• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
Seen afew people mention this - never really looked into it - what is the idea/benefit behind this?

How do you make it, what else do you put in it??

Pros/Cons?

The idea is it is supposed to give some special benefits. The reality is that's it's just butter in coffee. What do you really think your going to get out of it.

Real Butter is high in nutrients so it's good for you, I've read it's got certain properties that processed milk doesn't have it's a alternative replacement to milk.

it's said it's better for you than milk.

Because of the high fat content and it's nature it tastes like your coffee has actually got milk in it, it's also nice in porridge.

i just like a slab of butter on my cold toast.

IF zealots who don't want to spike their insulin in the mornings think that if you add bulk fats to your morning coffee you can stay full for longer without spiking insulin.

I have actually read people saying "MCT's cannot be stored as fat"

In short, it is pretty dumb IMO. But if it tastes good and fits in the whole diet then go for it I guess.

I tried coconut oil in coffee once and it ruined it for me. I like a good coffee.

Yea I was thinking of replacing my "normal" pre-workout coffee with this - I honestly don't see it doing much instead of maybe giving me some more sustained energy/getting some more fat in for the day.

Might give it a crack this weekend and see how I go....

I have tried it also.

I put in unsalted grass fed butter, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and the coffee all in a blender. I didnt notice any energy changes, but it kept me full/not hungry for about 3 hours! Thats not exactly what I wanted, but I just wanted to try it for myself so I could make an educated decision on it, rather than making one on heresay and what Ive read on the net!

Will give it a crack with MCT Oil - not sure if I could have it with coconut oil...

Carb back loading has you using coconut oil in coffee. But not the retarded 2 tablespoons. Just put in one teaspoon. Its enough and will not over power the coffee.

Bodybuilders: Give the nail a gentle tap to start it off? Ferkno. Hit datfukka with a sledgehammer. 3g of creatine is all you need? Ferkno. Lets take 40g. Then post on the forum what to do for PTC.

I like a good coffee too much to attempt it with butter or coconut oil... I will save my butter for when I cook my eggs for breaky :)

I was intrigued a few years back when Dave Asprey's bulletproof coffee blew up over the internet. What he was saying did make sense. However his brand of "bulletproof" coffee has been debunked.

His claim to fame was that all regular coffee beans contain micro-toxins, and that his coffee was purified and toxin free. If you ask any doctor, they will tell you there's no such thing as a "toxin". It's simply a vague term used by unqualified people who don't know the exact compound/chemical they're trying to describe.

Anyway, the coffee industry didn't take kindly to Asprey claiming that all regular coffee was toxic. So they ran tests on many makes and brands, no "toxins". They then ran tests on bulletproof coffee and it DID contain toxins.

I have tried it also.

I put in unsalted grass fed butter, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and the coffee all in a blender. I didnt notice any energy changes, but it kept me full/not hungry for about 3 hours! Thats not exactly what I wanted, but I just wanted to try it for myself so I could make an educated decision on it, rather than making one on heresay and what Ive read on the net!

that is exactly the target audience, not everyone is fit, most are overweight and struggle to go 3hrs without *shitty* food

I remember starting a thread about it a while ago and it was debunked by nutritionally trained experts and geniuses who know everything about anything even with their heads firmly wedged into the sand (plenty of these experts on this forum). If I recall correctly Bazza screamed the loudest, without even having looked into it, or understanding the science behind it.

I remember researching it extensively over several weeks, listening/reading all the pro's and con's I could find and then proceeded to give it a run myself for a while, so I could make an EDUCATED decision about it, rather than the scared child like process where I close my eyes, block my ears and scream 'no no it's not real, no no it's not real, no no it's not real' over and over whilst rocking back and fourth hiding in the closet hoping for it to go away approach many here employ to nutritional advances/discoveries/theories etc and then proclaim to know everything without ever having spend a single minute educating them selves.

Anyway it depends how you use it, this style coffee concoction is not magic as you probably already know, and it works best with an intermitted fasting style eating approach, I think it's benefits would be somewhat lost with a bro style eat six meals a day approach, as the coffee concoction is supposed to replace a meal, fill you up/make you feel not hungry, while providing the body with enough energy to carry on it's daily activities without eating any food for as long as possible. It is not to give you some sort of magical energy boost, but just provide energy without spiking insulin levels sky high and upsetting the fat loss properties of intermitted fasting.

So the idea is get up in the morning, then stall eating for as long as reasonable (we don't want hunger pains), when you get hungry have your concoction, it will provide energy(butter/MCT Oil) with a caffeine boost (same as a normal coffee), some people suggest adding a small amount of WPI/WPC, may be 5 grams or so from memory.

