• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
L

liftinisfun

Hi

I'm looking to get myself a power rack, bench (Ironmaster Superbench with crunch attachment for decline bench press), Olympic bar (maybe the Iron Edge $339 20kg hardened chrome one) and rubber plates (maybe Iron Edge Olympic coloured ones). I'm also considering some Iron Master adjustable dumbbells a little while down the track as much of my routine incorporates dumbbells.

Have been lifting for a few years and thus far only done free weights on my cheap home bench however I'm considering getting a rack with a high/low pulley to be able to mix up my routines a little more (but still mostly focused on free weight compound movements).

Rack wise, I was originally looking at the Powertec with lat attachment. However, I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on the Barbarian Line commercial power rack from Sam's Fitness. It's $1,390, weighs 140kg, has a neat stand on the front for changing plates for deadlifts (and maybe to deadlift from, I'm guessing) and can be fitted with a high/low pulley with either a 125kg stack or plate holders.

The only reviews I can find for this are in German so can anyone please help out. There are some old US reviews for an old Barbarian Line rack that seem irrelevant to this model.

Other racks I'm considering are the Muscle Motion commercial - I like the plate holders. No lat option for this, I guess but it is not necessarily a deal breaker.

As I'm 6'3" I'm assuming I won't be able to shoulder press inside any rack, but that's ok.

Advice appreciated folks.

I've broken up the info in bold - Power rack / Barbell and weights / Dumbbells

Power Rack / Bench / Barbell and Weights

From what I've read, it seems to be slightly better made than the Muscle motion products, reports of more welding and less bolts - Barbarian seems to test their racks more vigorously (10,000 drop cycles for each load rating specified as opposed to the usual static load value), they are also more conservative about their rating numbers as a result of this which is a good sign in my books

Main differences with the with the Barbarian and Muscle motion commercial racks are
;

- Barbarian's rack uses 3mm steel, the $1,250 Muscle Motion racks use 3mm, while their sub $1,000 racks use 2mm

- Barbarian has slide-in spotter arms, MM has the twist lock arms (like the j-hooks)

- Barbarian's plate loaded late option MIGHT have 30mm pegs instead of the olympic sized 50mm pegs -make sure u check

- Barbarian's spacing between holes is 50mm, MM is 35mm so more adjustibility

- Barbarian's J-hooks seem to have a flat bottom where the barbell lies, the MM J-hooks have curved bottms which can be an issue for bench un-racking

Some discussion about the rack and the lat-machine system - Some not so good feedback about the lat system
Barbarian -Line rack - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Aussie discussion about Powertech, Muscle Motion and Barbarian - Alot of good feedback for the Barbarian Bench

Powertec or Muscle Motion Power Rack? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Muscle Motion has recently done some pretty intense drop testing on their racks, they seem pretty legit, especially if you're using the safeties at the correct height

[video]http://instagram.com/p/rWlFEyj8Q7/?modal=true[/video]

using this rack - http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/st.../power-racks-and-cages/commercial-power-rack/

Also read an AusBB review on the Powertec rack package which is also from Sam's Fitness - Review: Sam's Fitness Powertec Power Rack Package

Alternatives

Another good option would be the Body Solid Open Rack (11guage steel) - which allows for overhead pressing with the safeties of a Traditional Rack - $1,400
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/st...es/body-solid-pro-club-line-multi-squat-rack/

LmmQmbZ.jpg

Muscle motion Open Rack (thicker 7guage steel 250kgs! similar lock system to the Hammer Strength units) - $1700
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/st...mmercial-olympic-heavy-duty-multi-power-rack/

Also has a nice step platform for your spotter and higher front posts so you can do push presses - dropping the bar on the spotter arms instead of re-racking on a j-hook

YdErvrj.jpg

WILDCARD - Hammer strength Open rack / Bench / Weights 2nd hand on gumtree (the bees knees) - $3,000 neg.
Gym Equipment in GREAT CONDITION - Squat Rack + Cable System | Gym Fitness | Gumtree Australia Eastern Suburbs - Bondi Beach | 1054234078

