• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Commonwealth Games 2014

spartacus

anyone looking forward to Commonwealth Games,

I am looking forward to aths, swimming, cycling, rugby sevens, weight lifting and triathlon.

Events start 24 July.

anyone looking forward to Commonwealth Games,

I am looking forward to aths, swimming, cycling, rugby sevens, weight lifting and triathlon.

Events start 24 July.

For sure. Just checked the Australian weightlifting records...we've certainly gone backwards...or at least have not improved since weightlifting was banned from the AIS. What a shame! Looking forward to seeing the sprinters in action.

I used to train at same time as Kylie Lindbeck. she is a former crossfitter who I always thought was suited to lifting.

I dig all the Olympics, commonwealth games etc. Get to watch athletes representing their country in sports you don't often see on TV. Makes a nice change from AFL.

Weightlifting is always interesting to see and the kids enjoy it too.

Yerp. Weightlifting should be good.

One day powerlifting will be up there. Raw, drug tested and awesome.

Yerp. Weightlifting should be good.

One day powerlifting will be up there. Raw, drug tested and awesome.
Come to think of it, why is it not already up there (even at the Olympics)!? Granted bodybuilding is a subjective sport, but powerlifting !! I mean numbers don't lie..as in weight lifted and how it's been lifted.

Last edited:
Some good person decided to upload the whole 1982 weightlifting commonwealth games on YouTube. I was a bar loader sitting there next to Julian Jones (who is currently the head strength coach at the AIS). The day before the games, we had the Australian Youth Championships to test out the electronic board....this sure brings back memories.

Sister and brother Socheata and Vannara Be, who were born in Cambodia but will represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games at weightlifting.
Vannara and Socheata Be need look no further than their parents for motivation when the monotony of lifting barbells in the gym becomes too much of a strain.
The Cambodian-born brother and sister, who will represent Australia in weightlifting at next week's Commonwealth Games, arrive in Glasgow having not forgotten the devastating toll on their family at the hands of the Khmer Rouge.
It is 16 years since Vannara, 25, and Socheata, 24, settled in Australia, joining their father Vanthy, who had been sponsored for a work visa by a Yarra Valley vineyard.
Their uncle Vantho travelled by boat to Australia as a refugee more than a decade earlier, eventually encouraging their father to make the journey and later his wife Chantha and children.
And while the siblings are set on excelling at their first major championships together, their family's traumatic history on the killing fields of their homeland remains in a corner of their minds.
Their father's brother and a sister were killed, the latter's death causing so much anguish to Vannara and Socheata's grandmother that she lost the use of one eye.
"Back when our father was still a child, he had to go through the Pol Pot era. It was a traumatic thing for him ... the killing and all that stuff," Vannara said.
"His mum was that upset, crying every day until one of her eyes just fell in. She can only see out of one eye – the other one just closed up and disappeared.
"When he wants us to work hard, suddenly he'll just bring it up. He tells us how hard it was to earn money and the trauma [inflicted by] Pol Pot and all that stuff as well. He still mentions it to keep us motivated and pushing hard."
Those reminders of the past have kept the duo driven enough to qualify for the Commonwealth Games, where Vannara will compete in the men's 69kg division and Socheata in the women's 53kg class.
They are not exactly on easy street as amateur athletes based in Melbourne. Vannara has been working two jobs, as a forklift driver in a chicken-processing factory and as a cleaner, in the lead-up to Glasgow. It is his second Commonwealth Games after an appearance in Delhi four years ago. Both speak of the obstacles of learning English from scratch.
Yet it's a far cry from their upbringing, helping their mother run her store in Kandal province on the outskirts of Phnom Penh.
"I remember at one point there was a massive event that happened and we weren't allowed to go on the street because there were soldiers and stuff all round, and we had to stay inside for a few days," Socheata said. "The conditions over there weren't a really safe environment I guess, and that's why a lot of people tried to come over here."
If either or both collect a medal for their adopted country in Scotland, they know they will owe plenty to their family and what they endured.
"It's always in their head and their hearts," Socheata said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/commonweal...amilys-past-20140717-zu09k.html#ixzz37xMLkhDy

Don't care about the opening ceremony but I'll watch the games. Better than soccer or tennis that's for sure.

The rugby 7's will be good! The top 4 are the top 4 in the world, NZ, England, Australia & the South Afrikans..

Plus Canada, Kenya & Samoa have all beaten everyone but the Kiwi's in the past 3 or 4 years. That will be a genuine world class event.

yep, will be good to watch the great sports like athletics, running, swimming, cycling and weightlifting.

Starts tonight 6.30.

Problem with the coverage is that you get no choice as to what events you get to watch. I want to see the weightlifting stuff, not bloody archery and horse dancing and all that other shit that goes on.