• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

More newbie questions from me regarding programs.

Novice gains program?

• Wendler 5/3/1

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Lyle mcdonald Generic Bulking Routine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Layne Norton Power/hypertrophy split

• Texas Method

• Total voters

krayon

Well Im about to start my new program tomorrow was leaning towards the Wendler 5/3/1 either BBB ( big but boring) or BB ( body building template ) but then i realized the progress is alot slower on these programs and are aimed at advance lifters, while I still find myself a novice due to only having 1 year training prior off and on but the last 3 months I've taken seriously and moved up my lifts and put on some size which I was quite happy which was aimed at increasing my 1RM. I eat well and follow my diet strictly and get enough sleep in. I read that for novice it's better to follow a linear progression ( as in add weights each session or week. When I first tried SS it didnt work well I didnt know my lifts so i moved onto RPT and a friend taught me my lifts which I improved on and my form got alot better these pass year, I dont think I could squat 3x a week due to lately this pass 2 weeks I've noticed my left knee aching after going 80% of my maxes on squats. The thing I found hardest was do heavy weight but having poor form but ever since I started the 1RM it's kept in my check and I wasn't too sure how to progress on weight each week or month etc when I stalled on such light weights in the past.

The programs I was looking at were for the goals

Goals : Put on some size currently lean bulking, going get flamed for this reach aesthetics so rough guide would be Jayem Sison

Wendler 5/3/1 ( spoken to Jungman about this program and he makes valid points and very informative and helpful towards the matter)
Lyle mcdonald Generic Bulking Routine
Layne Norton Power/hypertrophy split
Texas Method

Any other suggestions would be helpful

Stats

25 yrs old
172cm
70kg
Body fat = 18.06% Body fat = 12.64kg Lean Body Mass = 57.36kg 19/09/14

1RM
Bench - 85 kg
Squat - 90 kg
Deadlifts - Really not too sure my form usually breaks after 120kg or at 120 so i say 115kg?

Train 4 times a week

The "slow" progression on 5/3/1 is not a real issue, it's a fabricated issue made up by people who can't math. You add weight every single week in 5/3/1, and do all the reps you can at that given weight. If your rep count throughout the cycle is exceedingly better than the general design of the program would have predicted, you just go up by a bigger increment than 2.5kg for upper body/5kg for lower body. Or you stick to the standard weight progression and enjoy having long term gains in strength endurance. I've got plenty of criticism to hurl at 5/3/1, but being too slow for beginners isn't a real issue.

BBB is good for volume on the exercises used, but it does tend to evoke a minimalist approach to exercise selection, which could be problematic for your physique goals. I'm all for keeping things simple, but in light of that, I'm specifically for the philosophy that all things should be made as simple as possible -- and no simpler. Make sure that your exercise selection isn't lacking.

Based on the physique you've cited, you're going to want a significant amount of intense ab work. Whatever program you go with, be sure to ignore anyone who tells you that abs are made in the kitchen or with squats -- if you go that route, you will develop some abdominal musculature inasmuch as is needed for your main lifts, but it probably won't be as significant as your poster boy's abs. Make sure that you're also getting plenty of deep core and lower back work into your program, because a hardcore 6-pack without a strong core or lower back is a great way to mess up your body.

People want to progress too fast too soon and wonder why, at the end of the year, their lifts are the same as 6 months ago because they've stalled over and over. If you start light but have a good work ethic towards following a program, sleeping and eating, there's no way you cannot make progress unless you contract a serious STD.

I am actually doing the 531 BBB right now as a template to develop my athletic strength (using the BBB sets to develop explosive force production, and more so with my selection of assistance exercises) but I have noted that overall strength and size have improved have benefited as well. The increase of intensity has shredded a lot of fat off my body.

Yes 'Core' or 'ab' work is essential and I find that the 5 sets each of hanging leg raises and ab rolls as prescribed in BBB is more than enough to build kick ass girth, provided you do it correctly and don't cheat on form.

So in short - start light, stick with whatever program you choose for at least 3 months to give it time for it to work, focus intensely on improving form in all lifts, eat like a mofo and sleep like a sloth.

^^^
yep, don't drive yourself in circles analysing programs, just get lifting.

I dont see what's wrong with following a program.

You would be well off running a 5x5esque structure on all compounds at least once each a week to build up your numbers.. Do whatever makes you happy and pumped up on the side

Overall its the focus and grind of consistency that will get you places long term, over the thousand tiny details

don't rush into 5/3/1 BBB straight up, start with the beginner version until your numbers are up, or you're going to stall out REALLY fast.

That said, it's what I do, I like the volume more to get my heart rate up than to get 'hyoooge', you can really do any assistance work you like - for example you can do close grip bench, front squats for the volume work etc etc.

I found the hanging leg raises impossible to do at my bodyweight, same with volume chinups, so I've substituted planking and lat pull downs until I can find something better.

blackironbeast.com has a good calculator for 5/3/1 and the various different assistance templates that go with it.

You're 70kg with 90/85/120. With those lifts and your size I don't think you need anything that complicated, certainly not any percentage-based periodisation programme. I choose "none of the above." I suspect your technique on the lifts is less than ideal, get that fixed first up.

Silverback sometimes forgets that not everyone has his years of experience in lifting, so doesn't have the knowledge to do things on their own.

A lot of great lifters over the years cut their teeth on a basic plan of lifting and although they (as in most of these dudes) could of excelled on any template, they paid their dues on hard, hard work, whether it was every day of the week or just twice a week for others, before the internet they just lifted heavy using progression as their measure.

We all got to start somewhere, most young'uns wouldn't know what a balanced training program is unless it's strapped to a barbell and uppercutted into the face during their first military press.

A good program is one that is based on years of experience so why reinvent the wheel.

I remember devising my own program as a newbie and got my ass ripped open here when I dared posted it. Those were good (learning) times. lol.

I see it as why reinvent the wheel (especially for those of us who are beginner or intermediate lifters?).

"Re-invent the wheel", what the fuck does that even mean.

If you want to be as strong as an ox, you will lift and make it progressive and it will take years, you will be using mostly variations of multi joint exercises, some single and maybe one or two isolatory exercises barbells, dumbells and machines, including cables.

If you are not growing, ask yourself these question, in no order;

Am I working hard enough
am i eating enough
Am i getting enough sleep
Am I working out too much
Am I not working out enough
Is my workout too long
Is my workout too short

How much effort you place on a given workout is key.