• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Therefore, if one chooses to embark on such a high intensity program, there will be benefit in dedicating time each day to move the CNS back to the parasympathetic system, through meditation, avoidance of stimulants and supplementing things like phosphatidylserine and vitamin C?

i have never used a high intensity and volume combination approach before, I have typically done a 4 day split, each session 45-60 mins max. Just curious to learn more about your ideas.

Therefore, if one chooses to embark on such a high intensity program, there will be benefit in dedicating time each day to move the CNS back to the parasympathetic system, through meditation, avoidance of stimulants and supplementing things like phosphatidylserine and vitamin C?

i have never used a high intensity and volume combination approach before, I have typically done a 4 day split, each session 45-60 mins max. Just curious to learn more about your ideas.

I'm very impressed with your attitude Dave. Looking at your avatar, I highly doubt that your physique has ever spent much time activating its SNS. Anabolism is what I see when I look at your magnificent back muscles champ, but you've really impressed me when you included one of the most important tools in a bodybuilder's tool bag, and that was the meditation aspect to one's overall bodybuilding program. Prayer, meditation, reflection, and visualisation. These are all interrelated and serve as one powerful tool in assisting the athlete realise his ultimate goal.

The CNS is mainly affected when one goes above and beyond with ultra low reps like 1 and 2, something bodybuilders seldom delve into. That's why I'm always emphasising that the sport of bodybuilding is more of a metabolic sport as opposed to Olympic weightlifting, where the emphasis is mainly on neural efficiency development (rather than muscle hypertrophy).

Furthermore, the application of combining high intensity with high volume is reserved for elite athletes aiming to get into some NFOR for a fortnight or so. This is not something that your average (or even most advanced) gym bodybuilder would even contemplate, as there's simply no need for it.

As for supplements, well there are a plenty out there. Like you, I don't consume stimulants, but that does not mean I would not use them as drugs! I know , the word drug may be a bit strong here, but that's the way I like to view say, caffeine for example. Taking the right amount of caffeine and combining it with L theanine would serve me a purpose, and since I do not consume, or rather drink coffee for recreational/enjoyment purposes, the effects of these two powerful yet opposing ingredients would be very much magnified. A group of supplement you'd want to look into deeply would be the Adaptogen family. I'll leave it here as far as supplements are concerned for now ok. Let's move on...

Not many, not many at all appreciate the importance of the psychological aspect to training, and how dedicating some time to this most powerful tool can play a huge role in one's cortisol/ adrenalin levels (the catabolics), and how a calm mind, one that knows how to deal and manage stress levels properly can shift and bring about homeostasis and overall wellbeing. Bravo Champ, and it's great to have you here on Ausbb.

Last edited:
Hi Fadi,

thank you for your kind words.

i agree with all of the above. I look forward to reading more of your posts and learning/ exchanging ideas.

great discussion [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; and [MENTION=17825]Davepuppies[/MENTION];

very relevant to just about everyone

I have done a search without any real success and read a few articles without any real success either so forgive me for the newbie question. At least this is the right topic for it!

I am essentially searching for a good tricep exercise. On my arm day I do weighted dips for triceps which is great and I'm making real progress there. For my second tricep exercise I am currently doing a cable push down but that doesn't really seem to be that effective in as much as I can't really feel like it is isolating my triceps well enough. Part of my training paradigm is that I lift between 80-85% of my theoretical 1RM - i.e. I stay between 4-6 reps so I don't want to do exercises where I do lots of reps and "feel the burn/pump". I have also tried O/H tricep DB press but again that doesn't seem to hit my triceps as well as I would like. Any suggestions? It could easily be that I'm doing push-downs wrong as I'm using the EZ attachment. Perhaps the rope attachment or even the straight bar would be better.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Skullcrushers with a bb or db's, any angle from lying to sitting
Lying single arm dbs across the face
French presses
Close grip bench
JM presses

Agree with packers here, do heavy weighted dips but a second exercise with 8-12 reps

Thanks for the answers all! I will try skullcrushers for sure - as well as look up those others that White_Lie mentioned!

I do want to stick with 4-6 for the time being though. I'm following Mike Matthews' Bigger Leaner Stronger. When I get to "Beyond Bigger Leaner Stronger" I may look more at different rep ranges. 4-6 is working very well for now though for both strength and size - both of which are important to me. I will do a bit of reading around higher ranges though. Is there any reason specifically why you've recommended a higher rep range?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the helpful and thoughtful replies!

I like close grip bench and Jm press. Everything else just fucks with my elbows. 4-6 reps is ok with enough total volume. For specific hypertrophy i dp prefer 4 or 5 sets to failure personally.

Couldn't find a related thread that answered my question and didn't think it worthy of a new thread so here it goes.

Lets say I wanted a "volume" day, do I calculate total weight moved on heavy day then divide by volume reps to find an equivalent amount of work with higher reps?

Or is it a percentage? If so, what percentage should I aim for if heavy days are 5 reppers and volume is (planned to be) 10-12?

Or do I just fuck around until I find the weight I can lift at that rep range instead of overthinking.

Fucked if I know what to do, no science in my training at all, I just try to lift things, eat stuff and grow a bit :p

Last edited:
I wouldn't over think it.
Take maybe 60-80% of your working 5 rep weight and do 10-12 of that.
If it's too light, up the weight, if it's too heavy, drop the weight. Can depend on your rest time and TUT as well

Last edited:
I flog this absolutely everywhere, helped me out a bit with odds and ends

Can't tell you how much this helped me. I've always struggled to get full depth in my squat and just assumed my body just didn't work that way! Found this thread while researching a new power rack and just squatted for the first time since watching it. Had to drop some weight off the bar but man it's a good feeling to get true arse to grass squats!

cheers Strung Out!

Can't tell you how much this helped me. I've always struggled to get full depth in my squat and just assumed my body just didn't work that way! Found this thread while researching a new power rack and just squatted for the first time since watching it. Had to drop some weight off the bar but man it's a good feeling to get true arse to grass squats!

cheers Strung Out!

Good vid.
Start light, even just the bar until you are confortable with your firm. Then gradually add weight.

I've been squatting for a while so I was getting up in weight but had plateaued so I figure that is to do with my form.

I had to drop down a good 30 kilos once I got the form right! I'm not worried about the number though. Just happy to get it right. I think some of the foot placement and hip alignment will help with my deadlifts too