8x1DX9J.jpg

Barbell and weights

While iron edge is nice, i wouldn't bother paying the extra for shipping if you're not from VIC, Sam's has some decent packages if you haven't sussed them out already

Powertec rack / Powertec/Ironmaster Bench / 20 kg olympic Barbell / 150kg olympic bumpers (no lat pull down or dumbbells) - $1900
Power Rack Bumper Package

I would pick up another pair of 25s so you can put together a total of 210kg before you run out of barbell space (if this is close to your limit, choose the normal weight plates instead of bumpers so you you have space to move)

Powertec rack / Powertec/Ironmaster Bench / 20 kg olympic Barbell / 115kg olympic plates / lat pulldown system / Ironmaster dumbell set
Bodybuilding Free Weight Gym

Gym Direct also has good Old school olympic plates for $3/kilo or a 250kg set for $650 (configure yourself)

WQrDaOR.jpg

Barbell

Good discussion on barbells here - Buying a quality barbell

You can get a ABC barbell for just a touch more than the Economy Iron edge bar and the quality will be superior

Dumbbells

I would save my money on the Ironmaster dumbbells - primarily because the effort needed to change the plates would discourage warm up sets - i would instead;

- keep an eye out for a fixed dumbell set - between $4-800 for a 5-40/50kg set - a few on ebay now;

NSW
Dumbbell SET 330kg OF Weight Plus A Weider Rack in Greenacre, NSW | eBay
QLD
HEX Dumbell Weight SET 10kg 40kg in Bundamba, QLD | eBay
Dumbbells | eBay

- or your best options would be either a Cyberfit or Gym Direct dumbell kit

10-40kg in 5kg increments w/ rack - $1150
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/we...-dumbbell-set-with-3-tier-rack-package-price/

LtD33fT.jpg

Cyberfit 5-35kg in 5kg increment NO rack - $980

8RF9HDW.jpg

Hopefully this lays out all your options a bit better, allowing you to make adjustments for what your want out of your set up now

Last edited:
squareznboxez - thanks very much for such a detailed and informative reply. I really appreciate it.

I'd never really considered the open rack options like those you suggested. These have got me thinking now as a potential option.

In regards to the ABC barbell being a better choice than the Iron Edge chrome bar (their cheaper one) the cheapest ABC bar is nearly double the price of the cheapest 20kg Iron Edge bar. It does look pretty in black though! Not sure I'll be able to justify the cost when I can't see myself getting close to 200kg for any single lift anytime soon. Can anyone comment on the knurling of the Iron Edge compared to the ABC knurling (supposedly the bee's knees)?

I like those old school Muscle Motion weight plates - they are so cheap as well. Currently I'm used to cast iron standard plates on my setup so are rubber coated plates that much of a worthwhile "luxury"? Are the advantages of rubber-coated plates just the feel of the plates or is it more for if you drop the plates - which I won't intend on doing having a power rack - except for deadlifts where I gently plant the weight down anyway.

I'll have to measure up space for a full dumbbell rack which I'm guessing is going to result in me needing to stick to an "adjustable" setup like the Iron Masters - which I'm happy with most of the feedback for. On the point of time required to change the weights, I'm used to that with my standard spindle-lock dumbbells and I don't currently use any dumbbells for warm up sets as I always start with compound movements for which I do light compound warmups and then just proceed with later exercises at full weight generally as I'm already warmed up by the time I get to them.

After doing some further research, I've seen people comment that for use in a power rack a "cheap" bar is better, as it's going to get thrashed anyway.

Would this "thrashing" be prevented if I was to put rubber or something soft inside the j-hooks whilst racking the bar and more importantly if I refrain from "dropping" the bar onto the safeties - I can't see a problem with gently lowering the bar on them.

Once again could anyone comment on the $339 Hardened Chrome 20kg bar from Iron Edge compared to $563.73 Black Nitride Olympic bar 7ft 20kg from ABC (their cheapest full size bar)?

