• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner female - is this a decent program??

C

Cardi-no

Hi,

I was into strength training last year but went travelling and generally mucked around, so while my technique for certain exercises is okay, I'm basically a beginner when it comes to lifting now.

Last year I was training at an awesome gym and my programs were great, but my gym doesn't have as much equipment now (and I'm not super knowledgable enough to figure out what to swap certain things for), and I'm looking at doing shorter programs and getting the most bang for my buck.

I'm looking to lose fat and set the foundation for more strength training in the future. From what I understand, full-body workouts every other day are best for this, with functional basic movements. The program I wrote is based on Nia Shanks': Womens Beginner Strength Training Guide to Lift Like a Girl

Which is basically 3 days (1-2-1 one week, 2-1-2 the next):

Training Day 1

1) Squat variation 4×5-8

2a) Horizontal push 4×5-8

2b) Horizontal pull 4×5-8

3) Back extensions 3×10

Training Day 2

1) Deadlift variation 4×5

2a) Vertical push 4×5-8

2b) Vertical pull 4×5-8

3) Back extensions 3×10

Based on where I think I'm at and the movements I enjoy...I've put this down as my program:

Day 1:

A: Goblet Squat 4 x 8-10
B: DB Bench Press 4 x 8-10
B: Bent over DB row 4 x 8-10
C: Prowler runs x 3
D: Back extension 3 x 10

Day 2:

A: Kettlebell deadlift 4 x 8-10
B: DB Overhead Press 4 x 8-10
B: Wide grip lat pulldown 4 x 8-10
C: Row sprints 3 x 200m
D: Back extension 3 x 10

Plan would be to train 3-4 times a week alternating these training days. On non-strength days, plan to do 30mins HIIT. I also do bikram yoga (for mental exercise more than anything haha) 2-3 times a week. So a week might look like:

M: Weights & Yoga
T: HIIT
W: Weights & Yoga
Th: HIIT
F: Weights & Yoga
Sa: REST
Su: Weights

For my goals, is this appropriate? Should I be doing things differently?

Diet is fine and very clean (am a nutrition student [not that I know it all!!!!] so I'm comfortable with my macros and adjusting them in line with training).

Generally programs don't care what gender you are. So there is no need to look for a female strength program

Generally programs don't care what gender you are. So there is no need to look for a female strength program

Agree with you, swap out "female" for "beginner who isn't too confident with barbells just yet but workin' on it"?

Agree with you, swap out "female" for "beginner who isn't too confident with barbells just yet but workin' on it"?

There is a reason barbells form the foundation of basically every strength training program, goblet squats wont cut it past week 2 or 3.

I strongly recommend you do either this or starting strength (as a side note, if you want to get all the information you need on how to correctly perform the barbell lifts, the starting strength book is an excellent reference, even if you don't follow the program itself).

There is a reason barbells form the foundation of basically every strength training program, goblet squats wont cut it past week 2 or 3.

I strongly recommend you do either this or starting strength (as a side note, if you want to get all the information you need on how to correctly perform the barbell lifts, the starting strength book is an excellent reference, even if you don't follow the program itself).

Awesome, cheers. I was planning on doing that program for 4 weeks and seeing how I go, and then adding barbell and trap bar work in to replace dumbbell lifts. I'm recovering from a couple of injuries so I'm more comfortable testing the waters on weak joints with dumbbells rather than barbells.