• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long did it take you to get to 1.5xBW squat and 2xBW deadlift?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
how long did it take to reach these milestones?
Provide info on your lifting/sports background, diet and other important factors

About 18 months for both.
No training at all previously.
At the time I weighed 90kg. 140 squat was hit for a double in about march last year. 200 deadlift was hit I think in the february before it. For a double.
For the first 3 or so months I just stuffed around at home and at a jetts gym with no clue. Then joined unsw gym, still with no clue but starting to find good info etc. Was doing mostly 5x5 on squat. 3x8 on bench and pulling whatever felt good on deadlifts haha. 12 months of unsw gym and decided I wanted to learn and get better/stronger properly. Joined ptc sydney. Was there for 18 or so until end of last year. Huge run of annoying progress sapping injuries. Lol. Now squatting near double bodyweight beltless, and deadlifting 2.5bw also beltless.

How long did it take you to get to 1.5xBW squat and 2xBW deadlift?
how long did it take to reach these milestones?
Provide info on your lifting/sports background, diet and other important factors

I have to go back 33 years now to March 1981, 3 months after I began Olympic weightlifting at the age of 15 weighing 60kg. Within 3 months of training (3x/week), I managed over double BW back squat and 4kg short of double BW C&J (weighing 62kg for my first comp), breaking all Australian schoolboys and youth records at the time. Deadlift was never done, not then not ever.

Fadi.

I hit 1.5 BW squat after two years of proper training (following the SS program and then 531). The 2 x BW Deadlift still eludes me by about 10 kg. I will get there though, I just got to be patient and consistent. I never believed deadlifting was possible after an epic back injury a couple of years ago so I count my blessings every time I pick something up painfree.

About 9 months of proper training for squat and spot on 12 months for the deadlift.
Started on stronglifts 5x5 and then PTC Beginners program.

Before that was a runner and did no strength training and then spent about 6-9months I believe on random BW exercises. High reps, low weight stuff. I think this definitely helped to increase my work capacity for when I started proper strength training though.

I was 75kg at the time. (started at 70kg. Was 95kg fatty before that.)

I can't answer that very clearly or easily.

At the time that I first squatted 1.5 and deadlifted 2x bodyweight, I had been training for 12weeks. Before that, I had been out of the gym for 3 months. Before that, I had done my first bout of Starting Strength, which had gotten me close to that level, but not all the way there, and not with an actual 1RM test at the end (the 3 months off was due to injury, so obviously I wasn't going to say "Hey, I'm seriously hurt, I should do some 1RM's now").

Before that, I had trained for about 4 years, but not powerlifting training or even barbell-specific training. Most of my lower body strength was from leg presses, half squats and what I would now identify as poorly executed RDLs.

I'm now approaching 2.5 and 3x bodyweight squat and deadlift, at the same weight I was at when I first did 1.5 and 2x bodyweight, although it's going to take longer to get there than 3 months (probably).

Ages... About 10 months doing 5x5 for deads, 14+ for squat
And had been doing random bb stuff for a year beforehand :(

a 2x body weight deadlift is rarely impressive, I don't care how much you weigh or how long you've been training

The 1.5x bodyweight squat was probably in the first few months, 2x deadlift was a bit longer though due to injury, prob 2 years...2x bw bench, 3 years ;).

Hadn't really done any type of training since I was about 21. Although I've always worked very manual handling intensive jobs.

1.5bw squat - within 6 months of picking up a barbell for the first time (can't remember when exactly)

Still not up to 2xbw deadlift sadly (240kg).

Haven't tested true 1RM in quite some time, will probably do so if/when I compete.

Hoping to hit both these marks by year’s end. That will be around 12 months from when I started barbell training. Need 8kgs on the squat and 13kgs on the deadlift.

1.5x BW Squat, and 2x BW Deadlifts?

Honestly, probably took me only 3-4 months. I started gym weighing 66kg and I was squatting 120kg and deadlifting in 140kg pretty soon after starting and gaining weight.

Current stats now mate?

Last year before I herniated my back my best was 81kg, 135kg bench, 210kg squat, 225kg dead.

Currently 89kg, 150kg bench, ???Squat, ???Dead. Slowly building up the squats and deadlifts, haven't tried any maxes yet, just doing shit like 5 sets of 140kg deadlifts.