• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need Ideas on Cooking A Whole Eye Fillet

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
So I got a nice big piece of whole eye fillet steak from Harvey Beef today. Any cooking ideas?

I have in my mind slicing them up thickly, wrapping and dunking them in a 56 degc sous vide water bath for an hour, followed by a quick sear at the grill. Served with some grilled vegies on the side.

Anyone got some other good ideas on how to make use of this succulent piece of meat? I have like 3kgs worth so that's several meals worth of experiments available.

Would make great steaks or portion it up into 1kg mini roasts to eat over the week.

If you go the thick cut steaks I would grill on each side for about 3 minutes and then put it in the oven at 180-200 C for about 6-8 minutes. Won't need much more than salt and pepper, although I do like to rub them down with olive oil, salt, pepper, chilli, garlic and ginger before cooking.

As for a mini roast, pick your fave spices and slow roast. After coating you could sear it off very quickly and then roast to get that 'crispy' outside.

Eitherway, make sure it is room temp before cooking it and let it sit for a few minutes after before eating / carving. Awesome cut of meat you have there!!

OK, all this is making me hungry!

Would make great steaks or portion it up into 1kg mini roasts to eat over the week.

If you go the thick cut steaks I would grill on each side for about 3 minutes and then put it in the oven at 180-200 C for about 6-8 minutes. Won't need much more than salt and pepper, although I do like to rub them down with olive oil, salt, pepper, chilli, garlic and ginger before cooking.

As for a mini roast, pick your fave spices and slow roast. After coating you could sear it off very quickly and then roast to get that 'crispy' outside.

Eitherway, make sure it is room temp before cooking it and let it sit for a few minutes after before eating / carving. Awesome cut of meat you have there!!

Grill WTF... I meant fry 3 minutes on each side :)

So I got a nice big piece of whole eye fillet steak from Harvey Beef today. Any cooking ideas?

I have in my mind slicing them up thickly, wrapping and dunking them in a 56 degc sous vide water bath for an hour, followed by a quick sear at the grill. Served with some grilled vegies on the side.

Anyone got some other good ideas on how to make use of this succulent piece of meat? I have like 3kgs worth so that's several meals worth of experiments available.

[h=3]Recipe: Faux Dry Aged Steak Marinade[/h]http://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

About half way down the page FTW!!

Would not use Olive Oil it's smoke point is way too low and you end up with a slightly burnt flavour if you are just trying to seal it at a super high heat.

Yerp. Use coconut oil. High smoke point and give a nice flavour.

Don't fuk around with the beef. Pan fry at heat only high enough to caramelise the outside, around 3 min per side. Eat rare. Anything over medium rare I gonna hunt you down and shove that rib eye bone up yer butt.

Toss in some mushrooms too. Half a glass of good red wine. Anaboic as bro. You gonna be hoooge. Benny Mag is gonna be looking over his shoulder next time he deadlifts.

Do not make a roast out of eye fillet jesus fucking christ.

Steak frites would have to be my favourite steak dish. Learn to make fresh hollandaise and you'll blow minds/drop panties.

It's an awesome piece of meat thats for sure! It never gets tough and I've cooked it in just about every way imaginable. Cut into strips for stir fries, chunks for green and vindaloo curry, sliced up for steaks, teriyaki beef, it was all good. I have found it responds real good to marinades and nice gentle cooking. Haven't roasted it yet though :D

Those sound like terrible uses for eye fillet. You missed an awesome opportunity to try your hand at beef wellington. Probably my #2 steak fav.

lmao, what do you mean by missed opportunity?? I still have another 3 kilos worth to go through! Beef wellington aye, I never thought of that one.

Beef wellingtons are probably the only time ill use eye fillet. Its easily my psuedo-vegetarian girlfriends favourite meal. The most time consuming part is making up a good jus to go with it.

3kegs of fillet? I'll pick up my share on Wednesday!

Cut them in to 230-250g portions, poke a bit of herb in the middle and wrap in prosciutto or similar. Seal em up and cook in the oven till medium rare