• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When to start wearing weight belt and knee wraps?

BrisVegasGhost

Elite Member
I have never worn a weight belt or knee wraps...
So when should you consider wearing these?
With my current training I have always done around 8 to 10 reps but now that I will have my own set up at home soon I want to look at really increasing my strength. My current weight is 80kg and for example I would finish my squats with a max weight 120kg for about 8 to 10 reps. Not completely busting my ass for fear of causing injury.

Same goes with my bench, 120kg for 8 reps. But I have neve tried to do a personal best on squats or bench.
Any advice on if I should look at wearing any of this supportive gear To Increase my strength?
My deadlifts is crap....been slack doing these over the years....actually have done hardly any. But since I will have my home gym set up soon I am really want to get more involved in strength training.
Cheers

Your 80kg and benching 120kg for 8 reps, which is the same as your squat?

I was 80kg last season and was benching 105kg for 8 reps, but squatting 180kg for 8 reps. Is your upperbody huge compared to your lowerbody out of curiosity? Because that's very impressive bench but extremely laggy squats.

Oh and to answer your question, in my opinion if your rep range is rarely very low and one rep maxes I personally would never use a belt. In the last 3 months I've stopped using belts just of curiosity to see what impact it has on my lifts and my body. I guess I'm one of those few people who would rather try something instead of read about it to find the answer. If your pushing out one-rep maxes and want to compete then I'd suggest a belt, but remember that the belt isn't to so much save your back, then as it is to create additional abdominal pressure to try and get your max squat or deadlift.

Correct me if I'm wrong other members

Your 80kg and benching 120kg for 8 reps, which is the same as your squat?

I was 80kg last season and was benching 105kg for 8 reps, but squatting 180kg for 8 reps. Is your upperbody huge compared to your lowerbody out of curiosity? Because that's very impressive bench but extremely laggy squats.

Squats were lagging due to an injury from a cycling fall. That problem is fixed so now starting to look at making gains here in strength.

Oh and to answer your question, in my opinion if your rep range is rarely very low and one rep maxes I personally would never use a belt. In the last 3 months I've stopped using belts just of curiosity to see what impact it has on my lifts and my body. I guess I'm one of those few people who would rather try something instead of read about it to find the answer. If your pushing out one-rep maxes and want to compete then I'd suggest a belt, but remember that the belt isn't to so much save your back, then as it is to create additional abdominal pressure to try and get your max squat or deadlift.

Correct me if I'm wrong other members

Correct.

A belt won't "make you stronger". Its more of an aid to utilise the strength you have. Same with wraps. If you are not competing then you have no need for wraps, whereas a belt will help you get stronger by allowing you to stay tight so that you can use heavier weights.

And fix the deadlifts. Nothing will thicken you up and strengthen your complete posterior chain than deads. There is a reason why people hate to do them or skip them or do them half arsed (i.e. tack them on the end of a squat session). Anything that daunting is worth doing.

Last edited: