• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
What an interesting little article this proved to be! In short, athletes who consumed 03.g of plain 'ol Baking Soda per kg of bodyweight an hour before training showed an increase in athletic performance by way of reducing the blood pH levels closer to neutral.
Would this work for weight training as well, particularly for long grueling workouts that we have all grown to love? Discuss.

Supplement Face-Off: Baking Soda Versus Beta-Alanine | Breaking Muscle

""However, a word of caution: supplementing with baking soda is widely reported to cause explosive diarrhea""

could be good on squats day

"I suppose that was a very special sugar pill and pat on the bum."

I'm thinking eccys and arse rape :cool:

0.1 second improvement? is it worth it? Someone give it a punt and report back please :)

What an interesting little article this proved to be! In short, athletes who consumed 03.g of plain 'ol Baking Soda per kg of bodyweight an hour before training showed an increase in athletic performance by way of reducing the blood pH levels closer to neutral.
Would this work for weight training as well, particularly for long grueling workouts that we have all grown to love? Discuss.

Supplement Face-Off: Baking Soda Versus Beta-Alanine | Breaking Muscle

Article says baking soda is alkaline so will increase blood pH to neutral. Quick google shows blood pH is 7.35-7.45 so it would need to be reduced to neutral (7). Also not sure the baking soda will get past the stomach acidity?

Though I read something about citrus lowering acidity so maybe it could work through voodoo?

I'll do a few lines of baking soda when I get home to bypass the stomach and get the full benefit.

Article says baking soda is alkaline so will increase blood pH to neutral. Quick google shows blood pH is 7.35-7.45 so it would need to be reduced to neutral (7). Also not sure the baking soda will get past the stomach acidity?

Though I read something about citrus lowering acidity so maybe it could work through voodoo?

I'll do a few lines of baking soda when I get home to bypass the stomach and get the full benefit.

The article discussed anaerobic exercise inducing lactic acidosis (ie. pH lower than the usual 7.35-7.45), and therefore the bicarbonate was intended to buffer this, or keep pH in the normal range longer - in this context "increase" means a bigger number (ie. from 7.3 back to 7.4).

Interestingly, in chronic kidney disease (where dysfunctional renal handling of bicarbonate, among other substrates, results in a metabolic acidosis) there is also data to suggest oral bicarbonate can increase muscle strength.

Acid + base does not cancel out - their constituent components can still be absorbed by the body beyond their immediate effects in the stomach, where they can go on to further contribute to acid:base balance.

Medical students have been confused by kidney physiology for generations; largely because of how complex and non-intuitive acid:base physiology is.