• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

military press push press shoulder press.

bert.

what ever you call this one. basically I really suck at it and am looking for advice on getting it better. any tips or videos I should watch on it? i'm lucky to be able to get a few reps at half body weight and when doing them I can feel it all threw my back.
are there any assistance exercises that would help my stalling on this lift?
I think I need to work on my core a bit to help it

Your delts are the primary mover here, with triceps second, then support from rotor cuff.

best way to build your lift, is to obviously perform the press, but do variations such as super sets one week, then heavy compound the next. Working your triceps with dips and extensions will help, don't neglect your rotors and back.

i tore the crap out of my shoulders over the years going heavy on military press, beware it is fraught with danger!

You don't need to press huge numbers to have good shoulders!

you can always do isolation work after pressing for each head.

Overhead press is probably the best upperbody exercise you can do in my opinion.

Best way to build the press is press I like both front and BTN presses.

what ever you call this one. basically I really suck at it and am looking for advice on getting it better. any tips or videos I should watch on it? i'm lucky to be able to get a few reps at half body weight and when doing them I can feel it all threw my back.
are there any assistance exercises that would help my stalling on this lift?
I think I need to work on my core a bit to help it

Do one arm dumb-bell presses, good for the shoulder and teaches one to press correctly.

And if you're not sure what I mean...press with one arm while holding onto the squat rack, or alternatively place the hand on the hip.
Pick a weight you can do three sets of ten each side comfortably, and get going...
once progression slows down, reduce the sets to two, then one.

Squeeze your glutes if you're doing them standing. And drive thru the legs rather than just standing there stiff as a board.

If you're getting back pain from it though, perhaps try doing it seated or even some dumbbell work - Arnold presses and the like

Best tip I got was about squeezing the glutes when ever standing as mentioned.
Full strong controlled movements are so important, don't use momentum.
Presses (OHP, Shoulder, Military, Arnold) in my opinion you should extend your arms as far above your head as you can for full range of motion. Especially OHP you should almost flex your tricep. Slow negatives are a killer.

As a few of the other guys said squeezing your glutes definitely makes a difference when doing standing OHP.
Lower back pain after doing this lift generally means your core might need some work.
Either way, this video helped me A LOT ... with technique and understanding the lift more.
OVERHEAD PRESS - YouTube

Hope it helps.

You need to be careful of leaning too far back and to keep the weight in front of your body. If you have a weak core, try a split stance. This will keep you balanced. You can also use a little bit of legs turning it into a push-press. It's a bit of a cheat, but it will still blast your shoulders.

I picked up a couple of handy tips from this video; prior to watching it I was feeling a twinge in my left shoulder that cleared up when I realised my hands were in front of my elbows at one stage during the lift.

I skipped over this video or maybe it was a condensed version, but it enabled me to press pain and tightness free