• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When you fail a rep: do you rest for a few minutes and try again?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
When you fail a rep: do you rest for a few minutes and try again? Or, stop for the day?

Depends on what kind of training I'm doing. Sometimes if i fail I will try again in a few mins, but sometimes i just take off some weight and rep out.

I will take a small break and complete the reps I missed plus one extra. Hopefully with the extra rep, it will provide progression so the following week I won't fail. Seems to be working.

If by fail you mean breakdown in form and not the totally dump the bar and do the roll of shame kind of shizz, then usually yes, just wait 20 seconds and complete that missed rep (at least), more if possible.

Not sure I completely understand the question but, if you mean for example, I'm aiming for 8 curls but shit the bed 1/2 way through the 7th then no, I'll hang the bar up, call it a shit day/set, rest 30 seconds longer than normal (bout 90 rather than 60 sec) and start the next set, if I don't get the number of reps I aimed for in that set either, I'll focus on that body part / exercise as a priority next time it's due, normally 4 days.

Do you mean fail a rep or fail a set?

In regards to a set - have a rough idea of what reps you will be doing i.e 4-6 and 95% of the time you will fall within the rep range - I honestly don't know how people can fail a set as such - but if your rep range is spot on 10 for example and you get 7 then yea I guess you could drop the weight/wait acouple of mins and try and get to 10.

If by 1rm - then it totally depends on training your doing on the day - if its 1rm testing I would do something like so -

1 x 8-10
1 x 6
1 x 4
1 x 2
1 x 1 - 1RM

If I failed this - then I would prob drop the weight - wait around 5 mins and then try and complete a new 1RM.

Its all totally depended on the training on the day though.

definetly on compound movements, due to being so fatigued i think form slips alot therefore risking injury, in regard to isolation yes, less risk, more reward (pump)

Sometimes, depending on the training as well.
With weights, if i miss the last rep on a heavy set, i might try pick that rep up in the next set if I remember.
If during a x-training session & I miss a muscle up or rope chin, I just roll with it and make sure I get it right next time around..

This isn't a failed rep but what happens when you do a rep, like deadlift for instance, this morning, I did a rep and then for about 5 seconds I had white dots in my vision which would come and go followed by a slight headache? Is it because I didn't breathe or something else?

I normally just give it one more try after 5 - 10 mins rest. If i dont get it then Ill reattempt at a later date.