• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Newbie - Possible overtraining?

G

Grazer

So I'm a middle aged noob to lifting. Got a decent rack, oly barbell set, and started a basic program from the starting strength on this site. Maybe just concerned about wasting time because of overtraining due to 3x full body workouts a week with other stuff on off days. I'll put what I'm doing down and if anyone with some experience could maybe offer some advice it'd be much appreciated. Live on a farm out in the sticks so no one around to ask.

Basic Program : Usually done around midday.

3x8 Bench
3x8 Deadlift
3x10 Bent over row
3x10 Seated overhead press
3x8 Squat
3x10 Barbell curl

Monday : Basic Program. Basketball game evening. Night: barbell/weight plate shrugs.
Tuesday : 5km morning walk around farm. Night: Basketball jump program. (mainly skipping, stretching/flexibility, plyometric jumping excercises)
Wednesday: Basic Program. Night: wide grip pull ups.
Thursday : 5km walk. Jump program.
Friday : Basic Program. Night: Close grip / reverse grip bench, high reps.

No way you're going to be overtraining
If you're not having problems then don't change anything

I would throw in another leg exercise like lunges if you have limited equipment. Maybe some tricep and ab work also.

Good effort grazer..

I assume you are asking about over training as you are feeling it may be the case?

Or are you looking to mix things up a bit?

Yeah. Feeling it a bit at the end of the week. Bit drained. But maybe that's just because I'm new to training and bodies not used to it yet. Not really looking to mix it up too much yet, read that I should pay my dues on starting strength for a year and build a good foundation.

Probably add some core work onto my jump training, planks/side planks, crunches, hanging raises. Do jumping lunges, 8 second body weight squats and calf raises in there too so not that concerned about only squats for legs.

Guess I'll just tough it out and see how my body adapts to new training. Only asked cause I read somewhere that you should only do a bodypart once a week. Figured I'd ask some people that actually lift rather than talk and write about it.

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Nope, don't bring that one back up!

You'll feel a bit stiff, sore and drained, that's just because you're doing something new that the body isn't used to. Give it time to adapt, if you're really struggling then cut out all the extra night time work until your body can cope. At this stage, it's not over training but probably more a case of under recovering.

Make sure you get enough sleep, eat well, and warm your body up before your training. Practice and keep improving your technique. You'll feel right into the game within a month if you stay consistent and persistent.

You don't need a warm up, just get into it.
your body is already warm, just use the first set do get in the groove, then go baby.

It's a 2 degC morning today, I'm sure if I just go and start with my first work set in squats without a good warm up I'd break something lol.