• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

A glimpse into my weightlifting training of 2009 at the age of 44 at Olympic park here in Sydney.

This was about the 1st month of training, after a 25 year layoff from weightlifting.

Ok, here’s a small segment of what I did on Monday the 30[SUP]th[/SUP]of November at 5:30 am.

Power clean x2
Front squat x2
Jerk x1
All the above x3
That was your 1st set of your 1st exercise.

So the above was 1 set of 15 reps in total. You perform 5 sets of this combination for a total of 75 reps. That was the wake up movement with more exercises which followed after it.

Just to clarify: I did 2 power cleans, then upon completion of the second one, I went straight into 2 front squats, and upon the completion of these, I stood straight, and jerked the weight once overhead. Now that was multiplied by 3 and was considered to be 1(one) set. I did 5 of these one setters for a total of 75 reps. I thought about trainees who want to lose fat and maintain their muscles after doing such an invigorating set of movements!

I suggest you start with a weight that stands at 50% of your 1RM back squat, and either increase or decrease by 5% depending on how easy or hard you find the set to be. Rest time between each set should start at 90 seconds an again, either decrease or increase by 30 seconds depending on whether you're able to complete the set or not. Please keep in mind that this is not HIIT, a circuit, or some barbell complexes with light weights and high reps. This here demands that you maintain proper technique under pressure, with a weight that is taxing enough to make all of you work. So start light/ish and increase, rather than starting heavy and decrease. So if your 1RM back squat is say, 140kg, pick up 70kg and have a go. This will test more than just your strength under pressure, or your fitness under load. All the best.

Give it a go and tell me what you think.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Thanks Caino and Andy for your comments. This is more than simply a barbell complex. And yes Andy, metabolic conditioning par excellence here.

Barbell complexes are usually performed with lighter weights and for more repetitions. A barbell complex would be much closer to an Olympic weightlifting circuit (minus the variety in overall exercises of course). This method of training is usually done in a beginning of a competition cycle rather than mid way or later on as the comp date approaches, where a weightlifter would stick to mainly low reps or 2s and a maximum of 3s.

Fadi.

This is really a nice piece of information. I think this workout will surely help me to reduce my fat. Thanks for the valuable post. :)

I have read this thread with interest and worked out my %'s. It sounds really awesome but I just can't figure how I can add this on top of 5/3/1 that I am following right now. During a deload week perhaps?

Hi Fadi.

Revisiting this once again. I attempted this at the start of the year but my shoulder was stuffed.
What are the exercises you did after you completed 5 sets of the above?

Cheers

So finally at a stage of giving this a crack. Final question for those experienced in this stuff. Would this program be best as an addition to a regular weights program or this would be used solely as the weights program?

Hope I'm making sense. Apologies.