• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Paracetamol won’t reduce lower back pain or speed recovery times says new study

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
PARACETAMOL is the pill universally recommended worldwide to treat back pain but it doesn’t speed recovery or reduce the pain a startling new study has found.

The first ever placebo controlled study of the drug’s use in lower back pain conducted by Australian researchers is likely to prompt the rewriting of official medical guidelines.
Every year around 70 per cent of the population will suffer from lower back pain which is one of the biggest disease burdens in the world.
Associate Professor Christine Lin of the George Institute and Sydney University tested more than 1,600 patients and found the median recovery time from lower back pain was 16-17 days whether patients used paracetamol or not.
In her study published in The Lancet medical journal today some patients in the trial were given regular paracetamol; some were given the drug as required while others were given a placebo.
“We have demonstrated that taking paracetamol does not speed recovery or reduce pain compared to placebo,” she said.
Professor Lin she was “very surprised” by the results especially as the medicine was universally recommended.
“Every set of guidelines in the world recommend you commence paracetamol as the first line of treatment,” she said.
While there is evidence paracetamol reduces fever and relieves pain caused by headaches, some musculoskeletal conditions, toothache and pain after surgery, the mechanisms of back pain must be different, she said.
“We need to understand more about the mechanisms of back pain and why this simple medicine does not work for back pain,” she said.
Professor Lin says the most important option for treating back pain was to remain as active as possible and avoid bed rest.
“Most back pain is not harmful, she says.
Patients could try heat packs to relieve discomfort.
“If that simple approach does not help you can talk to your pharmacists or doctor about other pain medicines, but you do need to carefully follow their advice as these medicines can have serious side effects,” she said.
There was some evidence that a short course of spinal manipulation can help control pain.
If there was no improvement in the back pain after one or two weeks patients should consult their doctor, she said.
Professor Lin said there should be a rethink of official guidelines on treating back pain in the light of her study’s results.
These guidelines all recommend the use of paracetamol despite the fact no previous studies have provided convincing evidence it effective in low back pain.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/paracetamol-wont-reduce-lower-back-pain-or-speed-recovery-times-says-new-study/story-fneuz9ev-1226999186409

I think that more often than not low back pain is a result of muscle weakness the result is inflexibility in that area.

I knew it... that's why whenever I'm hungover / sore / whatever and someone says 'have a panadol' I just roll my eyes.

I knew it... that's why whenever I'm hungover / sore / whatever and someone says 'have a panadol' I just roll my eyes.

They didn't say it doesn't work for all pain. Just this study indicates it didn't work for back pain. Different pain killers can work better for different types of pain.

And if the answer is "what do I want/need that for?" Jobs on.....

Saying that...

Here is a spreadsheet of answers to the daily question by a guy 'do you want to have sex tonight?'

rs_560x415-140722062256-560.Sex-Spreadsheet-JR-72214.jpg

They didn't say it doesn't work for all pain. Just this study indicates it didn't work for back pain. Different pain killers can work better for different types of pain.
my dad's panadeine forte is good for everything , oh yeah the power of codeine

I just like asking the missus "if she wants to play the rape game?"

When she answers "Nooooo"

It's my queue for "that's the spirit!!!!!!!!"

Diclofenac is where it's at for general feelings of shitness associated with training.

I've found it pretty shit.

I've got boxes of the prescription strength ones and don't use it. Had to go back to the doc and get him to write me out another prescription.

I think that more often than not low back pain is a result of muscle weakness the result is inflexibility in that area.

Yes true and many people simply don't use their backs enough, thus resulting in a sore back. If they got off their lazy asses and did some exercise then this would help. Also resting due to lower back pain is not good, you need to keep moving around in order to keep blood flowing to the area.

Deadlifts are great for improving back strength and flexibility and they also protect the body against injuries by strengthening up the entire core, this includes all the spinal muscles from the hip to the neck.