When I read about the whole "thrashing" the bar. I take it as some arsehole who doesn't give a shit about the bar. If the gym pretty much only has you using it, you know the bar will be looked after because you forked out the cash. In saying that. I also have chucked on some pool noodle stuff on my spotter bars and the j-hooks. Doesn't hurt to add that extra bit of protection

Barbell wise, the entry level Ironedge option is just too pricy for $300+ Muscle motion have a decent needle bearing bar for $200 as well as a super basic bushing version for $120 - I'd either go one of the Muscle Motion options or stretch it to the ABC for a touch over $400 depending on your budget and preference

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/weights-bars-dumbbells/bars/olympic-size/

In regards to the weight plates, the rubber-coated won't offer any protection to the floor, as it is only for the touch and feel, that said MM also have rubber-coated plates for the same price - i would be getting some 15mm thick rubber mats to cover your work out area so the choice of plate will simply be down to preference

Dumbell
wise, i'd just had to see anyone spend over $600 on an adjustable set when they are still no easier to switch between weights and can't be dropped - my take on the adjustable side would be either;

Generic dial-lock dumbells 5-40kg ~$150 or new for $270

I have a set of these, bought 2nd hand for $100, they work fine, they require a bit of care when selecting between weights, and they can't be thrown around but they have been great to me so far

YmYDvnPl.jpg

Hurk Dumbbell SET 2X40KG Stand Amazing Condition in Vaucluse, NSW | eBay

or New here - NEW 80kg Adjustable Dumbbell SET GYM Fitness Exercise Weights | eBay

Powerblocks $400-500

The reputable name in adjustable dumbbells, easier to adjust than the iron masters, but hard to find sets that have the extended weight configurtions (stock sets only go to 23kgs)

Dumbbells Adjustable Compact With Stand Powerblocks in Chester Hill, NSW | eBay
1N9tBDcl.jpg

squareznboxez - thanks very much for such a detailed and informative reply. I really appreciate it.

I'd never really considered the open rack options like those you suggested. These have got me thinking now as a potential option.

In regards to the ABC barbell being a better choice than the Iron Edge chrome bar (their cheaper one) the cheapest ABC bar is nearly double the price of the cheapest 20kg Iron Edge bar. It does look pretty in black though! Not sure I'll be able to justify the cost when I can't see myself getting close to 200kg for any single lift anytime soon. Can anyone comment on the knurling of the Iron Edge compared to the ABC knurling (supposedly the bee's knees)?

I like those old school Muscle Motion weight plates - they are so cheap as well. Currently I'm used to cast iron standard plates on my setup so are rubber coated plates that much of a worthwhile "luxury"? Are the advantages of rubber-coated plates just the feel of the plates or is it more for if you drop the plates - which I won't intend on doing having a power rack - except for deadlifts where I gently plant the weight down anyway.

I'll have to measure up space for a full dumbbell rack which I'm guessing is going to result in me needing to stick to an "adjustable" setup like the Iron Masters - which I'm happy with most of the feedback for. On the point of time required to change the weights, I'm used to that with my standard spindle-lock dumbbells and I don't currently use any dumbbells for warm up sets as I always start with compound movements for which I do light compound warmups and then just proceed with later exercises at full weight generally as I'm already warmed up by the time I get to them.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the useful discussion on the gear! I ended up getting the Barbarian Commercial Power Cage delivered from Sam's Fitness and just assembled it today - seems GREAT!
Smallish footprint and bloody solid! Chin-ups and dips inside the cage doesn't rock it around one bit. Will give it a good-hard go in the morning.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info.

Hi Owen

I am almost sold on the Barbarian Commercial Power Cage too. As you've probably noticed, there's still bugger all reviews/threads about the Barbarian gear so this thread has been very helpful!

Just wondering how you've found it so far? Have you had a chance to put it through its paces yet?

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:
Hey guys,

First post on here but looking to upgrade my rack to the barbarian commercial rack. Did anyone end up giving one a good workout and can post some feedback?

Cheers

So if anyone is following this I am ordering the barbarian functional pro rack. I'll post a review when I've put it through its paces

So if anyone is following this I am ordering the barbarian functional pro rack. I'll post a review when I've put it through its paces

Cool. Maybe give it it's own thread so future punters in the same boat can find it easily.

Ordered the pro rack with a warrior bench. Delivery set for 4 Jan. Look forward to building this beast and giving it a run!