• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Are they still being kept in a tiny box here these days? Maybe in India or Vietnam or anywhere third world with their backward lifestock practices due to lack of space and/or need for highly intensive farming, but here in Oz I think the term 'Caged' eggs should really be corrected to 'Barn' eggs instead.

From what I understand there are three levels, caged, barn and free range. Pretty sure caged is still the go unless things have changed in a big way recently.

Fuck no...I but the cheapest eggs I can get. My family eats so many eggs, I've bought that many different brands and nobody has known the difference. An egg is a fucking egg! Lol

Based on what?? Do you know anything about me??

So you are suggesting that a chicken forced to live in a tiny cage being fed on one end and having eggs extracted at the other is leading a chickens life, a life chickens have evolved to live, and is better off than a chicken being out in the paddock foraging for food, eating bugs, doing what chickens do because there is less risk that it may get eaten by a fox……FFS, this place hurts my head.

And you are suggesting I am not intelligent because I think an animal living free and living it's intended life is better off than one kept in a tiny box??

If we are going to pontificate, then a bloke forced to live in a box for his life I'd say there is probably good reason and would probably have the brain of a chicken lol, even if he did lay eggs.

Shit, having a pet gold fish is cruel then.

Hurts your head? I can understand that if it's minus a brain.

I have 12 chickens, or eggs are blue tint and textured. So when I go to the store there eggs look so fake..
Also farm eggs don't need to be refrigerated because the company is not washing if the coat that protects the egg from germs..
Make friends with a farmer is the best advice I can give you

If we are going to pontificate, then a bloke forced to live in a box for his life I'd say there is probably good reason and would probably have the brain of a chicken lol, even if he did lay eggs.

Shit, having a pet gold fish is cruel then.

Hurts your head? I can understand that if it's minus a brain.

Depends on how big the tank is, if the tank is big enough for the fish to move around mimicking it's natural environment with some plants and gravel etc probably/possibly not, if it lived in a 3 litre bowl with a plastic plant definitely cruel.

So what good reason is there for the chicken to live in a box it's whole life, and how would you explain that it is better than roaming around in a paddock like chickens were born to do?? (from you post and cheap personal attack on me I am assuming you agree with Bazza, that the chickens in cages are better off then my neighbours free roaming chickens)

So if my brain is missing you must be saving yours for a rainy day, because it definitely has not been used.

May be get it out and explain it to me so that it makes sense….just to recap…you said I have no brain because I believe chickens living a chickens life, foraging/breeding/ roaming a paddock are better off that chickens that live in a cage all it's life and have never had dirt under their claws. Lets see how you can explain that one.

Last edited:
Depends on how big the tank is, if the tank is big enough for the fish to move around mimicking it's natural environment with some plants and gravel etc probably/possibly not, if it lived in a 3 litre bowl with a plastic plant definitely cruel.

So what good reason is there for the chicken to live in a box it's whole life, and how would you explain that it is better than roaming around in a paddock like chickens were born to do?? (from you post and cheap personal attack on me I am assuming you agree with Bazza, that the chickens in cages are better off then my neighbours free roaming chickens)

So if my brain is missing you must be saving yours for a rainy day, because it definitely has not been used.

May be get it out and explain it to me so that it makes sense….just to recap…you said I have no brain because I believe chickens living a chickens life, foraging/breeding/ roaming a paddock are better off that chickens that live in a cage all it's life and have never had dirt under their claws. Lets see how you can explain that one.

You are projecting the life of a fish through a humans perspective.
The same could be said for all animals living in a zoo.
Some animals with certain levels of intelligence could and have become quite stressed due to the confinement, especially the ones that move large distance and like seclusion.

But we are talking about chickens, I don't believe they can distinguish the difference between confinement and open space.

From an environmental POV I believe confining chickens are better.

An egg is an egg, if it looks like an egg, and tastes like an egg, it is an egg.

You are projecting the life of a fish through a humans perspective.
The same could be said for all animals living in a zoo.
Some animals with certain levels of intelligence could and have become quite stressed due to the confinement, especially the ones that move large distance and like seclusion.

But we are talking about chickens, I don't believe they can distinguish the difference between confinement and open space.

From an environmental POV I believe confining chickens are better.

An egg is an egg, if it looks like an egg, and tastes like an egg, it is an egg.

Well you keep expanding the scope, yes I also believe animals kept in Zoos is cruel in some cases, but each case would have to be looked at individually of course, just like the gold fish or any other animal kept in captivity, there are just too may variables and too many animals to have a blanket cover all opinion.

re an egg is an egg, have you ever noticed the difference in texture and colour of the actual egg?? I can guarantee you I can pick one of my neighbours eggs over a caged supermarket egg every time without fail. I am talking about the cooked egg, fried egg or boiled egg etc not just the actual egg still in the shell if you get what I am saying.

The egg white has different texture, the yolk has a much darker richer colour, it's like night and day, so I am not too certain that an egg is an egg.

Mick. You talk so much shit on topics you have zero clue on.

First I didn't say its better to be in a cage. I'm also not saying free range is better they are different. Both are better in some ways and worse in other.

Problem is people with zero clue on farming (Mick) Automatically think free range must be better in every way and bring up bullshit reasons why. They also love to put human emotions on animals. Animals aren't humans. They are buying free range for the wrong reasons.

