• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

reasons why people dont compete

ill be down in melbs in december.bring that 50,000.ibis hotel 11th december 2pm..ima try and win an Oceania title and take your money.lol.not srs about the cash..but come say hi anyway champ.

you competing at Swan Hill m8?

lol at vonframe..man u said you were on your way to squatting 220 beltless drug free.Thats pretty high standard stuff right there.Add to the fact you are over 40..i dunno man..im not questioning ur lifts..im questioning why someone would get to such a good standard and not even be bothered.

It's simple - I can't squat 5 plates raw AND do +160kg bench which means struggling to make A grade. It's also been rare for me have enough opportunity to train more than twice per week for most of the last two years. Twice per week training and some banned substances would easily get me to E2 but I'm not into taking that shit for the sake of a plastic trophy.

A bit disillusioned with the whole scene anyway. How would feel to be an E2 ranked PL in Australia, knowing that guys 20kg lighter than you in the Olympic Lifting scene are squatting ATG- several times per week- with the Australian PL squat record?

That's the first time I've come across this perspective towards competing however its totally understandable. For some the camaraderie that comes from a competing environment provides the same sense of satisfaction that others can find within themselves thru overcoming personal obstacles, beating own expectations and just lifting heavy shit. Maybe its the extrovert introvert thing?

For me, I have thought more about competing since my last post in this thread however I still feel that it's not a make or break deal or the means to an end. I'll be training regardless and any external results I get from that is just icing on top of the cake.
I actually straddle the fence between introversion and extraversion (I recently took the Myers Briggs test and got ENFJ, but a 2% difference in results would have been INFJ), so it's probably not that. It probably has more to do with the NF part of the story, or with me dancing around between two of the rarest personality types. I think, from what I've experienced (having competed in 2 comps and been a pure spectator at 1), I got the most satisfaction when I felt involved in the event (which I do as a lifter, not as a spectator) but while cheering on other lifters. My own lifts were the least exciting parts of the days that I competed. NF's, and especially ENFJ's, make good teachers, coaches and counselors, and generally get a lot of satisfaction out of those roles -- shock horror: I work as a PT, am studying to be a teacher, and it was through seeing others who I connected with succeed that I got my kicks on my comp days. Apparently these personality profiles aren't too shabby.

It's simple - I can't squat 5 plates raw AND do +160kg bench which means struggling to make A grade. It's also been rare for me have enough opportunity to train more than twice per week for most of the last two years. Twice per week training and some banned substances would easily get me to E2 but I'm not into taking that shit for the sake of a plastic trophy.

A bit disillusioned with the whole scene anyway. How would feel to be an E2 ranked PL in Australia, knowing that guys 20kg lighter than you in the Olympic Lifting scene are squatting ATG- several times per week- with the Australian PL squat record?

Fair enough sir and im well aware olympic lifters are superb squatters.however im not fussed if they are better squatters than me.i revel in watching better squatters.its not hard to sign up to a pl comp and make it official.

We'll make sure we are all there when you compete next [MENTION=10608]Gerry[/MENTION]; kunce.

We'll make sure we are all there when you compete next @Gerry ; kunce.

We'll see you there Gezza.....remember....

1299.gif

Last edited:
We'll make sure we are all there when you compete next @Gerry ; kunce.

im a little bit freaked out as its my first time on the big stage and i dont really rate myself when i look at the big names that are there but on the other hand,i been picked to win my category and im gonna do my best.ive had to drop weight quite quickly to even get in so not ideal but if i didnt i wouldnt of been picked ...this is a real honor..ill be meeting and seeing some great lifters.keep training hard and you might one day get up here..your lifts are pretty good already.
me??who would of thought?.catch u guys there maybe.over and out.

Last edited:
I am competing in a novice comp at Wodonga on 26 Oct. 2014.

First comp since broken collarbone a year ago, and serious knee stress fracture in 2011, which took two years to recover.

Hoping for 120kg bench and 220kg deadlift (Texas bar).

I would rather to do my lifts in a comp, regardless of whether I am good or not. I love the pressure of having to do it on certain date; no excuses then.