• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
2 of my chooks cost $7 each. Their chook pen cost $79.
Feed is monthly fee of $17.50 and kitchen scraps plus a few loaves of bread a week.
Scratch free range from dusk till dawn
= 5 eggs per day.

Last edited:
Don't know where you get that from. I have eaten literally thousands of home brand eggs and never found that. And yes I also used to have my own chooks as well.

Your woolies must be better than my one then lol. Always been a hit and miss with their eggs. But that doesn't mean I then paid twice as much for the glossy free range one next to it though. Egg farm FTW! (they also sell them double yoked deformed monster eggs, which I personally love)

For those buying free range due to the feel good factor of happy chickens. Australian figures show that free range laying hens have 3% higher death rate than caged hens. Free range hens are also 10% less feed efficient.

So I suppose free range is better if you like more dead animals. How's that for the warm fuzzy feeling people are after.

Even the best commercial laying hens on premium diets average slightly less than one egg a day.

Which is why I queried it, I figured there were more birds but the post wasn't clear to me.

Spent a few years (maybe 10) building/upgrading and maintaining farms and incubation facilities in a couple of states so a small amount of the actual workings of the industry sank in.

I have 5 in total, I only paid for 2.
A Leghorn, a Barter Brown and 3 Isa Red crosses.

thanks for the clarification :)

Do they still remove one of the claws of caged hens?

They often trim beaks, which no surprise people don't like but it's done to prevent the birds pecking each other to death, which is more common in free range systems over caged.

If we buy eggs from a supermarket we get what ever is cheapest or on special, but most of our eggs either come from the local school farm where the chickens roam around and live free and get fed food scraps from the local pub and shop, or from a neighbour who gives his excess eggs to us for free, I walked past the other day and he handed me about 20 eggs.

I prefer to get the neighbour or school ones as I can see the chickens seem to be living a happy life scratching in the dirt doing what chickens do and doing as they please, buying the school ones also helps raise money for the school which is an additional feel good.

Never noted that the chickens peck each other to death either, they just seem to forage around most of the day.

Just because caged chickens get food supplied and are in a climate controlled environment does not make them happy chickens, it just keeps them alive and makes then efficient egg producing machines, not happy chickens.

That would be like suggesting that a human would be happy to be spending his/her entire life in a room 2 meters by 2 meters with white walls and no windows, provided with three nutritious meals a day (or five if you prefer), living in a climate controlled and disease free environment, never to leave, never to see the sun, never to do what humans do. Of course that human should be happy we can keep him safe and alive in that environment for 90-100 years with almost no risk of death from accidents, disease, mishaps what ever, would be a great life.:p

Seriously the stuff Bazza comes up with blows my mind…..it's just arguing for the sake of arguing no matter how dumb it sounds when you actually think about it.

These chickens seem to be having a great life in their climate controlled disease free environment getting all the food they can eat, lucky buggers:

Feel sorry for these poor buggers exposed to the hot and cold weather, disease, predators, etc, poor things, someone should do something about it:

Have found this myself as well:

Last edited:
Numbers don't lie mick. Higher death rates in free range hens, dead hens must be happier. but make up a bullshit feel good story on something that you know nothing about. And again someone putting human emotions on animals.

Oh and mick I don't come up with this stuff wether I like it or not they are just the facts and figures of something, unlike you, I know a lot about since it's my life.

Last edited:
My last lot of free range birds lived till 12 -16 year range. They stopped laying at about 6 years old but they kept the mice, spiders and cockroaches away so they were still good use.

My 3 Isa Browns have trimmed beaks, I have seen flocks fight and its not pretty.

Free Range birds are open to diseases bought in by wild birds, its how bird flu spreads and why there was a massive cull last year resulting in egg and egg white product shortages before xmas.

I will never buy caged eggs.

I will never buy caged eggs.

I actually don't have a problem with that. I just want to bring some facts to the beliefs that free range is all sunshine and rainbows and caged is all death and disease.

When I was younger I had 50+ chooks at one point. They were happy but the foxes and Hawks liked eating them.

Foxes like mine too :(
Hawks have tried, and we have Wedge Tail Eagles in the area now.
Our neighbours chooks disappear daily, he has a commercial size free range set up.

Numbers don't lie mick. Higher death rates in free range hens, dead hens must be happier. but make up a bullshit feel good story on something that you know nothing about. And again someone putting human emotions on animals.

Oh and mick I don't come up with this stuff wether I like it or not they are just the facts and figures of something, unlike you, I know a lot about since it's my life.

So what if they have a higher mortality rate, it's normal it's life, animals/people die every day doing what they love doing, living and enjoying their lifes. Would you rather die at 70 having lived a full and varied life full of doing what you like doing or at 100 but having lived your entire life in a 2m x 2m box that you never left.

It's not worth living a life that is not worth living. If I knew I was never going to leave my bedroom ever for the rest of my life I would end it right there right now, what would be the point of living??

Seriously you can not be that stupid. Nothing to do with feel good, it is just common sense.

Last edited:
So what if they have a higher mortality rate, it's normal it's life, animals/people die every day doing what they love doing, living and enjoying their lifes. Would you rather die at 70 having lived a full and varied life full of doing what you like doing or at 100 but having lived your entire life in a 2m x 2m box that you never left.

It's not worth living a life that is not worth living. If I knew I was never going to leave my bedroom ever for the rest of my life I would end it right there right now, what would be the point of living??

Seriously you can not be that stupid. Nothing to do with feel good, it is just common sense.

Comparing humans to chickens now lol.

Mick, while we are comparing- you have the intelligence of a bag of hair

Comparing humans to chickens now lol.

Mick, while we are comparing- you have the intelligence of a bag of hair

Based on what?? Do you know anything about me??

So you are suggesting that a chicken forced to live in a tiny cage being fed on one end and having eggs extracted at the other is leading a chickens life, a life chickens have evolved to live, and is better off than a chicken being out in the paddock foraging for food, eating bugs, doing what chickens do because there is less risk that it may get eaten by a fox……FFS, this place hurts my head.

And you are suggesting I am not intelligent because I think an animal living free and living it's intended life is better off than one kept in a tiny box??

Last edited:
Are they still being kept in a tiny box here these days? Maybe in India or Vietnam or anywhere third world with their backward lifestock practices due to lack of space and/or need for highly intensive farming, but here in Oz I think the term 'Caged' eggs should really be corrected to 'Barn' eggs instead.