• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stretching the pecs

kramer1

Ok i get shoulder problem and i have recently worked out its from have tight pecs, i cant bench when i get the shoulder problems as the pain is too much, i wouldnt mind finding out what stretching people do before training

Do more back work.
Likely more an issue of over developing the pecs which will pull the shoulder forward. You need to balance the amount of back work you do to pull them back in to position... You'll also get better posture

1. I normally get a band and do chest and front stretch then follow up with shoulder dislocation with the bands then band pulls infront of me pulling sides.

2. With shoulders I just do arm circles then change the palm forward, back, facing up etc

3. Find a smith machine or bench with a bar on it chest level/ shoulder level and abit lower up to you. then reach back and grab the bar with overhand grip then lean foward until you can feel a stretch.

I used to have really bad shoulder pain so I couldn't even bench a bar so I took time off and learnt how to retract my retract scapula and pushed squeeze my glutes which seem to help, but it hurts too much just take time off and do other exercises you be back at it in no time.

Here are some examples I could find.

1. Dynamic Chest - Bar Stretch - YouTube ( Dynamic chest - bar stretch )

2.Bodybuilding.com Videos - Doggcrapp Shoulder Stretch

[h=1][/h]

I used to have awful problems with the back of my deltoids when benching.
I started training my deltoids specifically. And have since been able to bench with no pain whatsoever.
Strengthening the bad area really helped and I haven't had a problem in nearly 6 months!

I always stick to band dislocations, gentle flyes and door way stretches.
I went through a really bad time with a tight left pec and it actually stopped me benching.
My physio eventually sorted it out but the back also plays a major role in tight pecs.

Have u had it checked out to confirm it is actually tight pecs?
This might not be the only cause of your shoulder pain.

I had shoulder pain but was more of a rotar cuff issue and had to strengthen the surrounding shoulder muscles with ultra light band work. My back muscles had come in to play to much when bench pressing and the surrounding shoulder muscles had slightly deteriorated causing pain thru the shoulder joint.

Yep, shoulder pain is often the result of tight pecs, but that probably is not the only issue.

First off, you gotta suck it up (financially) and get some ART done on your shoulders and pecs. Chances are that your rotator cuffs are beat up which is causing you to use a compromised position when doing overhead work or chest work (or any shoulder work for that matter). Once they are freed up you have a better chance of letting your pecs get back to where they should be.

Stretches: lots of simple stuff. Lie on your back on a flat bench with some light dumbbells (don't be a dumbarase meathead and think that you gotta get all alpha male on dat chit and use max weight, 2-5kg dumbbells are more than enough), extend your arms vertically then slowly let them drop down into an iron cross position. When you feel the stretch in your pecs, have a little fiddle with the dumbbell position, maybe move your hands up a touch and/or rotate the dumbbells slightly, until you feel you are in the best stretched position. Now stay there for a minute. Suck it up.

You can also stand in a power rack, or even a doorway, with your hands out and down around hip height or a bit above that. Take your bodyweight on your wrists by leaning forward, chest up. Hold it for a minute.

Find a hard corner somewhere, like your power rack upright. Lean into it with your arms crossed so the corner is digging into the back of your shoulder. Roll around a bit and find the sore spots in your rotator cuff. Press in and hold.

No, you don't need to stretch before you bench. But you sure as hell need to stretch after you bench.

Yep, shoulder pain is often the result of tight pecs, but that probably is not the only issue.

First off, you gotta suck it up (financially) and get some ART done on your shoulders and pecs. Chances are that your rotator cuffs are beat up which is causing you to use a compromised position when doing overhead work or chest work (or any shoulder work for that matter). Once they are freed up you have a better chance of letting your pecs get back to where they should be.

Stretches: lots of simple stuff. Lie on your back on a flat bench with some light dumbbells (don't be a dumbarase meathead and think that you gotta get all alpha male on dat chit and use max weight, 2-5kg dumbbells are more than enough), extend your arms vertically then slowly let them drop down into an iron cross position. When you feel the stretch in your pecs, have a little fiddle with the dumbbell position, maybe move your hands up a touch and/or rotate the dumbbells slightly, until you feel you are in the best stretched position. Now stay there for a minute. Suck it up.

You can also stand in a power rack, or even a doorway, with your hands out and down around hip height or a bit above that. Take your bodyweight on your wrists by leaning forward, chest up. Hold it for a minute.

Find a hard corner somewhere, like your power rack upright. Lean into it with your arms crossed so the corner is digging into the back of your shoulder. Roll around a bit and find the sore spots in your rotator cuff. Press in and hold.

No, you don't need to stretch before you bench. But you sure as hell need to stretch after you bench.

This!

I love lying down on an incline bench during warm ups arms out and even extend back behind my head, even without weights I can generally stretch and loosen the muscle fibres in my pecs before benching. Just find the tight spots and hold that stretch for a good minute or two until you can feel the change.

You know you're pecs are tight if you rest it on a lacrosse ball and roll it around some. Try not to squeal lol.