• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Multi Purpose Cross Training Rack/Half Rack

D

dkal-el

Hi all.

I am building a home gym and am currently looking at power/squat rack options. I came across the IronEdge Assault Rack and it looks great and would love to support by the sounds of it a quality Australian product however is a little out of price range. The half rack vs full rack is a good option for me because i don't have a lot of area space so will give me more room to perform exercises. I just recently noticed GymDirect has Multi Purpose Cross Training Rack that looks almost identical to the Assault Rack and comes in more than half the price. Also GymAndFitness has a Force USA Cross Training Half Rack

Does anyone have any of these or experience with it them can comment, is it a suitable alternative? Or can suggest a better option ideally under $1000.

Any advice would be appreciated. Purpose of rack would be to perform squats, weightlifting exercises, dips, chinups, excercises in conjunction with resistance cables.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How much are you going to load up on it? Generally speaking, the foot print of a full rack doesn't differ much from a half rack. You can still deadlift and row etc inside a full rack. Something like the MMPR may be better value for money?

Thanks for your reply. I am not going to be loading up anything crazy, the tested ratings are well greater than I would ever get near. Just want the safety to allow me to push to my limit and perform some additional exercises like pull ups etc. I am thinking about the MMPR also it does look good value for money and appears highly recommended on here, however just feel that taking off the arms for the half rack just gives that little more room for performing other exercises where the rack is not required.

IMO a rack like this would be a better half-rack
legend-3138-squat-rack.jpg

Would be very stable

IMO a rack like this would be a better half-rack
legend-3138-squat-rack.jpg

Would be very stable

Problem I see with these type of racks is you cant adjust the height of the safety bars, meaning it usually good for squats but not so much if wanting to use for bench as well

Thanks for the suggestion. The issue with that again is the air space, the safety arms cannot be adjusted or removed and does not look as flexible for other things I would like to use it for, so I would be more inclined to go with a full cage which would have more features such as multigrip chinup bar and designated pegs for resistance cables etc.

Essentially I don't have a big area of room so I have to maximise the space available as much as I can which is why I am leaning towards the half rack. I don't believe I will have an issue with stability or sturdiness with the half rack option. I guess I am looking for the best option (something that is built well and sturdy to last, that isn't going to look like it is going to collapse when doing pull ups, dips or dumping the weight on safety arms) that is within budget. I really like the simplicity and flexibility of something like the Assault Rack and watching the videos it looks well capable of handling anything i can dish out to it. I just don't have $1700 > to spend on it so was looking for an affordable alternative.

I have the rogue S2 half rack/squat rack; and previously I have owned the powertec power rack.

The S2 feels more stable and better for chins/pull ups than the powertec or non-commercial MMPR (note I do have the base storage arms with 4 x 25kg bumpers stabilising the rack).

The Powertec or MMPR only felt stable to me with the added lat option.

The S2 spotter arms are great for bench press safety.

For failing on squats, points would go with a full rack but the stands are safe. The size of the rack you are looking at is the same as the iron edge one so their tests on dumping the bar and applying heavy weight to the spotter arms still apply.

I have checked out the gymdirect cross training rack, it's very solidly built and it is actually bigger than my Rogue S2. The foot print is larger than the powertec or MMPR power racks but does leave room for deadlifts and OH presses inside that foot print.