I would not buy into the carp about using/buying coffee beans 'mouth picked by amazon virgins on a full moon', I think just normal instant coffee or plunger brewed coffee will do the job just fine. I used the Nescafe Green Coffee instant powder, and I tried coconut oil as suggested by some but hated the taste. So I just used Natural unsalted butter and MCT Oil bought from BN. Used to make up a batch and drink it in my thermo cup on the way to work, never felt hungry till about lunch time or later, if I had a second mug around 11am it would take me through till dinner easy enough without feeling overly hungry.

MY PERSONAL CONCLUSION:

I did not mind the taste of it with MCT oil rather than coconut oil (MCT has no taste as such especially in coffee), and was quite looking forward to my daily concoction, it easily reduced my daily food intake without losing energy or feeling lethargic during the day, which I find happens to me when I reduce food intake too much, it also greatly reduced cravings to snack during the day.

Personally I would not bother with it unless you are following an intermitted fasting style diet and looking to lose some body fat. As a training energy booster it has about the same effect as a cup of coffee (as that is what essentially it is). The MCT/Butter effect only come into play if you are fasting.

Last edited:
What would you call something that's toxic if the word toxin isn't allowed? 'omg, my wheatgrass shot totally tastes loike its fully dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, brah!'

I remember starting a thread about it a while ago and it was debunked by nutritionally trained experts and geniuses who know everything about anything even with their heads firmly wedged into the sand (plenty of these experts on this forum). If I recall correctly Bazza screamed the loudest, without even having looked into it, or understanding the science behind it.

I remember researching it extensively over several weeks, listening/reading all the pro's and con's I could find and then proceeded to give it a run myself for a while, so I could make an EDUCATED decision about it, rather than the scared child like process where I close my eyes, block my ears and scream 'no no it's not real, no no it's not real, no no it's not real' over and over whilst rocking back and fourth hiding in the closet hoping for it to go away approach many here employ to nutritional advances/discoveries/theories etc and then proclaim to know everything without ever having spend a single minute educating them selves.

Anyway it depends how you use it, this style coffee concoction is not magic as you probably already know, and it works best with an intermitted fasting style eating approach, I think it's benefits would be somewhat lost with a bro style eat six meals a day approach, as the coffee concoction is supposed to replace a meal, fill you up/make you feel not hungry, while providing the body with enough energy to carry on it's daily activities without eating any food for as long as possible. It is not to give you some sort of magical energy boost, but just provide energy without spiking insulin levels sky high and upsetting the fat loss properties of intermitted fasting.

So the idea is get up stall eating, when you get hungry have your concoction, it will provide energy(butter/MCT Oil) with a caffeine boost (same as a normal coffee), some people suggest adding a small amount of WPI/WPC, may be 5 grams or so from memory.

I would not buy into the carp about using/buying coffee beans 'mouth picked by amazon virgins on a full moon', I think just normal instant coffee or plunger brewed coffee will do the job just fine. I used the Nescafe Green Coffee instant powder, and I tried coconut oil as suggested by some but hated the taste. So I just used Natural unsalted butter and MCT Oil bought from BN. Used to make up a batch and drink it in my thermo cup on the way to work, never felt hungry till about lunch time or later, if I had a second mug around 11am it would take me through till dinner easy enough without feeling hungry.

MY PERSONAL CONCLUSION:

I did not mind the taste of it with MCT oil rather than coconut oil, and was quite looking forward to my daily concoction, it easily reduced my daily food intake without losing energy or feeling lethargic during the day, which I find happens to me when I reduce food intake too much, it also greatly reduced cravings to snack during the day.

Personally I would not bother with it unless you are following an intermitted fasting style diet and looking to lose some body fat. As a training energy booster it has about the same effect as a cup of coffee (as that is what essentially it is). The MCT/Butter effect only come into play if you are fasting.

If we want to see who is talking crap. Mick please quote my posts which were incorrect then. Thanks.

Found my original thread, there might be some stuff of interest in there for reader and the OP of this thread:

Bullet Proof Coffee

To my surprise Bazza is not in this one screaming his nutritional wisdom (he must have been off sick that week), must have been one of the other threads I was thinking of.

Found my original thread, there might be some stuff of interest in there for reader and the OP of this thread:

Bullet Proof Coffee

To my surprise Bazza is not in this one screaming his nutritional wisdom (he must have been off sick that week), must have been one of the other threads I was thinking of.

So we get to see who is full of shit.

I accept your apology.