• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Max's Challenge 2014

Max's can SMD. Overpriced supps. If they were a little overpriced it wouldn't bother me but they screw you royally esp the protein powders.
[emoji35]

Buying sups would turn me off. The chances I'd be in the too 50 are probably slim and I'd rather see it go to grossly overweight people doing it for renewed motivation regarding their health.

interesting challenge. I agree that Max's supplements are overpriced, but IMO their marketing is some of the most effective (fancy packaging, distinctive mascot, citing studies without explanation of metadata, naming things so that they sound like steroids etc)

I wonder how many of the winners use gear though (would be topkek if people were using DNP to lose stupid amounts of fat for example)

If I was to enter seriously, do I have to show that I have purchased Max's products?

Reason I ask is because I can't stomach their protein shakes.

You can just use some of their BCAAs, creatine or cookies/bars.

I've found that the different type of protein powders they offer vary a lot. The SuperShred which is 90% protein and the most expensive is WPI and very smooth and easy to drink. SuperWhey which is 80% and a blend of WPI and WPC is pretty easy to drink with water. But their Cell Repair and mass gainer are about 40% protein and 40% carbs and are quite thick and can make you feel bloated.

One size fits all meal plan. Interedasting.
Yeah, I think they're improving the meal plans this year. Having one for complete beginners and one for people already training. The meal plans are broken down into 3 plans over the 12 weeks (week 1-4, 5-8, 9-12). In the first 4 week block I didn't see much progress as I think the overall calories were too much for my body type/weight. Then when I got a feel for the meal plans and dialed it in a bit, I got better results.

Below were last year's meal plans put into Calorie King.

------------Calories -- Fat ---- Protein - Carbs
BULK
Week 1-4 --- 4095 --- 33% --- 31% --- 36%
Week 5-8 --- 3592 --- 32% --- 34% --- 34%
Week 9-12 -- 2872 --- 27% --- 41% --- 32%

SHRED
Week 1-4 --- 2401 --- 27% --- 47% --- 26%
Week 5-8 --- 1928 --- 21% --- 55% --- 24%
Week 9-12 -- 1713 --- 22% --- 60% --- 18%

Last edited:
Also the nutrition depends on your daily movement doesn't it? For example I took a week off training recently but kept my food the same. In that week, the amount of physical work I did for my job, i.e digging and pulling cables and so on, I lost a bit of weight so you would have to compensate for that. Is that right?

Yeah. They recommend about 30 minutes cardio a day, so just count that a your cardio lol.

Programs like Maxs will never be good for the long term, a diet and macro nutrient partitioning should always be based on the individual and not a template.

Programs like Maxs will never be good for the long term, a diet and macro nutrient partitioning should always be based on the individual and not a template.

That is what I was getting at.

Cutting at 1700 cals with 30mins of cardio a day is a great plan for a small female. Not so much for a 100kg guy for example. Well not if he wants to retain any LBM anyway :p

The amount of cardio/weights is also strange. (especially given the low calories). I suppose they are just pre empting the inevitable binges that happen with restrictive dieting.

I guess it's more of a way to introduce people into healthy eating as most people doing the challenge are complete noobs without much experience. It's then up to the individual using common sense and trial and error to adjust the plans to suit your body.

Introduce them??
Yeah may as well start then on the right foot straight away with one size fits all programs and diets. [emoji34]

Fuck Max's.

Say what you want, but their challenge gets results and there are thousands of people who can testify to that. I know it totally changed my view on diet and exercise and I've gotten better results in the last year than the previous 4 since I started.

The challenge educates people about diet, exercise, eating habits, supplements and makes them healthier and gets them looking better. Isn't this ultimately the point fitness and working out?

Fuck Max's? That just sounds like the attitude of some miserably person seeing other people get the results they haven't been able to achieve.

Lol . seriously man you don't need some challenge to garner results. They prey on the uneducated to make them but their overpriced supps.
$60+/kg for WPI is a joke. Even allowing for the manufacturing process and middle man mark ups no WPI costs that much.

Max's supps are quite expensive.

My old training partner did well on the challenge though

But you can do that in any 12 weeks of the year.

I think plenty of people are having technical issues with uploading photos and other stuff. Most of it gets ironed out in the first few days.

So who here actually signed up?

The week 4 check-ins are happening at the moment so plenty of people are uploading their progress photos.