• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

reasons why people dont compete

gerry.

Banned
please feel free to add reasons why people who obviously are beasts,dont compete.

.1.They are in the witness protection program after discovering secret weaponry at the workplace is being sold to hostile forces.

.2.they are secret agents and no doubt there lifting prowess would blow their cover and pales into insignificance when compared to saving spies and hostages and posting on the internet and so on and so forth.

.3.they are too humble and dont like to show off even though they would decimate these skinny powerlifters that dominate the landscape at most of these events.

.4.they are strong at 1 or 2 lifts but not ready to tackle a 3 lift comp.

.5.they are strong at lifting weights but dont have the competitive fire.

.6.they dont care.

1 and 2 for me. No other reasons than that. Think I may have just blown my load... I mean cover.

now dont get me wrong..im likely to get out benched by randoms at any gym i go to,my bench sucks.i dont see much heavy squatting or deadlifting but i understand these dont have to be a neccessity to get great big legs even though they help a lot..im just curious why theres guys out there who lift pretty good iron who arent interested in going further?are people too busy?is there too much rigmarole in signing up with the relevant PL authorities?

Fear and lack of self confidence.

Fear of what other's might think if you don't win or set a world record, which is stupid cos once you compete you realise that absolutely no one thinks like that. Except maybe those back at the gym who don't compete.

Lifters can get a bit carried away and equate their self worth with their training. A comp threatens that concept, the ego, so some give in to the fear and insecurity and refuse to compete and/or make excuses.

For ferks sake, if you have not stepped on stage or a platform, get yer chit together and sign up. Does wonders for your mental focus to have a comp on the horizon.

its funny i had the notion i was going to squat 220 at my first comp due to how i was performing leading into it.of course i had trained with no camera for months on end and my first squat got red lighted for being shallow.lol.
i never understood the saying "gym lifts dont count" until then.

and i never trained with a proper pause on bench.i was surprised to find out how long you had to hold it before u got the start command and how long a pause in a comp actually is.it feels like a long time even though its probably 1-2 secs.i wont even talk abouts deadlifts.lol.

Honestly though for me - I train because I love training - that is all at the end of the day - strength and size are simply a by-product of training - of course I like being strong, I like being big and I like getting bigger and stronger - but I love training, I love being in the gym, its relaxing, it clears my head - competing has never really interested me - at all - even though of course I have thought about it time to time....

Honestly though for me - I train because I love training - that is all at the end of the day - strength and size are simply a by-product of training - of course I like being strong, I like being big and I like getting bigger and stronger - but I love training, I love being in the gym, its relaxing, it clears my head - competing has never really interested me - at all - even though of course I have thought about it time to time....

its great fun.and u get to meet people who not only are extremely strong but willing to give you their time as well.i never had the confidence to compete when i was in NZ due to what Kelvin alluded to.i never felt good enough.however i realise if i had started earlier my lifting progress would of been far more advanced.