• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anyone use Glutamine for gut and digestive health?

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
Thoughts?

i believe it helps your digestive system, and it was being pushed as the mother of all recovery/ growth aminos back when I was training seriously. Not sure if this has changed in the eyes of trainers these days?

I started taking it to aid in recovery with all the extra cardio I've been doing over the last few months. Surprisingly it works. Barely ever wake up sore, even after 2+ hour sessions or a complete change in training reps/weights.

I remember it when it was being touted as the 'next big thing' ... probably has its uses, but like all supps will likely oversell and under-deliver unless your realistic about your expectations.

For me personally, it just made my shakes a little more expensive.

Ive been using it for the last couple of months has helped with a few gut issues.. Not sure about the training benefit though.. It's cheap enough from BN

Eat a high protein diet and you getting a heap of glutamine anyway.

Some athletes can have high intakes of L-glutamine because of their high energy and protein intakes and also because they consume protein supplements, protein hydrolysates, and free amino acids. Prolonged exercise and periods of heavy training are associated with a decrease in the plasma glutamine concentration and this has been suggested to be a potential cause of the exercise-induced immune impairment and increased susceptibility to infection in athletes. However, several recent glutamine feeding intervention studies indicate that although the plasma glutamine concentration can be kept constant during and after prolonged strenuous exercise, the glutamine supplementation does not prevent the postexercise changes in several aspects of immune function. Although glutamine is essential for lymphocyte proliferation, the plasma glutamine concentration does not fall sufficiently low after exercise to compromise the rate of proliferation. Acute intakes of glutamine of ∼20–30 g seem to be without ill effect in healthy adult humans and no harm was reported in 1 study in which athletes consumed 28 g glutamine every day for 14 d. Doses of up to 0.65 g/kg body mass of glutamine (in solution or as a suspension) have been reported to be tolerated by patients and did not result in abnormal plasma ammonia levels. However, the suggested reasons for taking glutamine supplements (support for immune system, increased glycogen synthesis, anticatabolic effect) have received little support from well-controlled scientific studies in healthy, well-nourished humans.

I've only ever seen it advertised to aid in recovery. Based on personal experience, it works. Not like a multi-vitamin where you kind of think it's working. Night and day difference. As soon as I started taking it, regular gym soreness disappeared.

Glutamine is also known to have various side effects in reducing healing time after operations. Hospital-stay times after abdominal surgery can be reduced by providing parenteral nutrition regimens containing high amounts of glutamine to patients. Clinical trials have revealed patients on supplementation regimens containing glutamine have improved nitrogen balances, generation of cysteinyl-leukotrienes from polymorphonuclear neutrophil granulocytes, and improved lymphocyte recovery and intestinal permeability (in postoperative patients), in comparison to those that have no glutamine within their dietary regimen, all without any side effects.[SUP][14][/SUP]

Total parenteral nutrition with glutamine dipeptide after major abdominal surgery: a randomized, double-blind, controlled study.

Last edited:
Just some medical evidence that it does aid in recovery.

Yeah and chemotherapy is used on cancer patients so maybe you should be on chemo 24/7 to prevent cancer.

Research on hospital patients doesn't transfer over to healthy people very well at all.

I doesn't always mean it will transfer over, but in this case it does. Are you saying I'm just imagining the muscle soreness disappear.

It's a stupid analogy anyway. The hospital patients weren't in hospital for "glutamine treatment". It aided in recovery from various surgeries. Purely a supplement that wasn't required, but had a benefit.

I doesn't always mean it will transfer over, but in this case it does. Are you saying I'm just imagining the muscle soreness disappear.

It's a stupid analogy anyway. The hospital patients weren't in hospital for "glutamine treatment". It aided in recovery from various surgeries. Purely a supplement that wasn't required, but had a benefit.

That's is no proof it transfers over in fact most research shows it doesn't.

You get plenty of glutamine in your diet anyway.

Research on supplements for sick hospital patients doesn't apply to healthy people.

But the sup industry is lucky there are plenty of suckers out there.

I ate a bowl of ice cream after lifting and didn't get sore so therefore ice cream helps recovery.

No one said anything about sick hospital patients. They were people healing from surgeries.

Were you getting sore from the exact same training without the ice cream?

No one said anything about sick hospital patients. They were people healing from surgeries.

Were you getting sore from the exact same training without the ice cream?

Lol. Are you healing from a surgery.

Yes. Couldn't possibly be a coincidence. Must have been the ice cream.