• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Blood pressure and working out and health

My family has history with high blood pressure.

so I bought a monitor, for myself at a visit with my GP, I've noted my BP ever so slowly over the last 10years, I'm now 53.

My BP got to 153/107 recently, I'm pretty lean, but I decided to also drop some muscle tissue and change jobs
my BP is now hovering around 129/84.

Ive noted my BP every day twice, once AM and PM, what is really interesting for me is how my BP drops after a workout with weights, down to 116/80 for two days, my pulse is 67.

My workouts usually make me feel my eyes are on sticks, and heart is bursting out of my chest, but i do feel lifting is the fountain of youth.

and you got to workout hard.

i know most here are just young punks, but has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

I'll have a gander later, but for myself, I notice a change in BP only after weights and nothing else (cardio, hard labour, choke the chicken and so-on).

Hmm. Do not have a bp monitor but have toyed with the idea of getting one.

I make a point of getting the doc to do a quick test whenever im in there and it seems to be ok all the time.

What was it that caused your bp to become elevated in the first place do you think?

Wouldn't have thought age alone would be cause for it? stress at work, home?

Very interesting Silvercrack
Last time I had my BP checked when I was 52 last year.

as an aside, I think I've choked more chickens this past year than I have in the previous 20 years.

114/77 this morning half hour after a workout of dead's, pulls and pushes and farmer's and lying on the floor for some time.

HR 81.

Mine is high, mainly due to my choice of activities during weekends and the fact that I'm almost 30kg heavier than nature intended me to be. Gotta supply blood to more vessels now, so have to crank the pressure up a notch, it's like a sprinkler system.

Nothing wrong with those numbers. But this is comparatively low for you?

120\80 is text book reading, anywhere near on and below is good, my observation about BP lowering below normal or average reading via weight lifting activity is pretty damn good, and another good reason to keep doing it, as i've stated previously; workout like your life depends on it, because it does.

As an adjunct, going to state, following the celeb's (movies, bodybiulders and powerlifters) is the wrong way to go.

120\80 is text book reading, anywhere near on and below is good, my observation about BP lowering below normal or average reading via weight lifting activity is pretty damn good, and another good reason to keep doing it, as i've stated previously; workout like your life depends on it, because it does.

As an adjunct, going to state, following the celeb's (movies, bodybiulders and powerlifters) is the wrong way to go.

Incidentally Kunce!!

Congrats on the clean bill of health....

From my basic knowledge, well blood vessels tend to dilate once you on stress for example your are lifting. As these vessels dilate, systemic vascular resistance decreases so as the decrease in blood pressure. This will be coupled by an increase in heart rate to compensate with the decrease in systemic vascular resistance so as to catch up and eventually normalize the blood pressure. So basically lower BP after or during a workout is just normal.