• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

anyone do any scaffolding work?

a scaffolder with experience that knows his shit can easily make between $80-140K a year, depending on how hard you go and how lucky you get.

i can already get that doing what im doing now (not 140k but over 100k if i work hard) so to make a career change i'd need to see big $$$ pretty quickly or be making the change for my lifestyle which scaffolding would not, compared to floor sanding.

Jealousy is a curse, enjoy your debt and wasting your $$ on making the banks rich.

Just joshing around Mick, lighten up
Oh and my house is paid for, it's something that you too can look forward to one day.
But do you reckon I make a mistake Mick? 'cause I had a mortgage and now I own the bloody thing :D

Last edited:
What people don't realise is there is a massive difference in pay between a Scaff monkey who spends all day lumping gear and the leading hand who comes to site reads the drawings then sets up the base-out, puts together the order list, works out where he needs what lifted to then makes the whole thing go up so quick he doesn't hold any trades up.

its like anything you don't just say I'm a scaffy give me the big dollars now, you gotta know your shit to make big bucks, or just work mega hours.

Agree brick. You need to know what you are doing. We just gave one scaff company here the ass because they got to Comfy and thought they had their foot in the door. They started sending out guys who had little experience and it shows. Scaffolds where getting built with no scaff tags, boards weren't fixed down, ladders tied with rope...no thanks!

i can already get that doing what im doing now (not 140k but over 100k if i work hard) so to make a career change i'd need to see big $$$ pretty quickly or be making the change for my lifestyle which scaffolding would not, compared to floor sanding.

Well depends on what job you want to do, there are plenty of jobs where you can get that sort of money, I was more referring to your mates complaining about not landing the 300K job, but they are only learning, no one walks into a new job and picks up huge $$ with no experience.

Just joshing around Mick, lighten up
Oh and my house is paid for, it's something that you too can look forward to one day.
But do you reckon I make a mistake Mick? 'cause I had a mortgage and now I own the bloody thing :D

Had my first house payed for by the time I was 30, have owned and sold three houses since, would not call it a mistake, but moved on as they were in Sydney with a back yard the size of my current back veranda, and I will never live in suburbia or on a block smaller than a few acres or a polluted city again, but each to their own, people have to make their own life and be happy with it.

What people don't realise is there is a massive difference in pay between a Scaff monkey who spends all day lumping gear and the leading hand who comes to site reads the drawings then sets up the base-out, puts together the order list, works out where he needs what lifted to then makes the whole thing go up so quick he doesn't hold any trades up.

its like anything you don't just say I'm a scaffy give me the big dollars now, you gotta know your shit to make big bucks, or just work mega hours.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, start at the bottom and work your way up, if you get good at what you do and learn where the $$ are and you will get there, sometimes you will be surprised where the good $$ are and just how good they are,

Exactly the point I was trying to make, start at the bottom and work your way up, if you get good at what you do and learn where the $$ are and you will get there, sometimes you will be surprised where the good $$ are and just how good they are,

I agree with your sentiment mick, but I'm still adamant that there aren't any scaffies in Australia making 300 large unless they own shitloads of scaffold outright or run massive contract gangs, which woul make them business men not scaffolders.

the 300k blue collar job is a fantasy

Yeah your probably right there, I have seen scaffolders and crane drivers make around 140K a year, but not 300K.

I make more than that working half the year. If you're willing to do the hours, you'll get close to 200. 300 is Africa territory or somewhere with danger money and a bodyguard that follows you around with an AK

I make more than that working half the year. If you're willing to do the hours, you'll get close to 200. 300 is Africa territory or somewhere with danger money and a bodyguard that follows you around with an AK

I've had mates do Africa one as a pipeline welder doing maintenance. Had some fucked up stories about locals deliberately sabotaging lines to ambush the crews that come and repair them, using kids as human shields, going out to explosion sites where entire communities have been scorched blown up while trying to tap the line.

He was a hard cünt but even he reckoned it was real desperado shit and only scum bags could do it. The locals were so poor they'd kill you for your boots

I don't know what he was on but he was only there a few months and made enough to pay 300k cash for an apartment.

I've heard blokes talk about big big coin in png at the moment but also hear it's pretty hectic and plenty get killed as well.

Last edited:
Worked with a guy that did PNG years ago. Was talking it up like anything before he went (had done better parts of SE Asia before), only lasted about 3 months and was back working the same job again!

Just scored a traineeship as a rigger/crane operator.
By the end of it will have intermediate riggers ticket, CN licence plus other tickets in there. After I do my time where is the place to go for the big dollars? Love an adventure, was even thinking about going overseas or getting into the offshore rigs.
Cheers

Last edited:
Not sure intermediate and a CN will get you too far to be honest but could be wrong.... Work paid for me to do those and I wouldn't consider applying for a rigging or crane job!
It's a foot in the door though, may open up some possibilities.

Just scored a traineeship as a rigger/crane operator.
By the end of it will have intermediate riggers ticket, CN licence plus other tickets in there. After I do my time where is the place to go for the big dollars? Love an adventure, was even thinking about going overseas or getting into the offshore rigs.
Cheers

CN is only non-slewers - telehandlers (think forks with portal booms) & frannas, but intermediate rigging is a good ticket.

IR can do almost anything with cranes except really exotic shit that no one does like cable cars. This may vary state to state I'm not sure.

A million blokes have riggers tickets but very few of those are real riggers, your lucky you got a traineeship, you'll get alot of real time on the job experience. Just cause you have the ticket doesn't mean I can point you to a favco and say go put that fucking thing up and make it quick cause this whole operation is costing me 1500 bucks an hour, a pretender will just fucking stare at you a real rigger will just look at you and say job and knock and then get to it.

I keep hearing PNG is the place to get rich at the moment, there is a big LNG boom on in the highlands. Pretty dangerous though.

Last edited:
Yeah traineeship should be good. I've got advanced rigging, CV and C2 but my experience is limited to power lines and some Comms rigging. The tickets are easy, its the experience that counts.

Oh yeah one other thing [MENTION=14326]slash[/MENTION]; now that you are going to be a rigger you no longer require the entire english language you only need the phrases listed below -

1. Hook up, hook down, slew left, slew right etc etc
2. Lifts require gifts
3. Wet steel no deal
4. Job and knock aye boss
5. I know it seems fine down here but up there we're getting gusts of 60

"If you can't tie knots, tie lots"

Though you should probably avoid working with a rigger who can't tie knots.