a thing, is the cause of low back issues.

one thing I've learnt about this industry is:

If everyone heads west, you'd better go east, and pretty quick.

I think that resistance training in general will take care of muscle strength, including the lower back muscles, I don't think that any smart person who has consistenly worked out with weights has a weak lower back
Look after the dollars and the cents will take care of themselves

Agreed Darko.
If you do bent over rows for example, the lower back has no option but to strengthen itself or you wouldn't be able to hold the position.

I also agree with you Goosey, a lot of your core strength is lower back as well as hip muscles and obliques. It's the whole middle region but for some reason the average punter only sees it as being abs.
But a bridge (especially the yoga type bridges rather than a regular plank) will also train your lower back/ESG or you'd just fold in half.

Yeah the ab's take care of themselves by becoming indirectly involved not only in weight lifting but in every physical effort.

And while indirect does not trump direct the core doesn't need to be reminded "to engage" before every rep of an exercise it happen automatically and in fact the constant prompt may become a distraction

the nervous system can only control so many muscles at once.

i think that using a mix of exercises over many years of consistency is key for making sure that the lower back is strong not just in one position but throughout the ROM.

Interestingly a man that has a short torso and long legs although not a good squatter will in fact have a stronger back due to the movement than a man with the opposite proportions.

only specific exercise I do for lower back is hypers. today, 20 reps with 15kg plate behind neck after leg curls and quad training.

Let's look at the objective evaluation of isolating the lower back muscles, their strength is limited by their inability to stabilize the pelvis.

with all exercises the hip is able to rotate, the glutes and hamstrings overshadow the weaker lumbar extensors

I don't know really, I guess short of using the medx low back machine, there isn't really anything else, so to work the low back is like fudgepacker had stated, the best we can do is use a variety of exercises, with the emphasis on strengthening that between 0 and 72 degrees of rotation.
the last 20 years of reading about this sort of stuff I didn't understand it, until only recently.

low back strength is the key, most of us are walking around with degrees of atrophy.

Many bro's with the lack of squatting, deadlifting and correct form rowing would have piss weak lumbers.
I'm quite fond of my pythons.