Not everything is better about free range.

Higher death rates.

More disease

Imperfect diets.

Exposure to the elements.

Exposure to predictors

Less feed efficient

Less land efficient

Worse for the environment.

But you will never hear any of that from people that want to eat free range eggs and have the feel good factor.

Some people need to stick to their area of expertise. Like writing fictional stories.

Well you keep expanding the scope, yes I also believe animals kept in Zoos is cruel in some cases, but each case would have to be looked at individually of course, just like the gold fish or any other animal kept in captivity, there are just too may variables and too many animals to have a blanket cover all opinion.

re an egg is an egg, have you ever noticed the difference in texture and colour of the actual egg?? I can guarantee you I can pick one of my neighbours eggs over a caged supermarket egg every time without fail. I am talking about the cooked egg, fried egg or boiled egg etc not just the actual egg still in the shell if you get what I am saying.

The egg white has different texture, the yolk has a much darker richer colour, it's like night and day, so I am not too certain that an egg is an egg.

Im just not sure where to start with all this.

To begin, there is no such thing as super healthy, just like super sick, you're either healthy or sick.

ill just make these points that I beleive make sense to me...

1. A sick chicken will not produce an egg
2. I don't think chickens have emotions
3. I've tasted all manner of eggs, they are all the same, they will all have basically the same composite of nutrients.
if they didn't, they would not be eggs.

At one point in time I used to like to believe that a FR eggs was better for you.

Is a chicken better off, free range?
i actually don't think it really cares, it just wants to eat, root and look out for the rooster, because the rooster, looks out for predators.

Last edited:

To begin, there is no such thing as super healthy, just like super sick, you're either healthy or sick.

3. I've tasted all manner of eggs, they are all the same, they will all have basically the same composite of nutrients.

At one point in time I used to like to believe that a FR eggs was better for you.

i actually don't think it really cares, it just wants to eat, root and look out for the rooster, because the rooster, looks out for predators.

Spot on.

I don't know where the idea come along that intensive farming is about having sick animals.

Like you said sick, stressed animals are not productive. To be profitable you need healthy animals.

A chicken brought up in a cage doesn't know that there are other chickens outside running around in Micks neighbors yard. They know no different. Like the goldfish. Its fine swimming around its bowl.

Animals want to eat, root and stay alive. Putting human emotions on them is stupid. I've never seen cows want to grow up and be an astronaut or the CEO of a company one day. Food is the main drive, cows will beat the shit out of each other to get to feed. Hens will peck each other to death. They don't give a fuck.

Last edited:
Are they still being kept in a tiny box here these days? Maybe in India or Vietnam or anywhere third world with their backward lifestock practices due to lack of space and/or need for highly intensive farming, but here in Oz I think the term 'Caged' eggs should really be corrected to 'Barn' eggs instead.

some very old farms still do cages but the vast majority of the big players are barns, its not easy to even keep a contract for true caged hens, at least here in victoria and the companies that own the birds generally try to convince the farmer to convert to barn

I could count on one hand the number of farms that ive worked in that are still running cages that produce any sort of decent quantity, barns would number in the 100's.

hell, one complex was producing over a million eggs a week from barns.

That picture in Big Micks posts isnt the worst cage ive seen (there are some shockers around) but the barns (which are the vast majority of production down here) are NOTHING like what the hippie fuckwits would want you to believe.

BTW: Fuck off with your reasoned and level headed query thats also free from personal attacks and half arsed accusations, we don't like your kind 'round 'ere. :D

PETA aren't known for letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

I like the one chicken survive predictor attacks 90% of the time in the wild. Lol. Wouldn't take long until their all dead. That's a much higher death rate than those farmed.

Chickens slurp grass. I've never seen that.

Mick. You talk so much shit on topics you have zero clue on.

First I didn't say its better to be in a cage. I'm also not saying free range is better they are different. Both are better in some ways and worse in other.

Problem is people with zero clue on farming (Mick) Automatically think free range must be better in every way and bring up bullshit reasons why. They also love to put human emotions on animals. Animals aren't humans. They are buying free range for the wrong reasons.

Not everything is better about free range.

Higher death rates.

More disease

Imperfect diets.

Exposure to the elements.

Exposure to predictors

Less feed efficient

Less land efficient

Worse for the environment.

But you will never hear any of that from people that want to eat free range eggs and have the feel good factor.

Some people need to stick to their area of expertise. Like writing fictional stories.

I think you are talking shit, you waffle on about all the stuff above when all I said is "a chicken would have a better life as a free range chicken than locked in a cage", and you come up with all the crap above that has nothing to do with what I said.

I think your problem is you do not actually read and understand what a person is writing, you just make up something that you think they said but never did.

ill just make these points that I beleive make sense to me...

Same as Bazza, a whole heap of writing that has nothing to do what I said. When did I say anything about chickens being sick or unhealthy??

You are just making stuff up that you think someone said, I never suggested that FR eggs are better for you and I never mentioned anything about sick or unhealthy chickens, not really sure what you are talking about here to be honest.

The closest I got is when I said that true FR eggs are definitely different to caged eggs, and that is just a fact that you can check yourself next time you cook eggs, never said one was better than the other.

Last edited: