• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Heavy loading causes cartilage breakdown

S

Stiffy

Joint Effort
Jim Stoppani, PhD.

Bodybuilding is all about mass: building more muscle mass means lifting more mass in the gym. No bones about it, you must train heavy to get huge. Just take a look at the poundage hoisted by some of the sport’s biggest pros, such as Ronnie Coleman, Markus Rühl and Dorian Yates. These guys train hard and heavy and it shows. The irony of training with a lot of mass to put on muscle mass is that it has the opposite effect on joints. Lifting heavy weights actually reduces the mass of cartilage. Researchers headed by a scientist from Ohio State University (Columbus) have discovered that heavy loading causes cartilage breakdown. Don’t drop those 120-pound dumbbells just yet, though. The good news is that they’ve also discovered how to build the cartilage back up and prevent further breakdown.

The team of scientists discovered that heavy loads — such as weights that prevent you from completing more than eight reps — can cause inflammation in joints that results in cartilage deconstruction and inhibits its reconstruction. Heavy weight seems to affect genes in cartilage cells that cause cell-signaling molecules, called cytokines, to initiate a chain of events that result in the release of chemicals that appear to attack the cartilage. This type of attack is similar to that in arthritis.
If you frequently train heavy and your elbows, knees, hips or shoulders are sore, it may not necessarily be due to a specific training injury. It could be the breakdown of your joint cartilage over time from the heavy pounding your joints sustain. Ask any oldtime bodybuilder who trains heavy about joint pain, and he’ll likely recite a long list of aching joints that he has accumulated over the years ..........................

- See more at: Joint Effort | FLEX Online

Moral of the story, keep reps above 8 lol. Anyone going to do it?

great news, I rarely train heavy and mainly train on moderate weights

you train above 8 reps most of the time mate?

The study also found that training in the 15-20 rep range helped reverse the damage of sub 8 rep sets.

While I agree that there are benefits to higher reps the study mentions the benefits of fish oil and glucosamine for joint health which is very flimsy as best. Makes me suspect about the rest of their study.

not necessarily on more than 8 reps, but mostly on 60% of max, a weight i can do about 30-35 reps on if I go all out. my training primarily with very strict from and short rests.

I get around 4 on 90%, 10 on 80% and 20 on 70% all out for one set.

Last edited:
The study doesn't take into account progression. The weight you used for 8 reps during your first year of training is certainly different to now.

It's unfortunate but true: AAS can make your muscles grow and gain strength in record time, leaving your supporting columns (tendons and ligaments) vulnerable to injuries. Even some pro bodybuilders let their ego race ahead of them, causing them to suffer with torn ligaments that simply can not withstand the sheer (and sudden) gain in strength from AAS. One needs to train smart above all else, by taking the whole package into consideration and arrange for his or her workout accordingly. No one ever thinks of actually increasing the reps (or training differently) instead of simply increasing the weights when on AAS, but perhaps that is exactly what is needed at this critical time. Food for thoughts....

Fadi.