• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What piece of gym equipment do you find annoying?

I think the most annoying ones are the machines that are made for one purpose but are still inherently flawed in their design
Seated calf raise
Seated leg curl
Most leg presses
Lying leg curl machines without a break at the hips

Smith machine is OK, I even use it myself. It's great for the chest and great for doing rowing exercises on too
I use smaller barbells for arms complexes often, they are nice and thick and a good finisher
Fat grips do exactly what they say
Etc

Smith and fat gripz are great for chest pumps. I do 60kg sets with the fat gripz, gets a much better pump in the chest than the same work without them.
Only use the smith for the occasional pump work too. If I lift too heavy on it, it throws my shoulders out of whack

seated calf raise isn't even a calf raise. Everyone knows the soleus is the only muscle responsible for plantarflexion when the knee has a 90 degree bend in it.

the thing I'm thinking of is a 45 degree sled that you lay on - how would you do good mornings with it?

Ever tried doing the hack squats backwards? Doesn't always work, depending on the machine but a lot of them feel a lot better facing in to the pads.

Spin around and face the sled and put your shoulders under the pads, then proceed to do a good morning.

Greater benefit for constant tension/building muscle etc than pure weight/strength gain.

Yeah there are a lot of legs presses out there which I find are just BAD, if you can get a good quality well designed 45deg leg press they are pretty awesome.... any of the seated flat ones I have used have been crap.

Seated hammy curls.

There is a seated calf press machine where you push with your toes - I'm not a big fan of it, at least not in the brand we have at FF. The leg press is bad too.

Yeah there are a lot of legs presses out there which I find are just BAD, if you can get a good quality well designed 45deg leg press they are pretty awesome.... any of the seated flat ones I have used have been crap.

Hammer Strength are the only decent flat seat type I've used. Got one at our work gym, they should have got the uni lateral version like the pic below
Still much prefer the 45 deg style though. Maybe just because you can move more weight on it
hammer-strength-leg-press-1.jpg

Actually yeah I have used on of those, and just found it awkward, but probably one of the better seated leg presses.

I don't like having to start and stop from a contracted position. It's like racking your squat at the bottom.
The good 45 deg sleds have the stays at the top, where all the nasty cable sleds (and the one I just pictured) are the opposite.

Hammer Strength are the only decent flat seat type I've used. Got one at our work gym, they should have got the uni lateral version like the pic below
Still much prefer the 45 deg style though. Maybe just because you can move more weight on it
View attachment 9854

If you can load that particular machine to maximum (230kg) seat close to pads, and do 20 controlled rep's each leg and when I say "controlled" I mean slow movement, using no momentum, no banging on the rubber stops right to the last rep, then I'll shut-up.

I've got no doubts about its ability to work, I just don't find it as comfortable as the 45 deg sled, mostly because of the contracted starting position like I mentioned

Chest press machines seem useless for lanks.
No seat height / depth combination suits tallies. Pop your shoulders out it will

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

View attachment 9854

This is good because the leg press is on a pivot instead of a sled