• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why is everyone trying to squat so much?

^^^ This, and your feet are fixed on the floor (they don't move during the squat) and the weight does not stay centred over your centre of gravity and your feet during the squat, loading you muscles and joints up at un natural angels. With a bar bell the weight stays centred over your feet and centre of gravity.

Easy to test, squat in a smith machine and you will instantly see what I am talking about, even just using the bar with no weights on it. You will end up hanging onto the bar to stop yourself falling over and the weight will not be over your natural centre of gravity causing un natural movement. I would hate to try and squat 140kg in a smith machine.

You've got to stand well forward and pretty much lean back in to the machine. Doesn't feel natural at all.
I see heaps of kunce squatting on the smith. It's like they're scared of barbells or something?

Probably get told its safer by whoever signed them up to the gym.

Or they don't realise the bar has to stay over your center of gravity which isn't a stationary point above your feet but moves as you stick your arse out to sit down.

I guess it can't really be any worse than a hack squat machine? Likely targets slightly different muscles compared to the bar path of a bb squat but at the same time could put excessive pressure on the joints as well. I don't know, I'm no doctor...

I don't see it as that big an issue.

Same.

It is, if we continue to compare the two (bb squat versus smith).

its got nothing to do with; "the centre of your gravity", it's about the the path of the bar and your leverages, which means most will need to stand (feet positioned) forward of the bar, which inturn places an emphasis on the quads and hip, which ain't a bad thing, until you get to heavy weight (which is what's needed) then you better be careful as if or when you fail the bar will fold you in half.

A much safer and productive option for the lower body is a trap-bar or leg-press

its typical that we still discuss the same shit over and over

Until new excercises are invented we have to discuss same shit. Bodybuilding/lifting is not a neverending continuum.

Its interesting what parts of what I wrote you decided to comment on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to get a trap bar sometime and use it from a bent knees position, instead of squats. Looks like a good exercise

I'd like to get a trap bar sometime and use it from a bent knees position, instead of squats. Looks like a good exercise

I've wanted a trap bar since forever but it was never a priority. I like mixing up my main lifts now I'm boy specifically training for PL. Plus Conjugate method opened my eyes a lot to engaging other lifts in programming.

It's a great exercise.
it falls into an exercise within its own right.

just a great way to strengthen the muscles of the thigh and hip and work the grip really well also.

similar to the dead lift except minimal load on the back because of where your hands are, with the dead you can really lock the back in as the load is slightly in front of the torso, you can't do this with the trap bar, but you can really get a good workout on the legs and shoulder.

good video,I like the fact he's standing on plates and using the lower (traditional) height handle position, you see most use the higher setting, a lot of the copy trap bars now have the two heights, which I don't like.

It's a great exercise.
it falls into an exercise within its own right.

just a great way to strengthen the muscles of the thigh and hip and work the grip really well also.

similar to the dead lift except minimal load on the back because of where your hands are, with the dead you can really lock the back in as the load is slightly in front of the torso, you can't do this with the trap bar, but you can really get a good workout on the legs and shoulder.
My concern is I would be holding the bar quite wide but the uprightness of the movement will assist in my good morning like squat.

They are at an angle Ryan, they don't go down like gravity does
Are you saying that gravity does not apply when objects are forced to move on a 5 degree (approx) deviation?
^^^ This, and your feet are fixed on the floor (they don't move during the squat) and the weight does not stay centred over your centre of gravity and your feet during the squat, loading you muscles and joints up at un natural angels. With a bar bell the weight stays centred over your feet and centre of gravity.

Easy to test, squat in a smith machine and you will instantly see what I am talking about, even just using the bar with no weights on it. You will end up hanging onto the bar to stop yourself falling over and the weight will not be over your natural centre of gravity causing un natural movement. I would hate to try and squat 140kg in a smith machine.
Again, you haven't explained how any of this is unnatural. The only thing that could possibly be an argument here is that torque changes things...but that doesn't make things unnatural, it just makes them less convenient. For training purposes, that's neither good nor bad in and of itself. Some exercises have this factor as a part of their design, such as lateral raises (inb4 "but the smith machine's a MACHINE; they're freeweights" -- that's a separate issue altogether).

Sounds like you're not proficient in using the smith machine. I'm not either, so I'd hate to use one for anything other than calf raises, but the fact that using different equipment requires different skill does not make it worse or better, it just makes it different.

Are you saying that gravity does not apply when objects are forced to move on a 5 degree (approx) deviation?

Again, you haven't explained how any of this is unnatural. The only thing that could possibly be an argument here is that torque changes things...but that doesn't make things unnatural, it just makes them less convenient. For training purposes, that's neither good nor bad in and of itself. Some exercises have this factor as a part of their design, such as lateral raises (inb4 "but the smith machine's a MACHINE; they're freeweights" -- that's a separate issue altogether).

Sounds like you're not proficient in using the smith machine. I'm not either, so I'd hate to use one for anything other than calf raises, but the fact that using different equipment requires different skill does not make it worse or better, it just makes it different.

My guess is your not understanding what I am saying. Yes it is unnatural movement, because your feet are fixed and so is the bar path, so your body is sort of wedged between the floor and the bar, and has to confirm to what it does rather than the bar conform to what your body wants to do. Nothing to do with different skills. I have my own smith machine, and I do use it, and it does have its uses, squatting is definitely not one of those uses.

At the end of the day I don't care if peope squat in the smith machine or curl in the squat rack or super set pink foam dumbbell curls as I have my own gym and use it as I want to use it. If you or the OP are happy to squat 80k in a smith machine and after ten years of training he squats less than my missus does and probbaly has less muscle, he can feel free to waste his time in the gym. It is his life and I could not give a toss. Some people are happy to take constructive advise on training others think they know better, but I wonder who knows more about training?? A bloke who after ten years struggles to squat 80kg in a smith machine in the prime his life or a bloke who at nearly 50 squats 170kg with a barbell on his back??

Last edited: