• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
They feel like they are tearing your hammies to shreds, then they are sore for days.

These are not intended to be a hip-hinge type exercise, I was once like you, felt it in the ham’s, but now with some adjustments it all low back baby

Nah, that’s just my neutral spine position, I’m trying to get extension/flexion I’m the lumbar region.

this is traditionally what the exercise is meant to do.
Yes the lumber, but the hammies stretch is unavoidable and quite frankly it sux.

I like the hammy work they give, i just am sus on my lower back.

I would have thought the hammy stretch is a benefit as it lengthens out the hammies? That what i have been told.

I would have thought the hammy stretch is a benefit as it lengthens out the hammies? That what i have been told.
Are they working the hammies or just stretching them.
The lumber and erectors are doing the work when going up.

There is no doubt about the stretch but, (for me) that’s about it.
When I was doing years ago I was bending at the hip, ham’s are working but it’s the arse that’s doing the mechanical work.

in fact- “mechanical work” is a key term

Are they working the hammies or just stretching them.
The lumber and erectors are doing the work when going up.

Both, i'd say the negative is stretching more and the positive is working more. Depends on the individual to though, how good are they at isolating their hammies during stiffys because i think you really need to have that mind muscle connection in order to hit the hammies properly with SLDL.

of course, both.

hammies take eccentric burden. it is like certain muscles working when walking down stairs rather than up.

So, straight off the SLD’s to my pullover to MMF then to the most difficult and intense pull down ever designed you pull from the front and down towards the back as opposed to straight down like regular types of pulldowns, add the aggressive cam and it makes it brutally hard.

id just replaced this with Rows for a change so I’m “running in” so to speak.

Both, i'd say the negative is stretching more and the positive is working more. Depends on the individual to though, how good are they at isolating their hammies during stiffys because i think you really need to have that mind muscle connection in order to hit the hammies properly with SLDL.

this is one exercise where I really need to focus, relax the back at all and you’re toast.

There is no doubt about the stretch but, (for me) that’s about it.
When I was doing years ago I was bending at the hip, ham’s are working but it’s the arse that’s doing the mechanical work.

in fact- “mechanical work” is a key term

Interesting you said that. I just tried some SLDLs now using no weight, and when i go real slow i feel more of a burn in the hammies and when i go fast the glutes get more of a burn. Maybe its just me, but speed may also play a role in terms of what muscles get activated more than others.

many factors will play a role in felling muscle.

but from a bb point of view, it is a skill to be able to focus on the muscle being targeted.

many factors will play a role in felling muscle.

but from a bb point of view, it is a skill to be able to focus on the muscle being targeted.

To a degree but I feel that if one has a decent idea of anatomy then it helps.
in terms the SDL it’s tricky, the more the hip rotates the more involved the glutes and ham’s become.

the SDL will never be an exercise that isolates the low back because the hip has a degree of movement ( rotation) ham’s and glutes get involved.

that is what I mean by hip hinge, hip hinge is squats, dead’s, lunges, hell! any movement.

yes, I am sure that is true.

in all of the years I did sdls, I only ever got sore hammies.

the way you are doing it sounds good for lower back.

I alos like weighted hypers for lower back.

however, given I virtually have lost my lower back thickness, I would say that cleans will help me get it back. will be interesting.

So, straight off the SLD’s to my pullover to MMF then to the most difficult and intense pull down ever designed you pull from the front and down towards the back as opposed to straight down like regular types of pulldowns, add the aggressive cam and it makes it brutally hard.

id just replaced this with Rows for a change so I’m “running in” so to speak.

Did I just hear and see you spit after the pullovers you filthy bastard