• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Deadlift is not a Pull with Richard The Ant Hawthorne

He's great.

He's saying;

That the spine is not doing the mechanical work in most exercises in whatever exercise you do, you maintain the spines natural curvature throughout the movement.

The natural curvature is from the top of the hip all the way up to the base of the skull.

There are only two exercises that I know of that are specifically designed to work the spine mechanically, they are;
side-bends and the specific medx lumbar machine.

So all these wannabe powerlifter's who yell "Pull" at PL meets ae doing it wrong. they should be yelling "Push". LOL.

He is very good and makes plenty of good points.

However when he's competing he's definitely using the back, I guess because of the extreme heavy weight s used it's very difficult to maintain the form he demonstrates.

However when he's competing he's definitely using the back, I guess because of the extreme heavy weight s used it's very difficult to maintain the form he demonstrates.

yeah, edzachery, good catch [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION];
If the spine bends, it (the erectors and friends) better be strong

It's not really true though, it's just the style that he deadlifts with that has you pushing through the floor.
If you look at Andy Bolton or Jeff Lewis deadlifting, the mechanics are more like a kettlebell swing, they are not pushing through the floor at all and it really is a pull or a hip hinge

The push through the floor never worked for me. My deadlift would get all fucked up and I would end up crouching down and trying to squat it up and really fuck up the movement.

I try and leaver it up is the best way I can explain it but I'm not a very good deadlifter so take that for what it is.

9/10 it's not even the hips that need to get moving.

I'm constantly amused by everyone that calls "hips, hips, hips" at a meet.

The push through the floor never worked for me. My deadlift would get all fucked up and I would end up crouching down and trying to squat it up and really fuck up the movement.

I try and leaver it up is the best way I can explain it but I'm not a very good deadlifter so take that for what it is.

Chest up and push through correct?

For me it was always locking the knees out that is the major issue when I deadlift.

Max pull:

You can see as soon as the knees are locked the hips magically lock as well. And nobody is screaming "hips" lol

As with most multi joint exercises the body works as one.

pushing the floor away with your feet is but just one queue.

Some smart arse will say there is no such thing as a pulling exercise, the hands always behind the bar "pushing" the weight.