• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

kaz

iLift
With some states and businesses working to eliminate the sales of caged eggs over the next few years, are you willing to pay more for FR eggs? Do you have a preference?

I try to buy free range, but it's so hard to know which actually come from free range chickens. "Free range" is also subjective.

I only grab FR eggs as it is... I know theres been debate of late as to 'are they really free-range' , but no way I'd willingly grab the caged variety to save $$.

How would you like it if someone kept you cooped up in a cage and stole your period every day? :p

I buy mine from the lady down the street, it's definitely free range I can see it with my own eyes.

Nothing beats fresh eggs where the runny yolk from eggs benedict looks like 24ct gold and the white holds together in one giant wad when you unload the whole thing into the bowl.

My mrs got free range eggs last time because they were out of caged eggs. Cost around triple the price. I cracked them in a bowl with some caged eggs. You couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Honestly I never really look/it doesn't cross my mate - not sure if that is bad? lol

I think 'Free Range' is sometimes simply used as a marketing poly - what really is free range? What is cruel and what isnt?

Would I pay more? I will buy whatever is cheapest tbh - if that is the cheapest of free range or cheapest overall....

Honestly I never really look/it doesn't cross my mate - not sure if that is bad? lol

I think 'Free Range' is sometimes simply used as a marketing poly - what really is free range? What is cruel and what isnt?

Would I pay more? I will buy whatever is cheapest tbh - if that is the cheapest of free range or cheapest overall....

Exactly. What is cruel. As long as the animals are treated well I have no problem.

People say caging animals is cruel and free range is not.

Well caged animals live indoors in a close to disease free, climate controlled environment with quality feed brought to them right in front of their face. Sounds good to me.

True free range animals live outside in the hot, cold, rain. Have to walk to get their food. Outside with all the potential predictors and disease.

You can make either system sound good or bad.

I only buy free range chicken and eggs and pork normally as well. I definitely do it for ethical reasons but the quality is far superior and worth it.

The way I figure it the closer to what the animal does naturally if let to it's own devices the better. I like my beef grass fed, my chicken and pork free range and generally I prefer to buy from butcher/farmers market over the big supermarkets. I'm happy to pay a premium for quality.

Reactions: kaz
I believe that yes you should not be "cruel" to an animal etc - but I also believe that free range, organic, etc etc - are simply industry's within industry's to make more money - for what you would prob find are the same companies that own "free range" eggs also prob own "caged" eggs - if the chickens are piled ontop of eachother, shitting on eachother, not being feed well etc etc then yes of course this is not good but if the "caged" egg industry isn't like this anymore anyway...

You would also think that free range eggs would be cheaper than caged considering they are simply walking around a area, and just having feed thrown to them - with the caged set up the overheads must be alot higher - and you would think driving the price up for the eggs....

Why are you paying more for free range when the overhead is less for the people producing the product? - You are paying more for free range eggs because it has "Free Range" on the box.

I think the reason why the HomeBrand ones look like shit when you crack them open is because they are really old eggs. Whites that run like water and pale as albino yolks. They could even have been free range eggs but the farmer forgot to check that nook behind the tree for months and now has a treasure cove of old forgotten eggs.

Free range hens are still fed a commercial layer feed just like caged hens. Modern laying hens couldn't live and fend for themselves just living outside finding their feed.

The ethical reasons are just humans putting human emotions on animals. It's just a feel good thing. With no knowledge of animal behavior or needs.

The idea that free range, grass fed is healthier just means the marketing has been successful.

I think the reason why the HomeBrand ones look like shit when you crack them open is because they are really old eggs. Whites that run like water and pale as albino yolks. They could even have been free range eggs but the farmer forgot to check that nook behind the tree for months and now has a treasure cove of old forgotten eggs.

Don't know where you get that from. I have eaten literally thousands of home brand eggs and never found that. And yes I also used to have my own chooks as well.

I don't find the old school caged hens to be living a great life, even the new cage setups aren't terribly amusing but the farms that allow the birds to wander around in the shed then jump in a nesting box to drop an egg aren't that bad. The birds are comfortable, fed and watered on demand and can move around if they want.

In summary, i would pay zero extra for true free range because I don't believe the current method of egg production is cruel enough to warrant fencing off a billionty acres to allow the same quantity of eggs and charging a premium for something of dubious nutritional benefit over current systems.

The workers get treated worse than the damn birds, give them your money instead.

Onslaught has a good point.
Caged eggs are more land efficient and more feed efficient than free range.

So if you are happy to pay more for free range for the feel good factor remember you are being more destructive to the environment.

I barter mine out but often also give away to share the Free Range message. [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; is a customer and hopefully a happy one!!