• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

reasons why people dont compete

Generally the "beasts" in your local gym are big fish in a small pond. Competing puts them into the ocean and they may not seem so big anymore.

perhaps.i tend to think that usually its time constraints or training styles. A lot of people simply do not have the time to devote to it.They can build a nice physique and strength level from doing quick paced 30- 40 min workouts where theres minimal or no squatting or deadlifting.You can get big legs from big sets of leg press and/ or leg exts.
Maybe they would be good if they had the time or the inclination.
Im not sure because reality is i look like i have a weak physique even though i compete.A lot of dudes have bigger torsos and bigger legs.im switching the convo even tho i didnt mean to nor do i think im superior even though i compete as i used to train with a guy who bodybuilded to a reasonable level and he would smash me on everything except squatting and deadlifting lol so i dunno.

Last edited:
i think theres an open PA comp which coincides with the Oceanias in Melbs.Im assuming you would be a M1 or above which then opens up the possibility you can qualify further.if its not ur bag,thats ok.Real life gets busy.

hmm another aspect i think is that powerlifting suits the short person more than the tall person.Im wondering whether biomechanics turns the taller lifter away from squatting and therefore competing.ive seen taller lifters who are excellent squatters and benchers,but thats because they are more mentally driven than the average amigo.

Last edited:
hmm another aspect i think is that powerlifting suits the short person more than the tall person.Im wondering whether biomechanics turns the taller lifter away from squatting and therefore competing.ive seen taller lifters who are excellent squatters and benchers,but thats because they are more mentally driven than the average amigo.

I think in many movements the geometry of a lot of shorter people can be advantageous.

are u a good lifter?why do u lift if theres no goal to get to?
Same reason I have sex. I enjoy it. I don't need to have a sex competition to justify having sex lol

I like lifting, I like getting bigger and leaner. But not at the cost of giving up something else I love to do. Eat. Or drink.

didn't see the point in competing unless I was going to be somewhere near competitive in my weight class. I'll probably start soon, mainly to support the local PA club, and to give my beard some legitimacy.

I agree - bench is a totally different ballgame when it has to touch the chest and stop completely.