• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calf Training

Mine have been sore everyday from hitting them a different way each day. Growth = nil so far but time will tell

I just don't understand how you can train a muscle and it just not grow, it goes against the fundamentals of training. I understand genetics can play a part, but i have not had growth on them. Even if I was not training properly you can do that with other body parts and they will grow over time. Im talking like 4 years they haven't grown.

I just don't understand how you can train a muscle and it just not grow, it goes against the fundamentals of training. I understand genetics can play a part, but i have not had growth on them. Even if I was not training properly you can do that with other body parts and they will grow over time. Im talking like 4 years they haven't grown.

How much are you putting on them?
Like Arnold once said, every step you take, that calf is lifting the best part of your body weight. You need to really load them up, your mind is weaker than your calves!

If you're training calves and they aren't growing, then you arent training them hard enough. I used to think I trained calves and couldn't get them to grow untill the last 6 or so months. I got vibram shoes, and now I really train them!
Warm up = 10mins walking on an incline, ankles rolls, walking up stairs with dumbells.
Weights = Seated calve raises (6+ sets of 12-15 reps)
Smith machine standing calve press (6+ sets for 12-15 reps)
Seated calves presses (run the rack, 12 reps on each plate from 15kgs to 95 kgs) then 10 sets of 10 reps with single leg calve presses one each foot, left, right, left etc...)
Then I do single standing calve raises with a dumble in one hand and I focus of stretching and putting all the weight on my big toe.
Then I do foam rolling on my calves for 10 mins.
If you can walk properly then you aint training calves properly.

Ps. After every set on almost everything I do, I stretch them on something for about 15 seconds each foot. And I also hit them every 3-4 Days, every second calve sesh I hit them with lower weight for higher reps usually just with the leg presses.

All very valid points, I will have to up the intensity of my workouts. I do feel the pain the next day and during my workout. But I do train them first on Tuesday and Thursday so I have the most energy to really smash them.

Because your body adapts to the load you put on it. Calves get worked just by walking around carrying your body weight. So unless they are regularly being overloaded, there's no reason for your body to increase the muscle mass.

Ever notice how all fat dudes have massive calves? Just get fat and shred the fat once they've grown lol.

DOMS is a result of severe muscle breakdown. Exactly what you want before resting and feeding the body to recover and grow.

You get doms from doing exercises you are not conditioned two. It has no bearing on muscle growth.

You could be squatting 200kg for reps 3 times a week and not get doms. Then go do some light leg extensions for the first time in years and get doms. What's giving you more growth?

Chasing doms is a waste of time.

[quote name="steveP" post=592100]DOMS is a result of severe muscle breakdown. Exactly what you want before resting and feeding the body to recover and grow.[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
You get doms from doing exercises you are not conditioned two. It has no bearing on muscle growth.<br />
<br />
You could be squatting 200kg for reps 3 times a week and not get doms. Then go do some light leg extensions for the first time in years and get doms. What's giving you more growth?<br />
<br />
Chasing doms is a waste of time.<br/>

This. But I think doms can be a general indicator that you are training hard. But by no means a definite indicator for muscle growth.

If you're squatting 200kgs, light leg extensions isn't going to be a problem.

You can do exercises you're not conditioned to such as running, rowing, jump squats, whatever, but you're not going to get DOMS unless you're overloading the muscle. Most times when doing a new exercise you're using muscle fibers you're not used to using if your training is very one dimensional. This doesn't guarantee DOMS, and neither does is rules it out. It depends on the individual's level of fitness/muscle development. Whatever training you're doing, if you get DOMS, you've pushed your muscles past their previous limits and it's a good opportunity to capitalise on muscle growth through nutrition and rest.

Last edited:
If you're squatting 200kgs, light leg extensions isn't going to be a problem.

You can do exercises you're not conditioned to such as running, rowing, jump squats, whatever, but you're not going to get DOMS unless you're overloading the muscle. Most times when doing a new exercise you're using muscle fibers you're not used to using if your training is very one dimensional. This doesn't guarantee DOMS, and neither does is rules it out. It depends on the individual's level of fitness/muscle development. Whatever training you're doing, if you get DOMS, you've pushed your muscles past their previous limits and it's a good opportunity to capitalise on muscle growth through nutrition and rest.

Sorry not true. Doms doesn't mean muscle growth. You do not want to be chasing doms for muscle growth. On exercises you do frequently you can lift more than you have ever done and not get doms.

Chasing doms can even slow your progress because you are too sore to work out again soon. The guys chasing doms usually train like someone with OCD and are the smallest guys in the gym. Getting doms regularly means your training is likely shit because you are not sticking to one exercise long enough to get results from it.

I said it's a good indicator you're pushing your muscles to grow. If you want to be technical, nothing you do in the gym makes your muscles grow, it purely breaks down muscle tissue. Nutrition and rest will make muscles grow.

Neither did I say you need to be chasing DOMS. However if you do experience DOMS, you've obviously done something new/different/worked harder to achieve extra muscle breakdown. Which is exactly what you want to overload muscles and force your body to grow.

You spend all your time nit picking phrases or expressions on here, but I never see you taking the initiative to actually give proper advice of your own.

DOMS is a result of severe muscle breakdown. Exactly what you want before resting and feeding the body to recover and grow.

No one is quite sure what causes DOMS or where the pain originates, the theory is not "muscle breakdown" or micro tears as the muscle belly itself does not have pain receptors, but at the ends where the muscle connects the limbs and the muscle bursar ( the lining outside the muscle).

Last edited:
You get doms from doing exercises you are not conditioned two. It has no bearing on muscle growth.

You could be squatting 200kg for reps 3 times a week and not get doms. Then go do some light leg extensions for the first time in years and get doms. What's giving you more growth?

Chasing doms is a waste of time.

Yep.
Yep.
yep.
Through self evident truth this is clear.

When I squatted for the first time I remembered DOMS in the quads, lower back and groin.

when I first jumped on the ISO lateral leg press I felt DOMS in the glutes for the first time, this was good enough evidence to continue using this machine.

Another truth, using SLDL's for the first time 48 hours after gradually I felt it in my hamstrings very badly, almost crippling.

interestingly, using the leg extension now and again I feel no DOMS but at times cannot stand up directly after a very hard yakka set.

i think DOMS is an extremely effective method of evaluating an exercises purpose.

Last edited:
I said it's a good indicator you're pushing your muscles to grow. If you want to be technical, nothing you do in the gym makes your muscles grow, it purely breaks down muscle tissue. Nutrition and rest will make muscles grow.

Neither did I say you need to be chasing DOMS. However if you do experience DOMS, you've obviously done something new/different/worked harder to achieve extra muscle breakdown. Which is exactly what you want to overload muscles and force your body to grow.

You spend all your time nit picking phrases or expressions on here, but I never see you taking the initiative to actually give proper advice of your own.

You are talking through your arse.
nothing personal.