• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Healthy food star rating system may edge out Heart Foundation’s tick

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
THE Heart Foundation’s trademark health food label is under review 25 years after it was set up.

And its famous tick could eventually get the flick, if the review committee decides that the new health star rating system being rolled out by the Federal Government is sufficient.
It comes after My Kitchen Rules chef Pete Evans criticised the charity for endorsing unhealthy products, urging people to sign a petition against the tick that has more than 30,000 signatures.
The paleo diet advocate has questioned how it could hand out ticks on some products, such as frozen pizzas.
It was also lambasted in 2008 after temporarily giving particular McDonald’s products a tick in its bid to give consumers the healthiest option from the fast food giant’s menu.
But National Heart Foundation CEO Mary Barry said its decision to review the tick program has been underway since mid-year, before the recent commentary began.
Ms Barry said it was prompted by the 25th anniversary of the Tick and introduction of the new food labelling star system.
The foundation had advocated for, helped develop and supported the five-star system, she said.
“Should this system be successful and mandatory ... we could then consider the future of the tick.”
The review will take place over 12 months to see how the stars roll out and if the tick can complement or add value to it.
When asked if the star could replace the tick Ms Barry said it was a possibility.
The program was launched in 1989 on the back of a trend towards processed and packaged foods.
It set nutrition standards across food categories and gave consumers a clear symbol that indicated the healthier choice when compared to other similar foods.
“If you are going to the supermarket and there are half a dozen pasta sauces on the shelf, the one with the tick will have less salt and fat and more vegetables than others,” Ms Barry said.
It also led to companies to make their recipes healthier to gain a tick. Companies pay to be assessed and approved for the symbol.
Ms Barry said it brought in roughly $2.8 million a year and that was reinvested in running the program.

I don't know anyone who takes notice of the "tick". I've seen a preview on the star rating on the TV show The Checkout and it looks way better.

Last edited:
I love how the nutritional panels on products have shrunk to the size of a freckle; soon we'll need to carry electromagnifiers just to be able to read them.

The "tick" is just a purchased marketing gimmick anyway and besides, there's no way I'd follow dumbed-down governmental recommendations on what is healthy and what is not.

I wonder how much some companies pay to get this "tick" haha - of course simply a marketing campaign - just because it has a tick on it does not mean it will suit your needs - they should bring out education programs in school on how to read nutritional labels BUT then people will know what they are really eating - they will know that "ticks" are simply marketing, "Low fat" is simply marketing etc etc - we are a nation with a over laying/thin (no pun) layer of "being healthy" but really the big food companies want us eating as much shit as possible - if not Woolies and Coles would simply be big fruit, veg and meat stores....