• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
You all know i agree with you re arm work. ;)

Squat.
Bench.
Deadlift.
OHP.
Row.
Chins.

3 days. Use differing intensities and rep ranges each session. Enjoy.

Tim.

I agree with the guys around a simple full body program done multiple times a week. I returned to training after long break earlier this year and followed the beginner program you can find in the powerlifting section

http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?t=9460

I did

Squat 3 x 10 (pull ups between sets)
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8 (pull ups between sets)
Deadlift 3 x 8 (abs between sets)
BB curl 3 x 8 (abs between sets)

I added pull ups in between the sets of bench and OH press, just a couple of reps each set
I added sit ups or some ab work in between sets deadlift and curls

I only trained 2 times a week but i'm an older git so 3 times would be fine. I literally started with the bar and added 5kg a week until I couldn't get all the reps then started adding 2.5kg a week. The key is hard work, consistency and progressing a little bit each week, either adding couple more reps or a little more weight.

You all know i agree with you re arm work. ;)

Squat.
Bench.
Deadlift.
OHP.
Row.
Chins.

3 days. Use differing intensities and rep ranges each session. Enjoy.

Tim.

This is all gold folk - thanks for that, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the steer.

I can't do chin-ups or pull ups - too fat for that right now.

I feel good about the above but a few questions:
1 There are a few variations of rows - do you mean bent over rows like this? workoutlabs.com/exercise-guide/two-armed-bent-over-row/
2. I can't do chins - any alternative to this?
3. Happy to leave arms as optional once I've made a start I can make a call. What arm exercise are we talking about specifically here?
4. 3 days is fine but I don't understand this, "Use differing intensities and rep ranges each session."

Once again, many thanks. P.

Bent rows are excellent.
Uae the assisted chin up machine. Or lat pulldown.

See what simo74 the old git did above? Seriously just do that

Tim.

You can do 3 + 1 or 2 extras per workout and target the whole body.

I just train one on and one off.

W/O 1. Squat variance, dip, chin (2 sets arm curls, 2 sets tricep rope)
W/O 2. Squat variance(change rep range) inc bench, DB row (calves)
W/O 3. Dealift, Row, flat bench (hams)
W/O 4. Squat Variance, OHP, Pull up (traps 2 -3 sets shrugs)

This is all gold folk - thanks for that, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the steer.

I can't do chin-ups or pull ups - too fat for that right now.

I feel good about the above but a few questions:
1 There are a few variations of rows - do you mean bent over rows like this? workoutlabs.com/exercise-guide/two-armed-bent-over-row/
2. I can't do chins - any alternative to this?
3. Happy to leave arms as optional once I've made a start I can make a call. What arm exercise are we talking about specifically here?
4. 3 days is fine but I don't understand this, "Use differing intensities and rep ranges each session."

Once again, many thanks. P.

1. No I meant bent over barbel row like this http://workoutlabs.com/exercise-guide/bent-over-barbell-rows/ but dont think it really matters.
2. You can try assisted chins or fat man rows, but if you cant do a single pull up yet I would leave it out until you can.
3. Up to you
4. I think what Tim was referring to was to make each workout have different rep ranges and weight (intensity). So Monday may be a heavier day where you do 3 sets of 5 reps for each exercise, Wednesday is a medium day where you do 3 sets of 8 with each exercise and Friday a light day where you do 3 sets of 12-15 reps with each exercise. I think considering you are just beginning it may be easier for you to stick with one rep range for each workout and the same weight each set which you slowly increase week to week as I mentioned above.

The other point I did not mention but goosey did, was to start with 1 set of each exercise for the first week, then 2 the second week and 3 the third week and beyond.

Thanks you all, I'm sorted for now. Will give it a whirl and let you all know how it goes. I'm excited about this plan, it's simple and very do-able.

I'm in debt to all of you for giving me the benefit of your knowledge and experience - very much appreciated.

For newbs this is where it starts. Arm fluff is a distraction. They don't need it for starters, they won't gain anything from it. It starts with one set, then it's 5 sets of arms. Then you drop the dreads and squats because need more time for the gunz bra.
Flawed argument, a beginner can drop the deadlifts, squats etc. Whether they are doing barbell curls or not

I'm waiting to the answer. How their is no arm work with rows, bench and overhead included.
No need for an answer to a ridiculous argument but I suspect you're not that stupid not to see that it's a ridiculous argument.
So tell me, what is it you ćunt face?

No need for an answer to a ridiculous argument but I suspect you're not that stupid not to see that it's a ridiculous argument.
So tell me, what is it you ćunt face?

You made a stupid statement and now trying to cover that with gibberish.

You said you need arm work. Those three exercises work the arms. Remember we are talking a pure beginner. Once you get past that stage do all the direct arm work you want.

You squat and deadlift argument just shows how dumb you have been today. I don't do exercises to target specific muscles. All the good excises target multiple muscles.

I think darko just got upset because I called arm work fluff.

Last edited:
If done right, Rows and Chins will give enough stimulation for Bi growth. I do it regularly, very rarely Curl.

OHP, Dips, Push Ups etc if done right will give enough stimulation for Tri growth. I do it regularly.

But Bodybuilders and Bro's like swole Arms

At the end of the day, A good exercise program requires both multi and single joint exercises.

you know what darkoz means Cowboy.

the row does work the arm, but a bicep curl will (in the long term) maintian shoulder and elbow health.
as well as the many other benefits, we can go into it if needed.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, A good exercise program requires both multi and single joint exercises.

you know what darkoz means Cowboy.

the row does work the arm, but a bicep curl will (in the long term) maintian shoulder and elbow health.
as well as the many other benefits, if we can go into if needed.

fuck you and your elbow

If done right, Rows and Chins will give enough stimulation for Bi growth. I do it regularly, very rarely Curl.

OHP, Dips, Push Ups etc if done right will give enough stimulation for Tri growth. I do it regularly.

But Bodybuilders and Bro's like swole Arms

Not correct, nothing can increase the size of a muscle like single joint movements, the trick is, is the in this case, less is more.

too much too often will fuck up the joints due to imbalances.

You made a stupid statement and now trying to cover that with gibberish.

You said you need arm work. Those three exercises work the arms. Remember we are talking a pure beginner. Once you get past that stage do all the direct arm work you want.

You squat and deadlift argument just shows how dumb you have been today. I don't do exercises to target specific muscles. All the good excises target multiple muscles.

I think darko just got upset because I called arm work fluff.
Try having a discussion for once without your arrogant attitude and name calling Bazza.
The squat and deadlift example I gave is no different to your argument that your arms are involved in benching and other exercises.

You may not do exercises to target specific muscles, good for you that's your choice but other people do and there is nothing wrong with that.
My point being with all this is that arms are just another body part that should be targeted just like we do with legs, shoulders or any other body part regardless if you're a beginner or not,
No-one has built big muscular arms without directly working them and that goes for any other body part.

I concur Darknutz

However, I do like the idea of running a starting strength, 5x5 or similar program for a beginner. I think its important to get a strength base down first before shooting for hypertrophy. Spend 12 months building strength first. If you want to do some curls a few times a week its not going to do any harm